Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times

Advertisements

The up side of renting is you dont have money tied up in real estate. Florida is an unusual real estate market and whether you think your home is a good investment can change with the weather or rather a hurricane, flood, tornado, sink hole, lightning strike, willd fire, army ants, killer bees or other natural disaster. If you own and get the neighbor from hell there is no easy solution.

Everyone should do what makes sense for them and answers will vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 PM

46 posts, read 45,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Problem with renting is no security during housing booms ...
Next boom is right around the corner.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM

801 posts, read 451,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I don't know. Moving all the time seems like a huge hassle for a retired person.

If noise was a big concern, I'd buy a very large acreage property, 20 or more, located near a wildlife preserve or state lands for more privacy. You could build a small house with hurricane impact windows. Not only does this give you storm protection but they are great at eliminating noise inside the house.
The 20 acres part is probably not affordable for me; otherwise that's a great idea.
Also building a small house on it. How much would a 500 square foot house cost?
Isn't it hard to get permissions and approvals and all that?

I'm guessing this is too expensive an option for me. Wish it were not.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Also with renting, you are just as likely to get a bad neighbor, maybe even more so since people who rent are more mobile. There just really are no guarantees. I once live in the country where everyone was on two to five acres and had TWO really bad, noisy neighbors. I live near the airport and US 41 now and hear some occasional low level noise, but lucky to have pretty good neighbors so far (10 years.) House next door is fo sale though, so we'll see what that brings.
The difference is, if you rent you can LEAVE! It may cost you to get out of a lease but you can leave!

If you own it could take a year or more to get out!

Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
MVB...my biggest concern would be this..
What if you find the perfect place to rent.....and then years later, they sell it out from under you?
...you'll be older and have to move again and start over
I'd rather have to move than to get stuck owning as I am now. I'm in a slow - SUPER SLOW - market and am stuck here. Could be a year or more before I get out. I don't want to go into the details, just know that this is the case.

This is why I am looking into renting.
However the main problem with renting is you are throwing away money. Period. No way around that fact.

I wonder if I bought a mobile home, if I could find someone with a lot of land who'd let me park it way on the other side of their property from them... or someone with a large lot who would subdivde off one piece on the far end... Just thinking outside the box. I imagine regulations and cost would make this not viable...

I do NOT want to live in a mobile home park, nor drive around in a tiny house...

What I'm looking for is a very quiet rental area. I'd even rent in a 55+ place that has noise regulations and no dogs allowed... if there is such a place in Central FL... that rents without a long lease...

Old 05-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. I've been very busy and frankly forgot I had started this thread. Will try to keep on top of it. I thought I'd get notices of responses in my email but did not.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:38 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,014 times
Option

https://www.mhvillage.com/Communitie...ustis&State=FL

Good luck

Old 05-10-2019, 06:23 AM

264 posts, read 229,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
I agree that it would be a nightmare to have a really noisy neighbor. I saw this story on the news a few weeks ago. This is just hard to believe. Most noisy people don't purposely make noise. They seem oblivious that they are bothering anyone. Not this person though.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/depu...ighbo/32024715
The scariest part is that that woman is only a year younger than me but looks 10 years older than I do. Drugs are bad! lol

Old 05-10-2019, 11:35 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,014 times
No guarantees in life.

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Oorah

Old 06-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It would be very difficult (though not impossible) to find month-to-month rentals, mostly because of the transient nature of some who move to Florida. If a property owner doesn't protect himself via leases, deposits, background checks, etc., they can very easily be left holding the bag by unscrupulous renters who trash the property, don't pay their rents, and disappear into the night. They can still do it after signing the lease, obviously, but a strong lease and deposits tends to help separate the wheat from the chaff. If you know someone personally who owns such properties, it might be easier to set up a non-traditional rental plan since there is a degree of trust between the landlord and tenant. Maybe a six-month lease? Snowbirds will impact this plan, also, since they're more likely to leap onto any short-term leases that fit the window of time they're nesting here.
It that's how it is, that's how it is.
But any place I've ever lived the landlord simply charges first and last month's rent so the last month is already theirs, and a rental deposit to cover damage.
So you're saying this does not work in FL? What? People (renters) would just disappear and forfeit their last month rent and deposit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida