Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Go to any Cracker Barrel to get southern food -- including cornmeal muffins, pinto beans, turnip greens, fried okra, sweet tea...and blackberry cobbler for dessert.

And the breakfasts are huge...yes, with grits. You can even get country ham.
I'm hungry.........but I find everyone makes their tea too sweet for me. I hate the syrupy kind.

Oh yes, slice up some tomatoes, cukes, green peppers and green onions with that and I would think I had died and gone to heaven.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Most restaurants I'm in are perfectly happy to make your tea half sweet and half unsweet, which tends to make the sugar level far more tolerable for me.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Thumbs up The REAL Florida Deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmark View Post
Can a person get "southern" food in Florida? (YEAH for fried chicken, grits and sweet tea!) and are there any foods that are uniquely Floridian? AND/OR... southern foods unique to FL? thanks
P.S. I am a Northerner.. however had the fortune of being raised by a lovely lady with roots in the great state of Georgia!
Here is an exceptional place to check out called the Yearling Restaurant in Hawthorne, FL (between Ocala + Gainesville). It is definitely Southern, Old Florida dining -- it's a bit of a dive with really amazing food and delicacies including fresh cooter and frog legs!:
The Yearling Restaurant - Cross Creek Florida's Fine Cracker Cuisine.

Make sure you visit when authentic blues musician Willie Green is playing.

I love it as a day trip as you'll have an experience and food you can't find at Cracker Barrel for sure!

But be sure to dress down (i.e. like you're going hiking/fishing) as nobody there cares about where you're from anyway as it's NOT the Cheesecake Factory at the Mall (and your D&G handbag + matching shades will clash with the original tacky charm and one of the reasons I enjoy going there in the first place).

Last edited by daytonadewd; 09-08-2010 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 03:28 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
As far as "unique" you can get Fried Gator Tail if you look hard enough. In Tampa it's done at Skippers and Bally Hoo's (spelling?). Just don't stay in the Skipper area after dark.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 98,354 times
Quote:
fresh cooter
I dare not ask...

Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I'm hungry.........but I find everyone makes their tea too sweet for me. I hate the syrupy kind.

Oh yes, slice up some tomatoes, cukes, green peppers and green onions with that and I would think I had died and gone to heaven.....
Nobody in my family makes their tea nearly as sweet as what you get in those restaurants. Fast food sweet tea is the worst, that stuff is so sweet I can't even drink it most of the time.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM

210 posts, read 664,833 times
Heres just a few....Buddy Freddy's in Brandon, Branch Ranch in Plant City, Stumps, Village Pankake House, Colonade, Jimbos BBQ, Wrights all in Tampa, Vittles and Deep South BBQ in Brooksville, Poseys Oyster House in Panacea, Boss Oyster and The Grille in Apalachicola, The Gazebo and The OAks in Marianna, Nick's in Blue Mountain Beach, Temptation in Boca Grande

Old 04-24-2011, 03:47 AM

407 posts, read 388,571 times
I recommend Sonny's. Delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida