U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,944,081 times

Advertisements

By the way, the folks that told us that their kid had long term subs two years in a row lived in Flagler County. As far as I know all the surrounding counties have similar priorities (cheap as possible) schools. Don't bother living in Palm Coast or anywhere in a nearby county and thinking they have good schools. Folks here's perspectives are relative to local and Florida conditions. Think about it, most folks moving to Florida are retirees that do not have kids in school and thus prefer lower taxes over better schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:40 PM

22 posts, read 104,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I live in Ormond-by-the-sea (zip 32176). 65k will go much farther here than in NY. Holly Hill (aka Holy Hell) is supposed to be the worst area in this area. There are probably bad areas in each city, but except for an area near ISB in Daytona Beach and Holly Hill we don't know where they are. I recommend this area as a great place to live to everyone that does not have school age children.

The biggest problem you will have is finding a school where you would want your kids going to. Folks here will tell you that so and so school is a good school but be aware that is a relative statement. Maybe compared with worst in the county they are a good school but compared to schools up north, schools in Florida are bad. School systems here and particularly Volusia County are geared to preparing students for jobs in the hospitality industry and the goal of schools systems here are to be as cheap as possible. Look at the experience level of the teachers in any school system you consider. When you hear parents say their kid had a long term substitute two years in a row, your jaw may drop, but locals just say, they told me it won't happen again next year. Mainland High School's principal had to resign after it was exposed that they gave fake AP tests to students - it saved them the cost of 300 more AP tests https://www.ormondbeachobserver.com/...enior-athletes. In the same article, Carl Persis a school board member said that assigning teachers to teach a course in which he or she is not certified is common nowadays because of teacher shortage Their teaching shortage is self created by not keeping teachers very long so they can pay minimum salaries. Experienced teachers that move here are let go because of salary and suggested that instead of having a regular teaching job they should consider being a long term sub, when those positions inevitably open up. Long term subs are paid $10 an hour and have no benefits.

Good luck and deciding whether to move here or not. It won't be an easy choice. Except for schools, Florida is a great place to live.
i do not have kids yet, so the schools not being good wont concern me till I have kids.

Why is Holly Hill such a bad area? I checked the demographics of the area and it doesn't seem like it would have a ghetto or many bad parts. Pardon my ignorance, I am not that familiar in Fl. In NYC if we have an area that is more than 60% white then for sure it is a good area.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:26 PM
TD*

1,684 posts, read 3,855,767 times
Like I said before a good stable, safe, beautiful neighborhood in Ormond Beach is “The Trails”. Look there for housing.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 AM

24,871 posts, read 39,126,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...me-co-op/sby-1

239 condos for sale in Palm Coast, starting at 99K in European Village.
They're all on the NE side, furthest away from Ormond Beach. I was alluding to the SW side which is closest and apparently all single family homes.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:24 AM

24,871 posts, read 39,126,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork33323 View Post
Why is Holly Hill such a bad area? I checked the demographics of the area and it doesn't seem like it would have a ghetto or many bad parts. Pardon my ignorance, I am not that familiar in Fl. In NYC if we have an area that is more than 60% white then for sure it is a good area.
The average household income is under 33K per year and only 40% of residents have a high school diploma. The city personifies the meaning of poor white trash unfortunately which comes with an array of social issues more pronounced than elsewhere which includes public intoxication, drug abuse and crimes committed to help maintain it, domestic violence/assault and rundown living conditions as a result.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,944,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork33323 View Post
i do not have kids yet, so the schools not being good wont concern me till I have kids.

Neighborhood reputations are relative. What is a decent neighborhood in a large eastern industrial city may be considered a bad neighborhood here. There are some more sketchy areas near International Speedway and near route 1 in Daytona Beach and Holly Hill. Sketchy meaning old houses in bad shape, weeds growing in the front yard and panhandlers. Holly Hill may have more burglaries than other areas. You can get an app that plots reported crime by location, date and type. You may find nothing here is scary compared with the city.

Since you don't have kids, you will probably love the cost of living here. I would suggest looking at renting a condo on the beach. It won't be out of your price range and you can figure out where you want to permanently settle in the area. The beach is a huge attraction here and many of the bars and restaurants are beachside or on Beach Street.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:48 PM

34 posts, read 31,548 times
I was out visiting Daytona and Ormond Beach end of Aug and my friend lives in The Trails area of Ormond Beach and I absolutely fell in love with the area. Its like Hawaii to an extent, lush and green with well manicured lawns for the most part. We looked at Margaritaville 55 Plus out there but looking on Realtor.com or Zillow or Redfin the houses in the Ormand area seem reasonable and I would think 65K would be plenty to live out there. Your not far from St Augustine which ws pretty, we drove there for half the day and took the coast down which was beautiful. Coming from San Diego where I live now, we liked Ormond Beach and are contemplating a move. Following this post...…...

Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 PM
TD*

1,684 posts, read 3,855,767 times
The trails is the best neighborhood in Ormond Beach.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:23 AM

8,380 posts, read 6,654,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
The trails is the best neighborhood in Ormond Beach.
I pulled up some current listings.......very outdated/older homes! Is that the norm there or is it just because this isn't the busy time of year to sell?

Old 09-21-2019, 06:44 AM

4,423 posts, read 6,991,417 times
The Trails seems dated to me, very Brady Bunch era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida