U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 4,864 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I tried posting this elsewhere but it kept saying it couldn't post, so I'm goimg to try here-

First off, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this to try and help out

My husband and I are looking to move to the Orlando area later this year but are just looking for some advice.

We are from a suburb of Chicago, and over the last 8 years, have moved back and fourt between Chicago and LA four, (yes, FOUR) times. All of our family is in Chicago, but he was offered a job out of College in LA about 7 years ago so we moved out there. Unforunately, I had a hard time adjusting being so far from family, so we moved back home a couple of times, the last time being this past June. Things were okay being back here but within about 4 months of us being back, my dad ended up being diagnoased with kidney and liver failure and a month after he was diagnoased he passed away. He was in icu, did hospice at home, it was awful. 90% of the reason I wanted to move back to IL was because I am so close with my dad, so this happened and it just destroyed me. The rest of our families are here, but between my dad being gone and having to drive around our town (same town my husband and I grew up in that we live in now and where my dad lived) I am having to constantly drive by places my dad loved here or places we went together and it's just a constant struggle. It may sound crazy but it is what it is. So anyways, I need to get out. I didn't like LA. Too many people, terrified of the risk of earthquakes (which I know is small, but I have really bad anxiety and worry about these things), and it was so crazy expensive. My husband and I don't have kids but are insane Disney freaks. We spent almost every weekend at Disneyland and since I don't like CA that much and Disneyworld is better imo anyways (ha) I thought why not move to Florida. However, I have some questions that will probably sound super dumb.

Again, let me remind you that I have anxiety and just worry about potential things.

I hate snakes. I have been trying to do as much research as I can to see if this move will be right for us, but am just having a hard time getting anything. I don't mind snakes outside. I won't be in ponds, lakes or basically anything other then a pool. But I read online about snakes or the huge palmetto (prob spelled wrong, sorry!) bugs getting into your house? We will be moving to an apartment, preferably on the top floor. I have a cat so I'm just worried about these things like getting in and eating her or something? (i'm sure at this point you think I'm crazy but I warned you I have bad anxiety!) Can snakes like sneak into your apartment through toilets or drains or something? It's not like I would be leaving doors open, but idk if there are other ways for them to get in. Again, I've never really worried about these bugs/animals so idk what to expect! We had snakes in CA but I never saw them. To be honest i'm just more worried about snakes/huge bugs getting into my apt and like eating my cat. (Again. i realize this may sound insane. lol) Is it super stupid to be afraid to move to Florida because I am worried about sinkholes/snakes/huge bugs getting into my apt?

What about sinkholes? We will be most likely living in the Winter Springs area- does that warrant any issues? From what I can tell that area seems to be pretty safe, but again, I'm going off what I'm reading. We are mainly trying to find a safe place not far from Disney.

I realize the weather is hot and humid, but I hate. HATE. The cold and snow and am just done with it!

Thank you to anyone who stuck with me through this post and for any advice you may have.
Sorry if my questions are whack but just needed to get some info before we make this huge move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 AM

82 posts, read 35,416 times
I've lived in Florida for 6 years and have rarely seen a snake. The snakes you would most likely encounter here would be black racers and they are far more afraid of you than you are of them. I wouldn't worry at all about snakes. Sinkholes do occur in central and northern Florida so I imagine you could encounter that but it's not likely. People have been killed by sinkholes in Florida but it's not a common occurence. You'd have a far greater chance of getting killed in a car wreck driving back and forth between Disney World.

I've lived in condos, houses and villas and have not had one Palmetto bug in any of my dwellings. Most people hire exterminators here to spray for bugs and they do a good job of keeping them under control. I wouldn't worry about bugs.

Florida is a good place to live. As with any place you have to take the good with the bad. There's far more good here than bad. Good luck with your decision to move!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM

17,453 posts, read 10,529,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatethecoldweather87 View Post
Hi everyone! I tried posting this elsewhere but it kept saying it couldn't post, so I'm goimg to try here-

First off, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this to try and help out

My husband and I are looking to move to the Orlando area later this year but are just looking for some advice.

We are from a suburb of Chicago, and over the last 8 years, have moved back and fourt between Chicago and LA four, (yes, FOUR) times. All of our family is in Chicago, but he was offered a job out of College in LA about 7 years ago so we moved out there. Unforunately, I had a hard time adjusting being so far from family, so we moved back home a couple of times, the last time being this past June. Things were okay being back here but within about 4 months of us being back, my dad ended up being diagnoased with kidney and liver failure and a month after he was diagnoased he passed away. He was in icu, did hospice at home, it was awful. 90% of the reason I wanted to move back to IL was because I am so close with my dad, so this happened and it just destroyed me. The rest of our families are here, but between my dad being gone and having to drive around our town (same town my husband and I grew up in that we live in now and where my dad lived) I am having to constantly drive by places my dad loved here or places we went together and it's just a constant struggle. It may sound crazy but it is what it is. So anyways, I need to get out. I didn't like LA. Too many people, terrified of the risk of earthquakes (which I know is small, but I have really bad anxiety and worry about these things), and it was so crazy expensive. My husband and I don't have kids but are insane Disney freaks. We spent almost every weekend at Disneyland and since I don't like CA that much and Disneyworld is better imo anyways (ha) I thought why not move to Florida. However, I have some questions that will probably sound super dumb.

Again, let me remind you that I have anxiety and just worry about potential things.

I hate snakes. I have been trying to do as much research as I can to see if this move will be right for us, but am just having a hard time getting anything. I don't mind snakes outside. I won't be in ponds, lakes or basically anything other then a pool. But I read online about snakes or the huge palmetto (prob spelled wrong, sorry!) bugs getting into your house? We will be moving to an apartment, preferably on the top floor. I have a cat so I'm just worried about these things like getting in and eating her or something? (i'm sure at this point you think I'm crazy but I warned you I have bad anxiety!) Can snakes like sneak into your apartment through toilets or drains or something? It's not like I would be leaving doors open, but idk if there are other ways for them to get in. Again, I've never really worried about these bugs/animals so idk what to expect! We had snakes in CA but I never saw them. To be honest i'm just more worried about snakes/huge bugs getting into my apt and like eating my cat. (Again. i realize this may sound insane. lol) Is it super stupid to be afraid to move to Florida because I am worried about sinkholes/snakes/huge bugs getting into my apt?

What about sinkholes? We will be most likely living in the Winter Springs area- does that warrant any issues? From what I can tell that area seems to be pretty safe, but again, I'm going off what I'm reading. We are mainly trying to find a safe place not far from Disney.

I realize the weather is hot and humid, but I hate. HATE. The cold and snow and am just done with it!

Thank you to anyone who stuck with me through this post and for any advice you may have.
Sorry if my questions are whack but just needed to get some info before we make this huge move!
I live East of Orlando in South Volusia County. Never seen a snake, sinkholes in this area are not a problem at all, I spray with a bug killer from Lowes and have had no problems at all and rarely see one in the house. I am about 1 hr from Disney, except during rush hour, and 20 minutes to be right on the beach. I also hate the cold.

To me your biggest issue will be when you move you will begin to long again to be near where you grew up with your father and had wonderful times. Now you may be sad but later you would again begin to miss those areas.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Hi,

Thank you both so much for your help and insights- it has really helped! It's so hard trying to gather info about a place when you live nowhere near it, but I appreciate your help!

Old 02-23-2019, 03:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 625,374 times
for me personally, the worst thing about living in Florida full time is the extreme heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year, and the flat boring landscape..the better part of it is not having to deal with 4 or more months of cold snowy weather..We're from Maryland btw..come on down, it's starting to a little crowded..you'll fit right in..

Old 02-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Haha that's what I hear!

Does anyone have any info on sinkholes?

The area we are looking at (Winter Springs) apparently had one a few years back and the County it is in seems to be prone to them (at least from what i've read but who knows)

Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 PM

17,453 posts, read 10,529,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatethecoldweather87 View Post
Haha that's what I hear!

Does anyone have any info on sinkholes?

The area we are looking at (Winter Springs) apparently had one a few years back and the County it is in seems to be prone to them (at least from what i've read but who knows)
Try

https://www.foundationprosfl.com/flo...oaAvR6EALw_wcB

https://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/ga...oles/index.php

https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../30/192278.htm

Old 02-25-2019, 02:10 PM

70 posts, read 30,892 times
As a long time Chicagoan recently moved to Florida, (Naples) I think your fears are somewhat justified.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about snakes, (I live in a wooded rural area). I saw more in Chicago than here so far.

As for bugs, yeah they are here. You have to spray of course, exterminator what have you. I've really not seen too much inside with spraying, however I have seen a couple of palmetto bugs in the house which I have managed to vacuum up and dispose of them. You're going to get bugs, don't let anyone fool you, but it's not as bad as you think.
Also seem to get those millipedes sometimes too. Outside of course all bets are off, you need a screen if you want to enjoy sitting nights outside.

Again I had more problems in Chicago indoors all year than here, (so far anyway).

Can't help you with sinkholes, I wouldnt want that worry myself either.

Orlando though seems much more humid/hotter than the coastal areas but its still h&h everywhere in FL. but as I see it it's better than the cold of the Midwest from November to basically April.

I had had enough of the cold too,(and taxes,and politics,etc) so here we are.

Maybe one day we'll miss the cold, but for now I certainly don't!

Old 02-26-2019, 07:51 AM

11,364 posts, read 7,698,258 times
I lived in Broward county, the Fort Lauderdale area for about 8 years and never saw a snake. I live in Lee county in the Fort Myers area now for 3 years and I do occasionally see those thin black snakes, I just call them garden snakes. They won't come into your house, I leave my back door open when the dogs are out and none has ever come in. those little lizards will come in, but they will hide and dry out and die if they can't find their way back outside.

The snakes are creepy but they are harmless. Usually they will move when you see them, One time one just stood there next to my house when I had the dogs out trying to get sun I guess. They live under the crawl spaces in homes and eat bugs to that's a plus. We do have poisonous snakes from what I've read but they are about the same size as the other ones, and I've only seen one that was dead and dried up they are colorful and have rings of different colors.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:47 PM

33 posts, read 8,832 times
Love the name OP. I'm for mid-Michigan and moved to Florida 3 years ago. I'm in Clearwater, I've never seen a snake in the wild here. (now it will probably happen because I said this lol) Yes, you might see a few palmetto bugs. They are cockroaches that can fly lol. You will need to spray every so often and they will stay away. Our apartment complex does it for free if you request the exterminator. You just have to make sure not to spray too often or the bugs will become immune to the chemicals. They are harmless though, just gross looking. If anything your cat will destroy them for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or