U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 26,992 times

Advertisements

hi everyone...

my husband and I are considering relocating to palm coast and were curious if anyone had any information that they could give me about the area. We have been searching the state and found palm coast and it seems absolutely beautiful. We are from nyc and do not want to raise out 3 children in new york, nor do we want to spend a fortune on a mediocre home. The houses in palm coast are in our price range and it seems like a nice area. But, then again, we really know nothing about the schools, job availability or anything else for that matter. My husband works in healthcare, so I am hoping that finding a job will not be that difficult. If anyone has any feedback on whether or not palm coast is the right choice for us, it would be greatly appreciated. We are basically looking for a nice place to raise our children with good schools and a low crime rate. Although we are from nyc, we are not looking for the nyc feel so a more laid back atmosphere would not influence our decision. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM

58 posts, read 191,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana602 View Post
hi everyone...

my husband and I are considering relocating to palm coast and were curious if anyone had any information that they could give me about the area. We have been searching the state and found palm coast and it seems absolutely beautiful. We are from nyc and do not want to raise out 3 children in new york, nor do we want to spend a fortune on a mediocre home. The houses in palm coast are in our price range and it seems like a nice area. But, then again, we really know nothing about the schools, job availability or anything else for that matter. My husband works in healthcare, so I am hoping that finding a job will not be that difficult. If anyone has any feedback on whether or not palm coast is the right choice for us, it would be greatly appreciated. We are basically looking for a nice place to raise our children with good schools and a low crime rate. Although we are from nyc, we are not looking for the nyc feel so a more laid back atmosphere would not influence our decision. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!!!!
Healthcare is definitely the job to have in Palm Coast area. We have our own hospital, Florida Hospital/Flagler and also the adjoining counties, Volusia has Halifax and Florida Hospital/Ormond and Oceanside along with a couple on the west side of that county. To our north is St.John's Co which has Flagler Hospital. Check the hospital job sites for job openings.

While there is crime here it's nowhere near anything like NYC. Our family has never had any problems with crime. As far as raising children here, there are lots of parks and many community activities. Our kids are out of school now and I here good and bad. Plenty of schools around and growing. Beaches and country life surround this area. It's all what you want to make of your life in this area.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 PM

200 posts, read 616,781 times
Schools got cut back really hard this year...even some teachers are losing their jobs as of June 30 (2008). I still think the schools are good here, though, just tighter ratio of teachers to students. Many new families move here all the time. (mostly NJ and NY)...you may see your neighbors! =)

There is more about PC if you are interested - check this post out:
Need info from Palm Coast residents please
(more about the area in general)....also do a SEARCH ABOVE and put in PALM COAST (in the FLORIDA FORUM AREA) You will find even more!!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 20,760 times
Default Please help

Hello,
We currently live in Balt.,Md. with plans of relocating to Florida soon. We are 28 year old parents of two 9yr girl 5yr boy and we are kinda just moving for a change. We have lived here our whole lives and we don't want to raise our children here. I woke up the other day and said lets just move to Florida so I kinda need some help on finding the best location!!!! I picked Florida because of the weather, I don't want to be uncomfortable but in January I don't want to have to wear a winter coat. I was looking in the central cities, and the Palm Coast area looks really nice. I have looked in Orlando as well. Let me tell you what we are working with and maybe someone can direct us in the right direction: looking to pay under $1800 in hopes of a single fam. but a townhouse will do for now, good school district and community as far as employment I am in college for CRJU but can take online classes, kinda open to different jobs but I have enough hours to get a cosmetology license there so hair or nails is an option if all else fails, he does home improvement with hopes of starting a business. Depending on how the employment goes he may have to continue with remodeling houses here which normaly takes about a month per house; so we need somewhere safe in case we are there alone for a month or two. Sorry to talk you to death but PLEASE HELP

Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 AM

babiegyrl - Palm Coast is great for young families - the schools are good. We are FINALLY receiving some shopping and services...but employment stinks. Every little strip mall there is a NAIL SPA so not sure that would help but they are all one same name (family chain?)

Summers are hot everywhere in FL so beware ......but I do believe the eastern coast we receive more oceanic breezes. I have traveled most of the state for my job and I chose Palm Coast to reside - due to housing prices, taxes and the Atlantic Ocean breezes.

There are MANY - MANY - MANY homes for rent. In fact one right across the street from us is a brand new custom home - been sitting empty for 1 1/2 yrs - gorgeous and he just put it up for rent. So I am SURE you can find what you want in that price range.

But the employment is tough down here. Even the big box stores (LOWES and HDEPOT) are laying off......so you may want to come down and check all the above out and then see about employment.

I work for the schools and there is a $7.4 mill cut in the budget this year - teachers are being laid off. In fact my pay was threatened. So just beware of that. The Cost of Living (COL) was very affordable many years ago and I think that is why many came here, as well as for the weather but that (COL) has been increasing to catch up with the rest of the US.

But the winters are GRAND!!! This year has been exceptionally wonderful! Oct - to now we have been in the mid-high 70's with lows in the 50's-60's. We had a couple days of near freezing but that NEVER EVER lasts! We are lucky it lasts for 12 hours. We are just starting to inch up to our summer temps, though now. And wait till you see these DEEP BLUE SKIES! AHHH!!!!!

We moved here in JULY in 1990 and the heat really did not bother us = we were excited to know we were leaving those cold, gray winters....and when I saw my first palm tree I was "IN LOVE!".....so you need to weigh the bad with the good. Make your check list.

Many are moving here.....nice families. So I would certainly put this on your list, that is for sure. Just check out the employment - see what you want to do and can you do it here. We are 60 min to JAX and 80 min to ORL with many towns in between. I know of many who live here and work elsewhere....gas is high but WHERE IS IT NOT?

Any other questions feel free to PM me or post. There are others out on this forum that can help you, as well.

If you choose to come.....WELCOME!!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM

Thank you soooo much I have been hearing so many negative things just good to see hear something positive. I agree that we have to take the good with the bad and nowhere is perfect. Why do you think that the houses are staying on the market in the are so long. Just trying to get an idea of cost, do you know how much the house is going for or even an average rent for at least a 3 bedroom sing. fam.? What about gas and elec. and water bills just on average? Thanks for your response.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 AM

There is no perfect place - that is for sure.
Rentals? do a google search for RENTAL HOMES IN PALM COAST, FL - see what comes up. I found one link that may give you some ideas on pricing.
Palm Coast Houses and Homes For Rent Palm Coast, FL (http://www.rentals.com/Florida/Palm-Coast/Houses-And-Homes-For-Rent.aspx - broken link)

Palm Coast was building up right and left and the main industry here was home building. Once that "crunch" came we became dead here.....with lots of homes (spec homes as well) sitting empty. Many can not sell them too low since their price of goods to build it were high. So they sit on them. Some are being reduced drastically, just to move them, and the builder takes a huge bite so I tell everyone IF YOU RENT try to get a short lease so when you find the home you want and the area you desire you can get in on a good deal...or rent to buy. Part of your $$ goes to the purchase of the home. Great savings!
I met a person on the forum the other day who bought a gorgeous home (model) for a great GREAT price!! So there are some really good deals out there.

Bills? Water is starting to increase - not sure why. I saw that posted on our local forum here in town. I noticed ours went up about $15 - (usually $75-$85)
Gas we don't have - can't help you out.
Elec not too bad. Depends how much you us the A/C. That is the culprit. One thing I would advise - find a home that has nice big open windows or sliding glass doors everywhere, so you can get those breezes whenever you wish. Make sure it has ceiling fans. We do just fine running those. Yes, we have been here in FL since 1990 and our blood is thinner now than what it was when we arrived (i think our blood was syrup back then! HA!) but I must admit I am fine most of the time. There are some eves we run the A/C to sleep better but honestly we do fine.

Check out the links I have posted before about Palm Coast - our parks/city/new town center, etc (if you can not locate them - PM me and I will email them to you) get a "feel" for it before you come to visit so you are a bit more familiar and you will feel like it is more like "home". But do come! Spend a week if you can. We have many hotels nearby and within Palm Coast. What you see on the web is not as true (bad or good) as you see in person.
Hope this helps!!

TeeJayMaJay

Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 AM

Default Ps.....

ps baygryl - if you meant gasoline and not gas (utility) it is high here. We are over $3.60 now. Seems to go up a penny every other day if not every day.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Default babiegyrl

The website is very helpful. What are these sections about W, P, etc...is one any better than the other. I see that we can get a lot more for our money there as far as houses. Not familiar with the site yet what is PM?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
Just want to say all the postings and replys are so goo on here. We are also thinking of moving to Palm Coast area. Our family live in the area, and Jacksonvile, also St Aug. We have been ther so meany times and wanting to move from Seattle. We need the SUN badly. Please all keep posting your information about Palm Coast, we are very gratfull for all of you Good people that are living there. You all have made it cleare the not just the area is nice but the people are priceless to.
Thanks again
Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or