Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 05:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
North Florida weather shouldn't be too much of an issue, especially with Puerto Ricans dominating the NYC tri-state area for decades which many Puerto Ricans in Orlando moved from. Jacksonville is more known as an Asian hub than a Hispanic hub even tho Hispanics make much more of the total population. Hispanics in the Panhandle would most likely be Mexican due to the proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. Gainesville i guess would be a mix of Mexican and Caribbean base Hispanics (leaning more towards the former). Weather shouldn't be an issue as long as the job market is strong and the city is tolerant of their way of life. North Florida is obviously a lot more conservative than the rest of Florida, but if a state like North Carolina can go from virtually having no Hispanics prior to 1990 to now the Hispanic population is over a tenth of the state's total population than it should be easy for North Florida to gain a spike especially with it already being in a state with an established Hispanic population.
You're absolutely correct. I'm NC born and bred, and Hispanics (Asians as well) were practically non existent here before the 90s. By the year 2000, Latinos were all over the state. In my city, an area that was once predominantly White working class is now pretty much 90% Hispanic. It's actually called 'Little Mexico' by many people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 06:03 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
You're absolutely correct. I'm NC born and bred, and Hispanics (Asians as well) were practically non existent here before the 90s. By the year 2000, Latinos were all over the state. In my city, an area that was once predominantly White working class is now pretty much 90% Hispanic. It's actually called 'Little Mexico' by many people here.
I'm not a NC native but I remember the people in the area of NC I was living in (Richmond County) told me they saw a few Asians in the 70s and 80s mostly Vietnamese decent. NC was never known as an Asian hub but I remember seeing a ton of Asians in Greensboro and Raliegh.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:33 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Most of FL has turned into Cuba.

And a multitude of them are Puerto Ricans, which are AMERICANS........

Old 12-02-2019, 04:14 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Most of FL has turned into Cuba.
Quote:
It is all the same to me. You don't know thing about it.
Typical FL racist's rant, "they're all the same"...

I do know a thing about it by the way as a native Floridian who watched South Florida transform during the 60s and 70s with the large influx of Cuban immigrants, and in Central Florida the past 10-15 years with the equally massive influx of Puerto Ricans.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:27 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

I do know a thing about it by the way as a native Floridian who watched South Florida transform during the 60s and 70s with the large influx of Cuban immigrants, and in Central Florida the past 10-15 years with the equally massive influx of Puerto Ricans.
Even worse. I was here before you and seen the state go down hill with thugs and crime. I hate all races the same james. Be it white or black jack. All races do crimes and kill.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:

I do know a thing about it by the way as a native Floridian who watched South Florida transform during the 60s and 70s with the large influx of Cuban immigrants and in Central Florida the past 10-15 years with the equally massive influx of Puerto Ricans.
It's people like that are what gives Florida, a bad reputation. Florida like the rest of the South has had a stigma of racism and bigotry for a long time even though Florida is more cosmopolitan and transplant heavy you still have that nimby type. Thankfully the state has a high amount of international tourism to balance out the bigotry.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 AM

267 posts, read 262,358 times
When I lived in Jacksonville, I was told that according to the census (I believe) Jax had 55,000 Hispanics (that was a couple of years ago). But when we went out to look for Latin entertainment, we always wondered where they were all hiding. Only a few of them went out to support Hispanic events.

From my own experience, African Americans are much more visible in Jax than Hispanics. Many Hispanics live there but you don't see them, at least I didn't. They seem to stay to themselves.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Jacksonville is just 7% Hispanic, which is well below the national average of 16%. Gainesville, Tallahassee and Pensacola are all around 6%, Ocala is at 11% probably due more to it's sizable agricultural/farming sector. In other words I don't think there's a "spike" happening.
The coastal panhandle Hispanic population went up 3-4x during rebuilding from Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis in 04-05. And while a lot of folks were single guys who moved on to Hurricane Katrina projects further down the coast, there were many who found permanent jobs in the area and decided to stay and bring their families here. Not sure if Panama City will get the same Hurricane Michael bump because the housing situation is so bad there that it's really difficult to find a reasonable rent family home within 50 miles of the construction jobs.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
When I lived in Jacksonville, I was told that according to the census (I believe) Jax had 55,000 Hispanics (that was a couple of years ago). But when we went out to look for Latin entertainment, we always wondered where they were all hiding. Only a few of them went out to support Hispanic events.

From my own experience, African Americans are much more visible in Jax than Hispanics. Many Hispanics live there but you don't see them, at least I didn't. They seem to stay to themselves.
Jacksonville is wayy more Black than Hispanic, before moving here I thought Jacksonville was predominantly Black with that said I was in awe just how Hispanic the southside is. Hispanics are very common on the Southside. The Northside you mostly see them near Dunn Av and on the Westside you'll see them near the i-295 circle. Jacksonville is about 30% black vs 8% Hispanic so they're not as common but pretty visible.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:27 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Quote:
The whole country is being taken over. And the southwest is over run with them.
Yes, considering that there are about 23 countries, which have Spanish as their main language, expect to get a multitude of them all from those 23. And more so from the Caribbean, which is close to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida