Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 695 times

Advertisements

I want to rent a house in Flagler County.

I have a job where I'm able to work from home - no, it's not my business, and it's all done via computer/internet. No extra traffic, no people coming/going all hours, except for the mailman or deliveries from the usual sources like whatever I buy online like everyone else. Just me in a 2 or 3 bdrm house.

A landlord has in their lease that I am unable to make a spare room an office for working from home. I've researched everywhere, short of calling on an attorney (yet). I get it that they don't want a business in a housing area, but I'm an employee of a company out-of-state that lets me live here in FL while working for them. No, this isn't in an area with HOA and I'd be responsible for all my bills, the usual.

Does anyone have experience with this? Can a landlord really put this in a lease to me from working my normal 8-hour a day job in my own home?

Thanks. G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 07:17 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
This makes no sense. If you're renting the unit, what does it matter whether you're in a room on a computer doing work or in a room watching movies? How is anyone even going to know what you're doing in there?

If I were you, I just wouldn't even say anything to the landlord about that.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
It might have to do with the landlord's insurance. If that's it maybe they would let you rent if you were willing to pay a premium for a rider allowing that use.

--> We had an employee where I work whose house burned down and the cause was found to be bad wiring into the home office machinery. When we started digging into who was liable I started to realize how hazy it was.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:51 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniO View Post
Does anyone have experience with this? Can a landlord really put this in a lease to me from working my normal 8-hour a day job in my own home?
There would be zero reason why any landlord would not want their tenant to work from home in this manner unless they were paying some of the bills and knew they might have to shoulder more of the electric bill, for example. In fact, if I were renting out my home to someone, I think it would be great to know they were home most of the day watching over things rather than gone leaving the house empty.

As someone already said, it's a non-issue and shouldn't even be brought up at any point in time.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
The landlord has every right to have such a clause in his lease. He simply does not want you to engaging in commercial business in a residential zone. Every lease that I've ever seen has this clause. It's perfectly legal and proper.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:25 PM

486 posts, read 516,459 times
Usually these restrictions are intended for commercial business with signs, customers, etc. Most such restrictions I have seen specifically say that an in home office that does not meet any of those items above does not fall under this restriction.

Remote work is not the same as Commercial Business. Most landlords will find it nearly impossible to find people that are paid well in today's market, that do not work from home at least part of the time.

So if this is an issue, dont rent from them. You will probably find they are a terribly landlord.

Both my wife and I work from home up in Duval county, our apartment complex has zero issue with this scenario. We are buying a house and every HOA document I read(over 10 communities) called out the restrictions I put in my first sentence and remote work was fine.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
The landlord has every right to have such a clause in his lease. He simply does not want you to engaging in commercial business in a residential zone. Every lease that I've ever seen has this clause. It's perfectly legal and proper.
This is not the same as

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniO View Post

I have a job where I'm able to work from home - no, it's not my business, and it's all done via computer/internet.

A landlord has in their lease that I am unable to make a spare room an office for working from home.

Thanks. G
If that is indeed what they mean, they need to reword their lease, because as it is, it's ridiculous.
Most professional jobs nowadays have duties that can be accomplished from home, and whether one decides to work on their computer while laying in bed or in a room dedicated to office work, or while on the toilet taking a ****, should be no one but the tenant's business.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:53 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
No they do not. False. Not only have I never seen this before, I've never even HEARD about such a ridiculous clause!

I think you're confusing someone turning on a laptop and working from their home office vs. starting a hair salon with people coming and going all day in your home. Again, why would a home owner care if Jon Smith was a writer and wrote books from his home office every day? If you can intelligently speak to why that would be an issue, I'd love to hear it.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:52 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
No they do not. False. Not only have I never seen this before, I've never even HEARD about such a ridiculous clause!

I think you're confusing someone turning on a laptop and working from their home office vs. starting a hair salon with people coming and going all day in your home. Again, why would a home owner care if Jon Smith was a writer and wrote books from his home office every day? If you can intelligently speak to why that would be an issue, I'd love to hear it.

Please, by all means, cite the Florida statute that states that the landlords clause is unenforcable.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Please, by all means, cite the Florida statute that states that the landlords clause is unenforcable.
Well, please explain to me how anyone would enforce this at all? Unless the landlord lives in the unit with the tenant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida