U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM

220 posts, read 735,524 times
It is against Florida law to feed those.

Trolls become dangerous if they get used to you feeding them.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:44 AM

37 posts, read 72,607 times
Everyone is friendly here! I've never encountered any hostility from anyone.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 PM

21,597 posts, read 29,653,539 times
Okay, well back to the original question...

Most people in Florida are from somewhere else.

Heck, I met a woman that was in her 80s from Estero. She was on the historical society and knew everything about the area, about the old Florida.

Know what? She was born in Ohio and moved to Florida when she was two!

I think what people object to is the people that move into the gated communities knowing full well that they are uprooting panthers and other protected species and not caring. They buy their little piece of sanitized paradise right on the ninth hole and then get mad when an alligator is looking in their dining room from the sliders.

My personal favorite are the snowbirds. They live in Florida for only a few months of the year and let everyone within earshot know it. They tell everybody that they do things so much better where they come from. They don't exactly win over people.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:21 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,175,178 times
My personal favorite are the snowbirds. They live in Florida for only a few months of the year and let everyone within earshot know it. They tell everybody that they do things so much better where they come from. They don't exactly win over people.//Unquote

Well, just so you know that those same snowbirds come back up north and make sure all of us know how refined they are and what big world travelers they are and how much better and more cultured they are since they've spent three months down south.

I understand why people down there would be concerned about the people moving into the territory that was once full of nature and reserved for the animals. We have the same situation out in the Black Hills. People move out into Spearfish Canyon and build a new home and then whine because the deer come up and eat their gardens. They always want an extended hunting season to get rid of them. And duh, the deer were there first.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM

14,334 posts, read 14,739,287 times
Well, just so you know that those same snowbirds come back up north and make sure all of us know how refined they are and what big world travelers they are

Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Well, just so you know that those same snowbirds come back up north and make sure all of us know how refined they are and what big world travelers they are and how much better and more cultured they are since they've spent three months down south.

:
Man, I thought those people shut up a few months of the year. I should have known better!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,686,048 times
Which city gets the largest amount of snowbirds? I'm thinking Melbourne

Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 PM

8,252 posts, read 15,480,307 times
Default We don't hate nothertheners, we are their descendants!

What we hate are the consequences of the constant invasion of Florida from all over the world. They come from the south (islands, central and south America) the north, and east and west. As for the northerners the ones who bring their excessive income or profits from selling their northeast or california bubble to inflate ours. Oh the bragging about NYC or NJ or wherever. The california refugees usually complain about where they came from. People come to Florida to show off but they actually hate our state. It's evident from the gated communities, central air conditioning and an obsession with home improvements. Midwesterners seem to be the most agreeable of all notherners.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:00 AM

I lived in Fort Myers, and it was wall-to-wall snowbirds. I worked at Publix in Estero. I was working 40 hours a week. When the snowbirds left, I went into work and found that all of us were cut down to ten hours a week. No notice. The place would be like a ghost town when they left.

Fort Myers snowbirds are mostly from the midwest. They were not much for bragging, but they were truly miserable and took it out on everyone else. A lot of them were retired union workers and had a hard time understanding that most service workers get a little over minimum wage. They were very demanding and the workers were very resentful.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 AM

14,597 posts, read 15,201,563 times
South Florida is a "Northern" state anyway, populated and made prosperous by emigrating Northerners escaping the Cold. Every now and then I'll see a beat up truck with a Confederate Flag on it travelling around Palm Beach COunty that says something like, "If you love New York, Take I-95 North" and I just think that really, it's the Confederate Flag waving guy that is truly out of place.

He needs to be up in North Florida, where one can fly their Confederate flag with pride and ***** about all the "Northerners" who are really the only reason why FLorida can afford to NOT have a sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida