Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:44 PM

182 posts, read 204,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Is Mount Dora too much of an Orlando extension? It could be a possibility
No, that's far enough away from Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Ocala is horse farms and senior citizen communities largely. It might work if you are open to a 55+community. But it is not a liberal area.

Gainesville is a much better fit for your politics. There is also an extensive bus system because of the university.
Hm, okay. That's a shame, because a population of 60,000 is about ideal.

Gainesville is where I assume I will end up (If I decide on Florida), but it's larger than I am hoping for and I would rather not live amongst an overwhelming majority of college students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 01:54 PM

390 posts, read 396,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
What is Ocala like?
Also, I forgot to mention an important detail; I don't drive. This means that there has to be a bus system, wherever I move to. (Even if it's just one or two routes that goes through the main streets)
The budget factor will be a big driver about where people might steer you to. People tend to just look at "Best Places to Live" lists and say, "Oh, Florida! That's great! Look at how low the median housing cost is in [insert city here]!" But in reality, that might not be what a person will really be paying. FL is full of snowbirds and these people will pay several thousand a month to rent places here which drives up the housing costs. I think you need to decide what you'd be willing to spend once here and then search on Zillow for apartments in that budget and see what you can realistically get for the money. It has a map overlay for things like crime, too.

The not driving thing will make things a lot tougher because many areas are so spread out here. I'm sure there are some cities that will be fine, but with you wanting a smaller town to live in, the transportation system is going to be severely lacking depending on where you're coming from. Redfin has a Walk Score option which can give you an idea of how walkable an area is, too. But your wanting to be in a smaller city here will make it much more difficult since usually bigger cities are more likely to have actual public transportation options. You can get around places like Bradenton/Sarasota on SCAT but your mobility is greatly limited compared to how you're able to move around in a larger metro with mass transit.

Last edited by Yac; 12-01-2020 at 02:12 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 02:17 PM

505 posts, read 514,830 times
Gainesville or Tallahassee might be the only cities that fit your bill. Otherwise, I'd look at different states. You might be better off looking at California...

Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,197,769 times
Your biggest issue that public transportation, i.e. buses, trains, only works where there is density and a large population.

You are looking for a unicorn. A rural/small town with liberal politics and amenities that exist primarily in urban areas.

You really are limited to college towns. That's not to say you have to live with college kids. There are whole sections of Gainesville with bus transportation and not a lot of college kids, primarily on the northwest and southwest part of town away from the university.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
It should be relatively safe and hopefully not ultra conservative/ religious.
I was under the impression this meant the OP was not looking to be around a bunch of "bible thumpers" which is actually quite different than looking for a place that has liberal leanings. But I could be wrong.

According to the map at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt there are parts of Florida that appear to be part of the Bible Belt. I can't speak to northern Florida as I've never lived there, but I can say that certainly Tampa and south are not super religious. Most are transplants from other states up north.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
I was under the impression this meant the OP was not looking to be around a bunch of "bible thumpers" which is actually quite different than looking for a place that has liberal leanings. But I could be wrong.

According to the map at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt there are parts of Florida that appear to be part of the Bible Belt. I can't speak to northern Florida as I've never lived there, but I can say that certainly Tampa and south are not super religious. Most are transplants from other states up north.
Strange, as I have lived in and out of the Bible Belt and noticed no significant difference.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:48 PM

801 posts, read 451,545 times
Quote:

Gainesville is where I assume I will end up (If I decide on Florida), but it's larger than I am hoping for and I would rather not live amongst an overwhelming majority of college students.
I've only been there a couple times but I don't THINK the Mt. Dora area has a bus system, or at least not a very good bus system. Am I wrong?

Old 04-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Strange, as I have lived in and out of the Bible Belt and noticed no significant difference.
It's not something I necessarily agree with, but I think that people have this idea of the South as being much different than it actually is, depending on where you go. We spent time in Arkansas and other than living in a dry county (though restaurants were still allowed to serve alcohol) and there being no state lottery at the time, there was nothing different about it than any other state I've lived in and the people there are actually super nice. The misconception is that people living in the Bible Belt are going to push their religious beliefs on people and try to convert everyone they come across. That is simply not true. You're actually more likely to encounter the people spouting off what a sinner you are in any major downtown area because there are plenty of crazy loons out there and it's not their religion of choice that made them that way.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:16 PM

17,136 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I've only been there a couple times but I don't THINK the Mt. Dora area has a bus system, or at least not a very good bus system. Am I wrong?
It has a bus system. But it's absolute garbage.
I've used it. Never again. I'd rather pay Uber $30 than the $1 bus fare.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:

Try Melrose. It’s smaller than what you want but some of UF faculty and staff live there for the quaintness.

https://www.florida-backroads-travel...e-florida.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melrose,_Florida

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 04-12-2019 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida