U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 AM

9 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

I'm a 34 year old single male living and working in Dallas, TX currently. I recently accepted a promotion with my company where I can work from home and live anywhere. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and most of my friends and family are on the east coast of the US so I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity and move back east. I would like to live near a beach in a warm/sunny climate, but I also would like to be in or near a major city with a high percentage of young professionals. The job will require travel around the US several times a month so easy access to a major airport is essential. I'm considering the Tampa Bay area, Sarasota, Jacksonville, or even southeast FL but I am open to other recommendations along the east coast of the US that I may be overlooking.

Summarizing my search criteria below...

- 34 year old single male professional working from home, looking to meet women
- Easy access to a major airport
- In or near a major city
- Near nice beaches
- Warm/sunny climate
- Eastern US
- Looking to rent a newer/upscale home/townhome, condo, or apartment
- Music/arts/culture and restaurants/bars are important

I look forward to hearing your ideas. Thank you!

Dan
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 09:09 AM

830 posts, read 1,028,848 times
What is your budget? Are you looking to rent an apartment or buy a condo or home? That will help people try to figure out a spot for you.The cost of living varies drastically across the state with Jacksonville and Tampa on the affordable sides and Sarasota and southeast Florida towards the other side.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,829,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermandan View Post
I'm a 34 year old single male living and working in Dallas, TX currently. I recently accepted a promotion with my company where I can work from home and live anywhere. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and most of my friends and family are on the east coast of the US so I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity and move back east. I would like to live near a beach in a warm/sunny climate, but I also would like to be in or near a major city with a high percentage of young professionals. The job will require travel around the US several times a month so easy access to a major airport is essential. I'm considering the Tampa Bay area, Sarasota, Jacksonville, or even southeast FL but I am open to other recommendations along the east coast of the US that I may be overlooking.

- Easy access to a major airport Almost every 'major' city
- In or near a major city - Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Melbourne, Jacksonville, etc.
- Near nice beaches - All coastal cities; plus, Central Fl. is only 60 mi. to beach
- Warm/sunny climate All Florida; except Nov to Mar. in North Florida
- Eastern US - All of Florida
- Looking to rent a newer/upscale home/townhome, condo, or apartment All of Fl
- Music/arts/culture and restaurants/bars are important - All major cities

Dan
You have basically described most of Florida ... in general. We've been here 46-years and have lived in Tampa, Kissimmee/Orlando, Melbourne/Satellite Beach -- and now Destin - and traveled the rest. In most ways, almost all populated areas will meet your criteria. Florida has uniquely diverse demographics, so you can find what you want about anywhere.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 17,814,409 times
id choose Miami (Brickell, Coconut Grove)

Old 02-25-2019, 01:50 PM

6,250 posts, read 3,445,382 times
Congrats on the promotion and flexibility.

One piece of advice - wherever you end up, make sure as a backup plan there is a sufficient base for future employment should you need it. I don't know your situation at work, but things can and do happen (layoffs, divestitures, policy changes requiring being in the office, etc.)

I'd say the Tampa/St. Pete area is a potentially good one for you, with TPA being a decent airport. Lots of professionals, bars, singles.

I would recommend against Southwest Florida given your demographic. While warm, beautiful and RSW is an easy airport to travel from, you'll likely find the entertainment more geared to retirees and snowbirds. Not exclusively - and it's improving - but it's hardly a young single person's Mecca.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:30 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
I posted something similarly in another section. In the past few years I've had not one but TWO companies completely rescind their work from home policies for me and essentially the entire company. I once thought I'd always work from home and now I'm not so sure. The minute you think you're completely safe, they hire a new executive and she comes in and decides that working remotely doesn't work for her or the company and now you're stuck on an island, so to speak.

So just ensure that wherever you decide, it's near a major city that offers ample employment opportunities. It sounds like that's your end goal anyway, but just wanted to highlight what has happened to me.....twice.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 869,292 times
Start your own business like I did, and give them all the finger.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 PM

17,516 posts, read 10,600,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathermandan View Post

- Easy access to a major airport
- In or near a major city
- Near nice beaches
- Warm/sunny climate
- Eastern US
- Looking to rent a newer/upscale home/townhome, condo, or apartment
- Music/arts/culture and restaurants/bars are important

Dan
Jacksonville

Old 02-26-2019, 05:06 AM

2,353 posts, read 869,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You have basically described most of Florida ... in general. We've been here 46-years and have lived in Tampa, Kissimmee/Orlando, Melbourne/Satellite Beach -- and now Destin - and traveled the rest. In most ways, almost all populated areas will meet your criteria. Florida has uniquely diverse demographics, so you can find what you want about anywhere.
Where was your favorite? Do you find Destin overcrowded Spring-Summer?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 AM

4,811 posts, read 5,358,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
The minute you think you're completely safe, they hire a new executive and she comes in and decides that working remotely doesn't work for her or the company and now you're stuck on an island, so to speak.

So just ensure that wherever you decide, it's near a major city that offers ample employment opportunities.
Unfortunately this is common.
Great advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or