U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-18-2019, 08:52 PM
 
9 posts, read 1,723 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your insight. No one mentioned the two I was leaning towards (mainly because my parents are snowbirds in not-too-far-away Vero) - Titusville or Port Orange. Does anyone have any thoughts on those possibilities?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM
 
Location: US
17,921 posts, read 17,824,107 times
Reputation: 13930
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobieZ View Post
Thank you everyone for your insight. No one mentioned the two I was leaning towards (mainly because my parents are snowbirds in not-too-far-away Vero) - Titusville or Port Orange. Does anyone have any thoughts on those possibilities?

That's because you aren't a White senior citizen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 AM
 
830 posts, read 1,030,104 times
Reputation: 1004
If you need to be close to your parents, I'd pick Titusville over port Orange. You can live on cocoa beach and enjoy a beach lifestyle and be 45 minutes to Orlando. The area does have a lot of seniors and is conservative so that's why people have not recommended it for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 AM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Reputation: 19622
Port Orange isn't a "senior community" according to census information given 1/3 of the population has kids under the age of 18, and by/large no different than most smaller cities in FL in that regard. Titusville trends a little younger on average but is otherwise similar. Port Orange has a lot more going on nearby in terms of restaurants/bars and things to do versus Titusville, which is kind of by itself in the northern end of Brevard County.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 AM
 
295 posts, read 105,972 times
Reputation: 408
Look for jobs in Tampa/St Pete then! haha just kidding. I understand wanting to be near your folks. You'd find a lot of people more your style there, though.

Titusville would be my choice of the ones listed. As a young professional, I think it will give you the most opportunity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 AM
 
Location: US
17,921 posts, read 17,824,107 times
Reputation: 13930
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Port Orange isn't a "senior community" according to census information given 1/3 of the population has kids under the age of 18, and by/large no different than most smaller cities in FL in that regard. Titusville trends a little younger on average but is otherwise similar. Port Orange has a lot more going on nearby in terms of restaurants/bars and things to do versus Titusville, which is kind of by itself in the northern end of Brevard County.

Port Orange is 84% White with a median age of 48 which is 10 years older than the national median. A lot of the small coastal cities in FL are retirement communities.


Titusville is 75% White with a median age of 46 years old. Florida has been known as a place for retirees. However, there are cities in Florida that are very much family dominated cities. The small coastal towns, most of them are not those cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,190 posts, read 8,287,258 times
Reputation: 19872
What sort of practice are you setting up?

Are you able to just move here and work? Getting a green card isn't an easy thing to do unless you are investing several hundred thousands of dollars in a business and creating jobs for US citizens.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 AM
 
9 posts, read 1,723 times
Reputation: 10
I am a dentist and I do have it arranged to work there. It sounds like Jacksonville or Titusville are good options. I looked into meetup groups and there are a few with younger people in Titusville so that is encouraging. I really appreciate all your insight here - it has helped me with my decision-making. Next step is to visit the communities and get a feel for them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 AM
 
Location: US
17,921 posts, read 17,824,107 times
Reputation: 13930
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobieZ View Post
I am a dentist and I do have it arranged to work there. It sounds like Jacksonville or Titusville are good options. I looked into meetup groups and there are a few with younger people in Titusville so that is encouraging. I really appreciate all your insight here - it has helped me with my decision-making. Next step is to visit the communities and get a feel for them.

Jacksonville and Titusville are polar opposites. One is a tiny town and the other is a major FL city. But yes, definitely visit as you plan to, it will be quite clear once you're here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM
 
295 posts, read 105,972 times
Reputation: 408
Cobie, if Jacksonville is on your list, I would definitely pick that over Titusville. You had mentioned Port Orange and Titusville. But if Jacksonville is an option, go for that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top