Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 11:17 PM

90 posts, read 98,282 times

Advertisements

Hey’all.

I posted some months back about my interest in moving to PCB, (which is still option!) but I also wanted to get some opinions on what it’s like to live in the Okaloosa/Walton County area from folks who have lived there.

I’d have plenty of work opportunities anywhere in the country. (Paramedic. Can do EMS, Fire-Rescue, LE, etc.)
Also, I would be moving with my parents because we are pretty close knit. My dad is a custom homebuilder and construction superintendent with 30+ years of experience on homes ranging from 200k to the multi-millions. (and he’s damn good at it too.) Very proud of my superhero dad. Mama is an interior decorator, and also one of the best.

My biggest concern is traffic. Most of the complaints I’ve heard are from summer tourists coming from FWB to Destin, but I wanted to know what a resident’s take on this was? Are we talking something like 25 minutes to get 10 miles through town? I’m from St. Louis, so I know big city traffic!
What are the months you have to most worry about extreme traffic? I would assume June-Early August? I know Fourth of July is supposed be slammed, which isn’t surprising because it is here too; and I live in the suburbs!

Is there a decent population of young people around? And by around, I mean permanent residents. I’d like to start dating after I get to a comfortable place in my career, and I’m not the kind of person who is going to go for one night flings with tourists. That ain’t me, bub. I’m too much of a romantic for that ****!

And yes, I used the search function in the forums before posting. These questions should not be repeats, to the best of my knowledge. Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my questions!

Stay safe and and be good,
-Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,709,214 times
If they aren't already in Florida. have your parents research construction licensing down here- rules are tough because structures have to make it through hurricanes. With appropriate licenses in binder, there's a lot of work available in Panama City right now.

IMO, the only really bad summer traffic is US 98 in the Destin-Miramar Beach area from about Memorial Day to Labor Day and that will get somewhat better once the US 98 widening gets finished. US 98 in Ft. Walton Beach can back up a little on weekends when the weather is nice enough the locals want to hit the beach and there are also some issues on summer Saturdays for FL 20 and the Mid-Bay Bridge because that's the day the vacation condo rentals change over.

It's inherently a military town that just happens to have a nice beach area nearby so figure that kind of dating pool- female looking for fella will have more options than fella looking for female. Not sure about the LGBT scene

Emergency services jobs don't pay great here but they're trying to improve that.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,701,483 times
Concur with beachmouse. Also keep in mind that this area is also essentially a small town. It can be hard for someone to break into the markets that your parents are looking at. They need to come and talk to a few builders and interior design places. There is lots of money being spent in interior design on the beach properties, but much of that tends to be word of mouth and centers around a few designers. There are lots of retail places that do design, but not sure how much money is to be made salary wise. Builders also tend to use the same supers, the good builders don't sub that out, as they can stay pretty busy.

Our traffic issues center on the fact that the we have one primary road - Hwy 98, that runs along the beach. But it also runs along the stores the locals want to get to. The bridge is bad on Saturdays, but if you don't live in Niceville, then you would avoid that. Most of us manage to plan around that. The FWB to Destin traffic is also primarily on the weekends.

I've driven in St Louis and the traffic here is different, since it is isn't highway type stuff.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If they aren't already in Florida. have your parents research construction licensing down here- rules are tough because structures have to make it through hurricanes. With appropriate licenses in binder, there's a lot of work available in Panama City right now.

IMO, the only really bad summer traffic is US 98 in the Destin-Miramar Beach area from about Memorial Day to Labor Day and that will get somewhat better once the US 98 widening gets finished. US 98 in Ft. Walton Beach can back up a little on weekends when the weather is nice enough the locals want to hit the beach and there are also some issues on summer Saturdays for FL 20 and the Mid-Bay Bridge because that's the day the vacation condo rentals change over.

It's inherently a military town that just happens to have a nice beach area nearby so figure that kind of dating pool- female looking for fella will have more options than fella looking for female. Not sure about the LGBT scene

Emergency services jobs don't pay great here but they're trying to improve that.
Thanks for the info! I’m a straight dude btw.

Okaloosa EMS starts at $42,000 a year. Not amazing, but I didn’t get into this field of work for the money. I like the presence of military too. It’s always a really rewarding day when I get to care for one of America’s bravest.

I’m not worried about money. My dad can either do his own thing, or more likely he’d look for a job as a construction super. I’m sure with his experience and amount of undeveloped land within the two counties he would find something.

During the summer, how long would it take you to go 10 miles down highway 98? Just as an estimate..?

Last edited by JTEMT-B; 03-25-2019 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,709,214 times
That's a big pay raise from when the EMS folks were making less than what Burger King at the beach was paying a few years back. And the employee quality was about what you'd expect for $10/hour, there were scandals involving employee misconduct, and the answer seems to have finally been to pay professional wages so they'd get professional people to apply to replace those they's just have to fire.

You can get a Sunpass transponder or sticker at any Publix, Walgreens, or Florida Welcome Center or buy online from Sunpass. The state and tolling authority want to do away with toll booths altogether in the name of cost savings and better traffic flow so they make it easy to 'Go Sunpass!' as the sign at the plaza says.

A lot of the land south of I-10 is owned by the Department of Defense or other government entities so housing costs run a bit higher than you'd expect for an area of that population size.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That's a big pay raise from when the EMS folks were making less than what Burger King at the beach was paying a few years back. And the employee quality was about what you'd expect for $10/hour, there were scandals involving employee misconduct, and the answer seems to have finally been to pay professional wages so they'd get professional people to apply to replace those they's just have to fire.

You can get a Sunpass transponder or sticker at any Publix, Walgreens, or Florida Welcome Center or buy online from Sunpass. The state and tolling authority want to do away with toll booths altogether in the name of cost savings and better traffic flow so they make it easy to 'Go Sunpass!' as the sign at the plaza says.

A lot of the land south of I-10 is owned by the Department of Defense or other government entities so housing costs run a bit higher than you'd expect for an area of that population size.
Yeah, the “selfie war.” It only takes two deplorables to ruin an agencies reputation that took them years to build. I’m glad OCSO threw the book at them.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post

During the summer, how long would it take you to go 10 miles down highway 98? Just as an estimate..?
Destin is only about 12 miles from one end to the other. Say from the Destin Bridge to Sandestin, which is in Miramar Beach. And currently under construction for a good portion of that on the East end. Hopefully once that is done the trip that could take 30-45 minutes on a Saturday afternoon will be quicker.

Last Saturday about 2 PM we went from Niceville, crossed the mid-bay bridge (at least 8-10 minutes) and made it to Grand Blvd in Sandestin in ~ 22 minutes. You time these things when you are late for a movie! We didn't hit a single light after crossing the bridge. Minus the luck with the lights, that is typical for east bound traffic most of the year. In another week, that won't be the case for Saturdays. Going west bound always seems to take longer. Heading into Destin proper (west of the mid bay bridge) is just slower, more lights, more congestion, two lane roads. That part will never be 3 lanes. But I can make it Target from the midbay bridge in about 10 minutes, even with stop and go traffic. There is one side road, but that is getting more congested as tourists discover it.

That being said - tourist season adds a whole different dimension. Avoid Saturday afternoon checkin, (2-6pm) and if possible checkouts if you are trying to cross the bridge heading north (10am ish). From Niceville the backups start a good mile or too north of the bridge. Once you cross in Destin traffic goes in a variety of directions. From Fort Walton is can be all the way into Fort Walton over two bridges. Many people are trying to avoid the tolls on the midbay and go through FWB. As there are lots of lights going that way and with traffic coming from the West and north it converges at a single point in FWB... it is bad as going into Destin from the West is slightly different they are all trying to the the East end where all the condos are.

If the weather is great, traffic leaving the beach is bad about 3, if the weather is bad, traffic is bad, as they are all shopping. Avoid the mall and outlet center during rainy days in the summer - as there is nothing else for them to do. After they shower they all head to dinner - so go early if you want to dine out during the summer.

They also have no idea where they are going, or simply forget how to drive when on vacation - I shake my head every time I'm in Destin at stupid drivers, Spring break is the worst - vacation stupidity and teenagers! Not a good combo.

So to answer to your original question - depends...time of day, season, day of the week, weather. Plan on a hour, be happy if it takes less.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Destin is only about 12 miles from one end to the other. Say from the Destin Bridge to Sandestin, which is in Miramar Beach. And currently under construction for a good portion of that on the East end. Hopefully once that is done the trip that could take 30-45 minutes on a Saturday afternoon will be quicker.

Last Saturday about 2 PM we went from Niceville, crossed the mid-bay bridge (at least 8-10 minutes) and made it to Grand Blvd in Sandestin in ~ 22 minutes. You time these things when you are late for a movie! We didn't hit a single light after crossing the bridge. Minus the luck with the lights, that is typical for east bound traffic most of the year. In another week, that won't be the case for Saturdays. Going west bound always seems to take longer. Heading into Destin proper (west of the mid bay bridge) is just slower, more lights, more congestion, two lane roads. That part will never be 3 lanes. But I can make it Target from the midbay bridge in about 10 minutes, even with stop and go traffic. There is one side road, but that is getting more congested as tourists discover it.

That being said - tourist season adds a whole different dimension. Avoid Saturday afternoon checkin, (2-6pm) and if possible checkouts if you are trying to cross the bridge heading north (10am ish). From Niceville the backups start a good mile or too north of the bridge. Once you cross in Destin traffic goes in a variety of directions. From Fort Walton is can be all the way into Fort Walton over two bridges. Many people are trying to avoid the tolls on the midbay and go through FWB. As there are lots of lights going that way and with traffic coming from the West and north it converges at a single point in FWB... it is bad as going into Destin from the West is slightly different they are all trying to the the East end where all the condos are.

If the weather is great, traffic leaving the beach is bad about 3, if the weather is bad, traffic is bad, as they are all shopping. Avoid the mall and outlet center during rainy days in the summer - as there is nothing else for them to do. After they shower they all head to dinner - so go early if you want to dine out during the summer.

They also have no idea where they are going, or simply forget how to drive when on vacation - I shake my head every time I'm in Destin at stupid drivers, Spring break is the worst - vacation stupidity and teenagers! Not a good combo.

So to answer to your original question - depends...time of day, season, day of the week, weather. Plan on a hour, be happy if it takes less.
Thanks so much for the info! An hour for ten miles is pretty bad imo. I hope the traffic reconstruction helps this, or I may choose PCB instead. I know traffic is apart of life, but I just don’t know that I want to plan every single trip to McDonald’s or Target. I like to go for drives and get out frequently! On the other hand, the walk-ability in Destin is pretty great, so that would solve at least 50% of my gripes. So I guess I’ll have to visit after I get my EMT-P and see for myself!

Last edited by JTEMT-B; 03-27-2019 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEMT-B View Post
Thanks so much for the info! An hour for ten miles is pretty bad imo. I hope the traffic reconstruction helps this, or I may choose PCB instead. I know traffic is apart of life, but I just don’t know that I want to plan every single trip to McDonald’s or Target. I like to go for drives and get out frequently! On the other hand, the walk-ability in Destin is pretty great, so that would solve at least 50% of my gripes. So I guess I’ll have to visit after I get my EMT-P and see for myself!
Remember it is time dependent, and really depends on where you live. It is not a constant situation. PCB is also a one/two street town, near the beach, but at least the shopping is on Hwy 98, and moves pretty quick...relatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida