U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:33 PM

2,327 posts, read 841,356 times

Advertisements

I will NOT be mixing Bleach and Ammonia. I think I'll start out with a mixture of 90% water, 10% bleach on a small area, use a brush w/ long handle, then rinse with my hose using a high pressure nozzle.

I hope this won't discolor my bronze colored screen framing, or harm the vinyl screen. I doubt it could harm the painted textured floor surface. I think I'll dry the frame with an old towell, then discard, and use my leaf blower from a safe distance to blow any water off the screen.

I heard at some point, I'll also need to clean the screen w/ mildew cleaner. I hear Green slime will start to grow on it. My screen gets quite a bit of morning Sun, so perhaps that won't be very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 PM

1,338 posts, read 1,383,033 times
Anything that makes cleaning mildew easy can affect metal. It will make a difference on what you are using, the type of metal/finish, the amount and length of contact. I doubt fumes will affect the metal but having liquid sitting for 10 minutes against metal may.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:48 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,051,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I will NOT be mixing Bleach and Ammonia. I think I'll start out with a mixture of 90% water, 10% bleach on a small area, use a brush w/ long handle, then rinse with my hose using a high pressure nozzle.

I hope this won't discolor my bronze colored screen framing, or harm the vinyl screen. I doubt it could harm the painted textured floor surface. I think I'll dry the frame with an old towell, then discard, and use my leaf blower from a safe distance to blow any water off the screen.

I heard at some point, I'll also need to clean the screen w/ mildew cleaner. I hear Green slime will start to grow on it. My screen gets quite a bit of morning Sun, so perhaps that won't be very often.

Is the bronzed porch frame actual anodized aluminum, or is it painted (also known as "architectural" or "quaker" bronze)? If the former, you'll need to clean it with mild dish soap & water. If the latter, a diluted bleach solution is unlikely to harm it.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Is the bronzed porch frame actual anodized aluminum, or is it painted (also known as "architectural" or "quaker" bronze)? If the former, you'll need to clean it with mild dish soap & water. If the latter, a diluted bleach solution is unlikely to harm it.
I have no idea which it is. I'll do my best to keep the bleach solution away from it, and wipe it all down with a dry cloth afterwards.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:16 AM

291 posts, read 449,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Lanai rookie here. Our Lanai on our newly built home is large, has a painted & textured cement slab floor. No pool, no pets, no kids. We had it all screened in w/ bronze aluminum frame and Fifer 20/20 screen. The exterior walls are stucco.

The Lanai faces South, but it the Sun still manages to reach ~1/2 of the floor each morning. No trees on our property, or w/in falling distance, so good air circulation. No flowers or plants inside the Lanai, some plants/shrubs outside of it, but at least 2 feet away. Pine nugget mulch I'm removing soon anyways.

We've been in the home 8 months now, and parts of the floor are just beginniing to get Black mildew. Not too bad yet, but its noticeable, and I'd like to clean it.

I see these plastic gallon bottles in the home improvement stores, "wet & forget" was 1 brand I saw, but geez they are $10/jug. I don't own a pressure washer, and I think that would be overkill at this point. I'd like to avoid having to buy, or rent, a pressure washer, or costly chemicals.

Can't I just use some bleach diluted 90% w/ hot water, and a rigid broom, then hose it away? Would that harm the bronze finish on the screen? The painted floor? If I mistakingly splash some on the vinyl screen, will it damage the screen?

Do I really need the costly cleanser?

You do NOT use a pressure washer with Wet & Forget, just an inexpensive pump sprayer. And while it may seem expensive, it really isn't. You dilute it with water, 5 parts water to 1 part Wet & Forget.

The stuff is amazing, but it doesn't work quickly. Sun and rain activates it. It works on black mildew and green algea on any surface. You need to apply it in the shade, and if the forecast calls for rain, a few hours before rain is expected.

It won't harm plants, grass, the lanai, or even you. The first time I used it, I had never used a pump sprayer before. I unscrewed the top of the sprayer while it was still pressurized, and got a face full of the stuff. It didn't even make my eyes sting, and had no effect on my colored hair.

The key to using it is to apply it as soon as you see the black mildew or green algea. On the lanai deck, you'll see the black mildew turn brown in a few minutes. That means it's working. Eventually, the mildew disappears. How long it takes depends on how much is there.

If you need the area to be cleaned immediately, use something stronger, then keep up with it with Wet & Forget. I keep a pump sprayer (available from any hardware store in a variety of sizes) filled with the stuff at all times. I have an electric pressure washer that I used to have to use at least twice a year on my huge lanai deck that spans the entire back of my house and around my pool (an all-day job for me), but since I found Wet & Forget, I've only needed to use it once a year when I didn't keep up with the black mildew on the off season (I'm in north FL).

For the lanai screens, I just hose them off every once in awhile.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 PM

KayT15,
Now that sounds like great advice. I have a pump sprayer, so I'll buy that stuff, dilute it and spray it on the lanai floor.

The price doestn sound so crazy now that I know the dilution ratio.

I'll report back on results.

Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida