Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:20 PM

25,145 posts, read 12,298,550 times

Advertisements

Lanai rookie here. Our Lanai on our newly built home is large, has a painted & textured cement slab floor. No pool, no pets, no kids. We had it all screened in w/ bronze aluminum frame and Fifer 20/20 screen. The exterior walls are stucco.

The Lanai faces South, but it the Sun still manages to reach ~1/2 of the floor each morning. No trees on our property, or w/in falling distance, so good air circulation. No flowers or plants inside the Lanai, some plants/shrubs outside of it, but at least 2 feet away. Pine nugget mulch I'm removing soon anyways.

We've been in the home 8 months now, and parts of the floor are just beginniing to get Black mildew. Not too bad yet, but its noticeable, and I'd like to clean it.

I see these plastic gallon bottles in the home improvement stores, "wet & forget" was 1 brand I saw, but geez they are $10/jug. I don't own a pressure washer, and I think that would be overkill at this point. I'd like to avoid having to buy, or rent, a pressure washer, or costly chemicals.

Can't I just use some bleach diluted 90% w/ hot water, and a rigid broom, then hose it away? Would that harm the bronze finish on the screen? The painted floor? If I mistakingly splash some on the vinyl screen, will it damage the screen?

Do I really need the costly cleanser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 02:59 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,668,953 times
Have you already tried a stream of water and a brush? Seems like that should be your starting point.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:07 PM

18,204 posts, read 8,021,650 times
beach....wash it down good with hose and nozzel

mop bucket of water, good glug of Clorox, good squirt of Dawn/Palmolive....scrub brush

..won't hurt anything

Old 02-19-2019, 04:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,118,279 times
You can use tile cleaner, same as you would use in a shower. Or you can get the power wash stuff. Either way will work.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 PM

Awesome tips. Thx all! Glad I dont have to buy the $10/jug stuff. My 3 car garage is already in need to organizing, so I'm trying to avoid buying a pressure washer.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM

603 posts, read 432,985 times
Now our cleaning guy uses something he mixes up himself...it does smell like ammonia bleach to me our floor is like a coral stone paver but gets the same black mildewed stuff.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:00 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,070,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Now our cleaning guy uses something he mixes up himself...it does smell like ammonia bleach to me our floor is like a coral stone paver but gets the same black mildewed stuff.

If your "cleaning guy" is mixing ammonia and bleach, he's a lunatic. I can't stress enough how much these two shouldn't be mixed. Ever. Please ensure these are not the two chemicals he is mixing.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:47 PM

529 posts, read 1,161,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If your "cleaning guy" is mixing ammonia and bleach, he's a lunatic. I can't stress enough how much these two shouldn't be mixed. Ever. Please ensure these are not the two chemicals he is mixing.
Absolutely!!!!! Don't even use one right after the other. Ever. OpInOc is right on the money and literally deadly serious.

Dax

Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,084,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Absolutely!!!!! Don't even use one right after the other. Ever. OpInOc is right on the money and literally deadly serious.

Dax

Chlorine gas is what you get...just like they used in World War I.

With more ammonia you also get hydrazine, which was used as a toxic rocket fuel.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 PM

I will NOT be mixing Bleach and Ammonia. I think I'll start out with a mixture of 90% water, 10% bleach on a small area, use a brush w/ long handle, then rinse with my hose using a high pressure nozzle.

I hope this won't discolor my bronze colored screen framing, or harm the vinyl screen. I doubt it could harm the painted textured floor surface. I think I'll dry the frame with an old towell, then discard, and use my leaf blower from a safe distance to blow any water off the screen.

I heard at some point, I'll also need to clean the screen w/ mildew cleaner. I hear Green slime will start to grow on it. My screen gets quite a bit of morning Sun, so perhaps that won't be very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida