Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM

20 posts, read 99,744 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new at this but wanted to give it a shot..

I wanted to start a thread for people who have moved TO Florida ***FROM Ohio.*** I'm not talking for the three cold months out of the year..but rather have experienced florida for many years and can offer advice to those who are considering leaving Ohio to reside in FL. My reasoning falls behind this: Obviously, i am in the slow process of possibly moving to florida. i have visited this site daily for the past couple weeks and found most of it extremely helpful. i have read hundreds of posts from florida residents and found them to be very honest and i really appreciate that. the problem i am running across, are the complete conflicting reports of "yes, move to fl" vs "no, i've lived here my whole life, dont do it." I, too, would tell ppl definitely do not move to OH but even though i have lived here my entire life, im sure others who live out of state might somehow, find it a pleasant place to live. i want to be able to talk to ppl who know the youngstown, akron, even columbus area and be able to compare it to parts of florida so i know what i'm dealing with. i am completely aware that ultimately it will be that of mine and my husbands choice to make and everyone likes different things, so we need to check the area out ourselves, but i would somehow feel better talking to a person who has transitioned from ohio to florida.
we got married in Clearwater (sand key park beach) this past Oct and loved it. the night we flew back to Columbus, Oh it was a cold rain and a high of 50 degrees. needless to say, we just looked at each other. four hours ago, we were in 85 degree weather and soaking our toes into white sand. we made the decision to start looking into florida as a place to call home... and soon we became confused on what is considered "good and bad" areas of florida. not sure if florida is for us after what we've read.. part of it sounds like it could be.. but then a lot of fl residents seem to really hate their state according to this forum. which again, is why i'm hoping only previous Ohio residents respond.
we are curious about hurricanes..what residents do/prepare for/during them, bugs (scorpions..pretty much anything that isnt in ohio, etc), and the areas with low crime rates. Right now we're looking into the Tampa area but we've jumped around the state and really just want to know first of all, if florida in general is right for us. we're very laid back people, dont like to be around a big city but not in BFE, either. Right now we live in New Albany.. outside of Columbus and love it (as far as how quiet things are and no crime issues, but some stores are around us and polaris and easton are 10-15 minutes away.) this is what we're looking for in florida. we also want to be within an hour of a beach but if the drive is 2hrs, we'll take it. i work part time retail, but my husband is a full time supervisor and has a job that can transfer to a store in fl. we're looking to live in an upscale apartment first (which we have already found a few) and then look into housing after a year to make sure we like the area. FLorida looks so beautiful and i know every state has its pros and cons.. im not expecting paradise, but my gut says it very well could be bc ohio just stinks...in my opinion. haha Thanks to anyone who is able to help.. it definitely is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
We also live outside of Columbus and are moving to Florida within the next couple months.

New Albany is very nice and has little to zero crime.

Others will chime in as to the things on your list but right now I cannot think of a town like New Albany that has both of those nice shopping places to go to in Florida.

I would think the closer to Orlando the shopping will be there but then you are to far from beach.

Here is a thread of people who have moved to Florida with success and how they were successful in making their moves.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...e-been-15.html

You will see the same posters here in this forum posting most of the negatives. Most of them made the wrong moves, wrong towns, wrong jobs, etc and are down on Florida.

Florida cannot be all that bad knowing it is the 4th most populated state and growing again.

Sure you have to pick the right town and have jobs lined up but far to many have been very successful in moving to Florida.

Research is the key. Then spending time in the towns of your choice is a vital part of your decision.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
While i'm not from Ohio, I worked with MANY people from Ohio when I did live in Florida. They all thought Florida was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Also worked with many from Illinois and Michigan, who thought the same.

From what most of them told me about the winters in the upper mid west, I can see why.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 AM

11 posts, read 45,729 times
This is kind of a long story and not all that relevant to your issues, but I do have an opinion that I'll express at the end....so, read on.

I recently moved from Columbus, Ohio to Florida. I am currently living in the panhandle in a house that we bought a few years ago for my husband to live in because he had taken a job down here. I have since retired and moved down here with him. Our plan all along was for this to be a temporary move and our destination is the Orlando area. The housing crisis has put a bit of a damper on our plans, but we are pressing forward.

Compared to Columbus, I really feel like I'm in BFE. It's a nice enough area...30 minute drive to some of the most beautiful beaches you'll ever see. But this quiet lifestyle is not really for me. There are areas in the panhandle that are more "city-like" than where I live. Maybe someone else can give you better information about those areas. What I do love is being able to open my doors and windows in January. I honestly do not think I could have taken one more Ohio winter. It was hotter than blazes down here this past summer, but I loved every minute of it (except for the few days that our air conditioner wasn't working...ha!).

The economy is really bad in Florida right now. Well -- guess what. It's really bad in Ohio right now too. So if people are scoring based on the economy -- we're even. It would be hard to make a decision based on that. It sounds like employment is not an issue for you and that's great.

I am retired on a very nice pension with fully-paid health care benefits until I'm 65 (I'm 52). I know I am very fortunate. My dream has always been to live in the central Florida area. I want to be one of those people who works one or two days a week making magic happen for families and little ones at "The Happiest Place on Earth."

If you think you'd like to move to Florida, perhaps the thing to consider is "what's the worst that could happen?" You'll never know unless you try. You only go around once. Follow your heart. Follow your dreams.

As I said, I know I haven't really addressed your issues. I'm just trying to send an encouraging word. I am very happy that I made the move and I know I will be even happier once I get to central Florida. I am a "cup half-full" kind of person and I believe it's all what you make of it.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 AM

53 posts, read 193,393 times
I'm an Ohioan currently. I bought a house in the Bridgewater community in Lakeland. Lakeland is about 35 minutes to Disney and 30 minutes to Tampa. It is a new (opened in 2007) planned community. I am going to more there full time in two years when I retire at 53. I am a Disney fanatic! But, I have loved to vacation in Florida all my life. Last winter wasthe final straw for me. I watch the Lakeland temps on a daily basis and except for a few days I would be wearing shorts all the time. I was able to buy a new model home for approx. 1/2 price! I couldn't pass it up!

Good luck to all buckeye snowbirds or permanent snowbirds! O-H-I-O!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Wow, i got replies! Thank you guys for responding!

Sunny-Days90: thanks for posting that link for the success stories, i'll definitely be reading through it...my husband and i were so excited about moving to florida and after reading so many negatives from people, it really brought us down. although we definitely want to know both the pros and cons, it stills sucks when you feel like u really want to do something and then you hear bad things about it. maybe i'll be able to relate to one of those success stories.

markhunt: yeah, winters here are awful, but it could be worse...Chicago gets way more than we do and so so does Buffalo NY, so we're kind of in the middle.. but we get enough. haha waist high snow is fun to play in for about the first hour and then it gets old real quick. and the snow is pretty, dont get me wrong, i would miss it.. but it sticks around for what seems like ever! i'm sure florida natives would understand why we want to move when for months most of us are stuck inside, its constantly gloomy out, you cant go do anything bc the roads are bad, so you stuff your face with food and gain weight.. i always get excited for the first snow, but even try to embrace it by sledding and making snow men, but i'm more of a beach kinda gal. i'm constantly freezing even in summers up here.. it's like it cant get hot enough for my liking in ohio. you mentioned u work with some MI ppl who love fl... weird, cuz a lot of the "dont move here" posts i've read were from MI ppl. hmm, maybe they've changed their mind

Debbie3052: i loved so many things you said...especially about the economy. it really is bad EVERYWHERE. ohio is horrible! it took me over a year to find the job i have now and i've worked retail for 8 years! the country seems to be falling apart at the seems. i Hope you get to move to central florida, though! i agree with your "whats the worse that could happen" motto, and we do have some more research and visiting to do,hopefully we'll find something, bc my gut says not to give up on florida just yet.

Jeffwltrs: hahaha although i live in Columbus, i am not a buckeye fan at all. haha my husband is though, so he'll spell the state with you. (; i'm a pro football girl.. go steelers!! (i'm originally from youngstown..family in pittsburgh) When we were at the tampa airport, i did buy a gators shirt, though wear it all the time in columbus and boy...the looks i get. haha owell. i love how we're known as the "Snowbirds".. not sure if thats a good thing or not,though haha. i've read many a post on Florida natives who feel us northerners are changing their state...? im not sure in what ways... i kinda feel bad that we're not really "wanted" down there, but i'm sorry, i need to be near a beach STAT! we also considered Lakeland/Brandon/Plant City area..in our case, we heard bad bad things about those areas.. lots of crime? i too LOVE Disney.. only been there twice.. once at 8, again at 10. i know, i know, i need to make a trip there, too.. haha.. a lot has been added. i just remember epcot, the big silver ball thing, and a purple monster looking guy--Figmont? i dont know if thats how u spell his name.. i loved him though. i also went on Space Mountain and cried my eyes out the entire time, so i should probably give that another run, being 27 now haha i have read great things about the housing market in florida. things are cheaper than ohio, thats for sure! however, no basements. my husband is terrified of tornadoes and still believes that even though fl rarely sees them, we would be having them as ohio does. me, i would storm chase if i could..i'm the type you have to drag back inside bc i love watching storms on the porch. hurricanes would be an interesting thing to experience though. do ppl just sit inside and wait for it to be over? do they have to take cover like a tornado? or do they leave the state n get a hotel away from it for a night?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:36 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhByeOhio View Post
you mentioned u work with some MI ppl who love fl... weird, cuz a lot of the "dont move here" posts i've read were from MI ppl. hmm, maybe they've changed their mind
One was from Livonia. One from Waterford. One from Saugatuck (This guy seemed like the only one which would have considered moving back one day). And the last guy I can't remember exactly where, but it was in the upper peninsula somewhere.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Shame on you for being a Steeler fan!!!!! Especially, coming from the home of Bernie Kosar!

My advice is to plan, plan, plan! I started researching in March and bought in August. I spent every night on the internet and made three trips to Florida in 2010. I have been going to Disney area for about 20 years.

Since your 27, I would suggest if you have kids or will to research the schools systems. I believe there are some really bad school systems in Florida.

Where I have a home in Lakeland I'm two minutes to I-4 and I can head to Disney or go west to the beaches. The are alot of big projects getting underway around my location so the job market there should improve dramatically soon.

Also, watch out for the real estate taxes. They are handled very different from O-H-I-O! Watch out or atleast understand what CDD is and whatch out for "portability."

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Also, watch out for toll roads they are everywhere in central florida!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 PM

No shame here at all for being a steeler fan!!!!!!!! one of the best and respectful teams in the nfl..unlike EVERY team in ohio. :gag:

we're planning a trip in early march to check out the entire tampa area.. although i'm not against living on the east coast either.. so we'll have to make as many trips as possible. we just want to find an area of fl like what we have now.. but with a beach and warmer weather, less ppl!!! columbus is way too crowded. we looked up and compared populations to some areas in fl.. higher in columbus.. i was shocked. but everyone who grew up in OH that is too scared to leave the state, migrate to columbus thinking there will be more jobs here. wrong. more opportunity? yes.. but theres more ppl here too, so getting a job is pretty difficult. we're use to toll roads.. go to pittsburgh a lot, so we take the tolls. as far as kids go, we dont have any and as of right now, we dont plan on bringing one into this disgusting world. it's too scary, costly, and not really worth it. but i agree, i've read up on schools in fl, and i was surprised to learn they're not that great. we may be 27, but we're very wise for our age. we like quiet.. not really into the club scene.. right now we live in an area that consists of mostly old ppl.. we enjoy simplicity rather than noise and drama. not familiar with this CDD u mentioned.. great, more research. this is getting to be so frustrating. haha :/ maybe we should try another state haha i dont feel like we're asking for a lot.. near a beach, warm/hot weather, low crime, and not overly populated.

btw, just curious.. scorpions...are they in florida? some ppl say they've lived there for years and have never seen one. what other kind of bugs do you have to worry about down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida