U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:11 AM

38 posts, read 199,058 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is one for all Floridians (I hope you don't mind the term) and those of you who've visited or lived in Florida. I love the beach and I'm sure most of you do too, and that's one of the many things that drew you there.

If anyone has any comment, good or bad (hopefully more good than bad), I would love to hear about all of your experiences. Pictures of the beaches and all of Florida would be greatly appreciated.

I would also love to hear aboutto other outdoor experiences.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2006, 06:08 PM

363 posts, read 1,864,093 times
I lived in Florida for the first 34 years of my life. I have lived in St. Pete, Clearwater, New Port Richey, and even breifly, Cape Coral. I can tell you that Florida is as beautiful as any other state. It seems to me that everywhere has it's pros and cons. Clearwater Beach is white sand and magnificient. Often crowded, but not if you go during the week and of course, NOT during summer or spring breaks! Beaches take on many different personalities. I mean, if you like natural and secluded there are little local spots in Dunedin, New Port Richey, Belleair... (These are all around the Clearwater area). I don't know much about the East Coast. I love the beach (ANY of them) on cool winter evenings and even when it rains. Weird huh? Florida has it's plus's and minuses. Overall, I enjoy much about it there. If that's the area you were looking at, I'd be glad to share what I know. PS I have never heard of someone from FL objecting to being called a Floridian.

Last edited by pioneer8; 05-08-2006 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-08-2006, 07:06 PM

598 posts, read 2,036,258 times
lol I think most people moving here dream about the beaches and like myself, spent the first year at the beach most weekends (Clearwater area), but after you've been here awhile, alot of the excitement wears off (unless you really like to sweat like you never have in your life and swim in 80 degree sticky bathwater of course!) Hehehe... There are beautiful white sand beaches and blue water everywhere, but there are soooooooooooo many people around you everywhere you go. It's risky business trying to take a nice little boat ride with all the jets skis and power boats whizzing by you at break-neck speeds! And they get so close it's really scarey sometimes! It wasn't this way when we first moved here but now sooo many people live here it's just crowded wherever you go it seems... guess I just am not as good as some at finding the secluded spots lol

The gulf side of florida has very very warm water. In the summer it's actually fairly hot. The water really doesn't have any waves. The east coast has much cooler water and fun waves to play in. The one thing that is really nice though is the seabreeze all the time.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 PM

393 posts, read 1,596,651 times
Another one on the plus column. Live further down, Sarasota. Lovely, wonderful beaches, crowded during winter season w/all the snowbirds. Not so bad during summer. Agree w/above two comments. Come on down!!! you'll love it. Oh other wildlife, you ask. Mmmm. How about alligators!!! But seriously, there are wonderful, beautiful animals, birds, and plants here. And all the glorious almost daily, happy SUNSHINE !!! I love it !!!!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:01 PM

Thank you so much everyone! It's really nice to hear from Floridians (lol!).

Beautiful beaches? I believe it

Jet ski's? Sounds hectic, but I think I can sacrifice that for beautiful warm beaches. Wouldn't mind riding one myself, at least once (but away from swimmers

Gators? oooooh - I don't know about them - But I think I'll have to post a thread about em' because I have A Lot of ?'s (like don't they hang out by the springs where people swim?)

Old 05-08-2006, 10:33 PM

NO GATORS AT THE BEACH!! The alligators are in lakes and rivers. I tubed down a river around Crystal River when I was a girl. People do it. I wouldn't today, to many kids depending on me. There are definitely alligators in Florida waters. Just gotta go with someone who knows lots about such things. Don't worry though. I'm the biggest chicken in the world and even I got on a jet ski on a park lake in Clearwater. Florida's fun. Yeh it's hot, but not if you stay wet! (smile) You're makin me miss it a bit! Have fun!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 PM

598 posts, read 2,036,258 times
Gators are all over the place lol! This is not a place where you can pull off the road and wander down to the water through the bushes and go swimming or fishing. Don't walk your dog near the water (any water). There are gators in the waterways and during mating season they migrate to different parts of an area looking for a mate... like through your back yard or across main streets etc. And you absolutely DO NOT swim in the lakes, canals or rivers! Not even the small pond behind your apartment in the middle of downtown! Stay at the designated beaches. This is their homeland first. Just like some places have wolves or bears... we have gators. You learn the rules and stay out of their way and all is well It's actually kinda neat seeing them now and then. They are amazing creatures.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:15 AM

I was just surprised to hear that so many people swim in the Springs. I've seen it in pictures. I don't see any gators around and there is no mention of the in the clear springs. Are they common? When is mating season?

Old 05-09-2006, 07:04 AM

467 posts, read 1,549,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-Florida
I was just surprised to hear that so many people swim in the Springs. I've seen it in pictures. I don't see any gators around and there is no mention of the in the clear springs. Are they common? When is mating season?
spend some time reading about gator habits. i'm from the north and the only knowledge i had about gators was from watching tarzan movies. i do alot of kayaking and paddle with them every time. there is a lot to learn about them. mating season is april and i think into may. the males can be a bit more unpredictable at this time. more people have problems with sharks than with gators.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:46 PM

I totally agree with the approach above. Many people enjoy the lakes, rivers, and springs. You may even canoe past one sunning itself up on the bank. Just be informed or with someone who knows the ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or