U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 AM

56 posts, read 180,384 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I have a question for you born-and-raised natives..

can anyone tell me about the etymology of the names of various FL small towns? It seems like the small towns have a lot of odd names like Sopchoppy and Sneads, or are women's names like Mary Esther, Anna Maria, etc. Or the exotic names like Shalimar, Malabar.. etc. Does anyone know about why these towns were named such peculiar things? could you direct me to an etymology source or tell me a few yourself.. not limited to the towns I mentioned? Thanks! I love weird small town names!! LOL. I think I will visit Sneads and then write a poem about it, hehe. The Edward Lear-esque possibilities of that name are endless. "There once was a village called Sneads/In the wind-ruffled water and reeds.." LOL

Last edited by dreamingmark; 04-15-2008 at 07:27 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 08:16 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,339,025 times
Here's the historical info on Anna Maria Island. It's a pretty neat place to visit/live. My parents started a newspaper out on the island when I was a kid.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 AM

8,488 posts, read 19,226,192 times
A good portion of the names as you can imagine are Indian names. Sopchoppy is a variation on the old Indian name of the river nearby.
Most cities were just named after different people. Anna Maria was named after the Queen of Spain.

Now that you bring this up I am interested to find out how they came up with some of the names for the towns in PA like Blue Ball, Intercourse, Climax, Braintrim and Stalker.

Edit: Almost forgot Virginville, they have to update the population of this town very often.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM

18 posts, read 66,839 times
Default Mary Esther

The area was first settled by John Anderson in 1838, and the name "Anderson" or "Andersons" is noted on maps from 1838 to the late 1880's. The area of Mary Esther was first noted in 1857 in the "Map of the State of Florida" by the Surveyor's General Office. The area encompassing "Anderson" would later become Fort Walton Beach.

Jesse Rogers and his family drove a large cattle herd from Louisiana to the shores of Santa Rosa Sound and settled here in 1842.

Mary Esther, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can check them all out on Wikpedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmark View Post
Hi y'all! I have a question for you born-and-raised natives..

can anyone tell me about the etymology of the names of various FL small towns? It seems like the small towns have a lot of odd names like Sopchoppy and Sneads, or are women's names like Mary Esther, Anna Maria, etc. Or the exotic names like Shalimar, Malabar.. etc. Does anyone know about why these towns were named such peculiar things? could you direct me to an etymology source or tell me a few yourself.. not limited to the towns I mentioned? Thanks! I love weird small town names!! LOL. I think I will visit Sneads and then write a poem about it, hehe. The Edward Lear-esque possibilities of that name are endless. "There once was a village called Sneads/In the wind-ruffled water and reeds.." LOL

Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM

374 posts, read 1,556,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
A good portion of the names as you can imagine are Indian names. Sopchoppy is a variation on the old Indian name of the river nearby.
Most cities were just named after different people. Anna Maria was named after the Queen of Spain.

Now that you bring this up I am interested to find out how they came up with some of the names for the towns in PA like Blue Ball, Intercourse, Climax, Braintrim and Stalker.

Edit: Almost forgot Virginville, they have to update the population of this town very often.
I would think that "Virginville" would have a very small population!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 23,092,604 times
Thumbs up Navarre Fl

History:

The founder of Navarre was Colonel Guy Wyman, colonel in the United States Army. His family used to visit the area, and they had purchased a lot of property. Wyman was in World War I where he met a French nurse named Noel. He wanted to bring her back with him to the United States to marry her, and the only way he could bring her back was to adopt her. So, he did. Noel had actually named Navarre after a province in Spain near France. During the Great Depression, they couldn’t pay the taxes on it. So they had to start selling it off. Part of that property is where the Navarre Park is today. Noel traveled to New York to teach French to earn money to pay the taxes. When she came back, Colonel Wyman had taken a shining to another young lady. When their divorce was final, he told Noel not to set foot on his property. She came on his property allegedly to tend to a pet cemetery that she had, and Colonel Wyman shot her. He didn’t get in trouble because he had warned her. Colonel Wyman’s parents were murdered in Navarre by the Roberts brothers. Apparently, the Roberts brothers thought the Wymans had a lot of money, tried to rob them and ended up murdering them. They were nabbed and then hanged in Crestview.

Today:
Navarre is an unincorporated community in Santa Rosa County in the Northwest Florida Panhandle. Navarre is about 25 miles east of Pensacola and about 15 miles west of Fort Walton Beach. The community is roughly centered on the junction of U.S. Highway 98 and Florida State Road 87. Navarre is located at 30.401° N 86.863° WCoordinates: 30.401° N 86.863° W. It is located within a portion of the Florida Panhandle observing the Central Time zone. Elevation is 10 feet. The community of Navarre is located on the Gulf Coastal Plain and is built on mostly sandy soil. It is bounded geographically in the north by the East River and on the south by the Santa Rosa Sound. A town located between major Naval and Air Force bases. Along with Navarre Beach, Navarre is increasingly becoming a tourist recreational area, declaring itself "Florida's Best Kept Secret." A boardwalk, park, and butterfly house are located near the bridge to Navarre Beach, which is immediately across Santa Rosa Sound to the south.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM

79 posts, read 177,333 times
This is great stuff! There is a book whose title I do not remember all about Florida place names.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,084,656 times
Hmm...I know the area Malabar very well but was always told it was named after some guy named Malabar. Not sure if this was a famous person or not, but always assumed it was a local businessman that owned a lot of property.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 AM

84 posts, read 209,410 times
the best part of driving thru florida is the town names. my favs are micanopy and withlacoochee. i'm sure they're indian in origin.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 76,852 times
I can't get past Thonotosassa. It seems no one knows how it is properly pronounced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida