Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Tennessee, our renter's policy had an earthquake rider because we were quite close to the New Madrid fault, which is capable of generating a 8.0 earthquake. And unlike Florida or California, there seemed to be roughly zero interest in a building code designed to improve survivability during disasters. Because: Freedom, I guess

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E...id_earthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,162 times
Default Hey Check this out

What do you guys think about this pro florida themed tshirt i made.

https://vangogh.teespring.com/v3/ima...mI/480/560.jpg

[url]https://teespring.com/real-florida-man-without-crazy[/url]

Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
What do you guys think about this pro florida themed tshirt i made.

https://teespring.com/real-florida-man-without-crazy
How can one fully embrace Floridamanism without a healthy dose of crazy!!??

Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What are the most common type of people in Florida?
For example in San Francisco we can safely say its hipsters and leftists, in LA movie lifestyle-obsessed people, in Oklahoma more family-oriented hard working conservative people...
Are people in Florida more lifestyle-obsessed or hedonistic narcissistic than people in other places? Or more hard working? More single partying types or more family oriented types?
All types

Old 02-20-2021, 09:46 PM

43 posts, read 96,329 times
Hello,

I'm totally confused. I wanted to move to Florida from the suburbs of N.Y. but where to?
It's especially difficult relocating to a new state when you don't know anyone or have family and friends there to support you. I am retired, single, and need a lot of space for all of the things I have accumulated over the years. I'm not ready to downsize or part with my books and other possessions because I haven't had a chance to enjoy them. I was too busy working. As a single person I would probably look odd in a 3,500 sq. ft. house. I would rather a townhouse but it's impossible to find one that size which I could afford. It seems Florida could end up being a very lonely place for a single person. It's not like the Northeast where I see people on the street passing by. Florida seems isolated to me with lots of subdivisions. I guess people just pull into their driveways and go about their business. I am beginning to think I may end
up being unhappy stuck in the Northeast.
Any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2021, 11:34 PM

786 posts, read 625,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb710 View Post
Hello,

I'm totally confused. I wanted to move to Florida from the suburbs of N.Y. but where to?
It's especially difficult relocating to a new state when you don't know anyone or have family and friends there to support you. I am retired, single, and need a lot of space for all of the things I have accumulated over the years. I'm not ready to downsize or part with my books and other possessions because I haven't had a chance to enjoy them. I was too busy working. As a single person I would probably look odd in a 3,500 sq. ft. house. I would rather a townhouse but it's impossible to find one that size which I could afford. It seems Florida could end up being a very lonely place for a single person. It's not like the Northeast where I see people on the street passing by. Florida seems isolated to me with lots of subdivisions. I guess people just pull into their driveways and go about their business. I am beginning to think I may end
Any suggestions?

If you are feeling isolated in NY with access to friends and family, you will be absolutely miserable in Florida if you are not an extreme extrovert. Even the most populated cities in Florida people do not interact like they do up north. Public transportation is subpar and people commuting that way are doing so out of financial distress. A few weeks on the bus or train will make you sprint to a dealership for anything on at least 2 wheels... then spending 5 minutes driving you realize the need for 4 wheels and a solid steel frame around you. After seeing how people drive and the condition of the vehicles they drive.

Then you have to find a place to live. It's true you will probably find cheaper homes here and lower taxes, but prices are rapidly increasing and homes with the square footage you are looking for arent really affordable anymore, unless you go to a more remote region... but then you are going to be super isolated.

Unless you are willing to downgrade, you probably arent going to be very happy here. Retirees tend to dominate highly restrictive planned communities, but those are primarily condos, small single fam homes, and townhomes... most have downgraded to live there. Honestly that is probably going to be the compromise you are going to need to make to meet you social needs.

I'd recommend you book a few rooms in places you seem interested for a few weeks before committing. A few weeks in the spring and a few in the summer, you could very well learn that you cannot stand the extreme heat, humidity, or discover you have some allergies that could be a dealbreaker.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Hello,

Any suggestions?
The bolded part confuses me. If people are walking right past each other on the sidewalk and not speaking, how is that any different than pulling into your driveway and not speaking? It's not like walking past someone will make them your friend.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:28 AM

3,232 posts, read 3,184,355 times
Quote:
Hello,

Any suggestions?
What is your budget? Reason I ask is that there are a couple of 2 story homes for sale in the village center near me. The smaller of the 2 is a 3/3 with almost 2100 square feet listed for $315k. The larger is a 4/4 with almost 2400 sq feet listed for $430k.

The village center always has people walking around. Families, retirees, singles out with their dogs. Restaurants, shops and offices all right there too.

This is in north central Florida.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:23 AM

237 posts, read 283,146 times
Quote:
Hello,

I'm totally confused. I wanted to move to (snip).......
Why you resurrected a two year old thread to state this is beyond me, but whatever....

You're not ready to move. You won't be happy here. These two things are more than evident.

Stay put.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:44 PM

43 posts, read 96,329 times
Hello,

This is in response to the person who questioned why two years later I am still posting about trying to move to Florida and telling me to stay put. I think your comments are offensive. I was never told on
this site there is a time limit for posts or for trying to make a move. In fact, I get emails from
the site administrator to continue my post which I have not continued for a long time. Since you do not know me personally or live my life you do not get to dictate what I should do or when I should do it. I don't follow your time frame. I follow mine. Unfortunately, I will not let your negative comments dampen the other helpful comments I have received from others. I don't mind someone telling me moving to Florida is not a good idea if that is their opinion. What I do mind is why you are suggesting I did
something wrong by resurrecting this post. You have a lot of nerve!
Save your advice for someone else who is requesting it. I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida