Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM

32 posts, read 125,007 times

Advertisements

hello...my husband and two daughters and i have been considering a move from kentucky to either st petersburg or ft walton beach area..both which we love...but st pete has so many negatives as far as crime and schools..could anyone give us advice on the economy in ft walton area..school information and how safe the area is...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
The area is safer than St Pete and a lot lower in cost. Schools are rated A+, we have the advantage of military money donate to the school system for improvements in equipment and facilities.

The economy of FWB is based in military support for Hulrburt Field and Eglin AFB, the overall economic impact of the Eglin Complex for Okaloosa
is $5,000,000,000 annually This requirement is satisfied via GOV contractors and is related to the Aerospace Industry and logistical support. I work for one of the top 10 contractors in the DOD and the pay and benefits is superb. Local bases support over 60,000 active military, civil service, and military dependents. Therefore all types of jobs are available.

Tourism is the second largest economic contributor for Okaloosa County.

Tourism...
...measures $1,000,000,000 annually;
...provides 35,000 job opportunities; and
...holds down the local ad-valorem taxes.

Although the primary attractions are the beautiful sugar-white beaches and the bountiful fishing, there are many other recreational activities to enjoy in Okaloosa County.

Our third economic pillar is retail: With an estimated 4.5 million people visiting the Emerald Coast annually Okaloosa enjoys its stable year-round consumer activity. Although tourism peaks in the spring and summer, vacationers and part-time residents enjoy the mild fall and winter months. Add this population influx to the local population of 180,000 and that equates to a stable year-round retail environment.

Okaloosa County Online
Okaloosa County Property Appraiser
Okaloosa County School District > Home ( DNN 4.0.2 )
Home

Hope this helps....

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 41,776 times
Are Hvac jobs available in Ft. Walton?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM

164 posts, read 984,430 times
If you have a HVAC certification you should have no problems finding work. I have talked to a few people that have applied at open maintenance positions and been turned down because they do not have that HVAC certification. I know of one position open now in the FWB area that needs an HVAC certified person. PM me for details.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 41,776 times
Thanks for your help!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
If you have a HVAC certification you should have no problems finding work. I have talked to a few people that have applied at open maintenance positions and been turned down because they do not have that HVAC certification. I know of one position open now in the FWB area that needs an HVAC certified person. PM me for details.
Positions are available and the individuals with certifications will be contacted before the ones without a cert.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 21,285 times
How is the job market in this area? I am also from Ky, and I am looking for a change. I currently work for the state as an auditor, and was wondering about accounting jobs in the Ft. Walton/Destin area. If anyone has any info, that would be great!! Thank you

Old 07-13-2008, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 29,048 times
I lived in Fort Walton and thought the traffic was crazy but overall crime is not an issue. Longwood Elementary is wonderful. I did not like Kenwood, thought they didn't have time for the children. Destin beaches are beautiful... Good Luck

Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 21,285 times
Thanks for your help!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 PM

440 posts, read 2,425,968 times
Here are some employment links that we thought might be helpful.

Walton Sun Classifieds

Northwest Florida Daily News

Panama City News Herald

Emerald Coast Jobs

Walton County Jobs (http://www.co.walton.fl.us/default.asp?id=5 - broken link)

Okaloosa County Jobs

Bay County Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida