U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times

Advertisements

lol- I had to laugh at that statement- I never realized Florida represented WORLD TRAVEL.

It is considered "world travel" for some of the older folks here in the midwest. They have to let us all know how cool they are.

Hey Rick, I like your statement that the midwesterners seem to be the most agreeable of the transplants. It gives me encouragement that we'll be accepted there.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:37 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,730,473 times
Jammie, it wasn't directed at you- but those people who perceive themselves as cosmopolitan travelers simply because they bought a second home in Florida- That is where the term "ugly american" fits in. Loud, rude and arrogant- the people who are usually most vocal about having money sometimes don't.

sunny

Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM

177 posts, read 629,318 times
All my life, I have been hearing stereotypes about the people who live in the South. They are all rednecks, they are all racist, they are not educated, etc. Now we all know that it is not true. Sure there are people in the South who fit into those categories, just as there are people in the North who fit those same categories. But the great majority of southerners are just regular people who happen to live in the south.
I see some people here stereotyping people from the north because they have had some bad experiences with transplants. Not all northerners have an attitude, not all northerners are pushy, impolite or rude. The great majority of us are just as polite and considerate as the residents of Florida.
I can understand someone being wary of my wife and I in the beginning but after getting to know us, they will find that we are just like they are, with the same manners and values. I just ignore the rude and impolite people whether they come from the north or whether they are long time Florida residents.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,093,460 times
It's the same wherever you go. Some people fit the stereotype, most don't.

When people find out I'm from NY, they automatically assume I'm from "the City" and remark "Oh, but you're so nice!"

Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM

263 posts, read 905,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
He needs to be up in North Florida, where one can fly their Confederate flag with pride and ***** about all the "Northerners" who are really the only reason why FLorida can afford to NOT have a sales tax.
Um, no thanks....I am a native NYer linving in Jax, and he can keep on going on to GA. My wife is a 3rd generation Jacksonville native, and is surprised when she meets someone who was born here.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,730,473 times
Lightbulb Native Floridians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post
Um, no thanks....I am a native NYer linving in Jax, and he can keep on going on to GA. My wife is a 3rd generation Jacksonville native, and is surprised when she meets someone who was born here.

wow- I wish I had met some native Floridians in the 8 years we were there (South Florida). When we were married, my husband and I LOVED Amelia Island AND the people seemed very nice. I have only driven through Jacksonville but have an uncle in St. Augustine. We drove through all of Florida though, and I will say that it is amazing how different it is. Guess we made the mistake of buying a house in the wrong part. I would consider retiring there again (in the north, or panhandle) though.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
South Florida is a "Northern" state anyway, populated and made prosperous by emigrating Northerners escaping the Cold. Every now and then I'll see a beat up truck with a Confederate Flag on it travelling around Palm Beach COunty that says something like, "If you love New York, Take I-95 North" and I just think that really, it's the Confederate Flag waving guy that is truly out of place.

He needs to be up in North Florida, where one can fly their Confederate flag with pride and ***** about all the "Northerners" who are really the only reason why FLorida can afford to NOT have a sales tax.
Florida has no sales tax?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:39 PM

263 posts, read 905,821 times
I think he meant to say state income tax.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 22,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post
I was born in Orlando and feel exactly the same way. Visitors here are also surprised when I tell them, exact quote "your a rarity around here!"
I really dislike the fact that the snowbirds think that we are here all year just waiting to serve them.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,233,485 times
Up here we get snowbirds, but the locals folks are not negative about them. They just become part of the community. Actually much has changed since they opened Publix, all of the snowbirds or yearly visitors shop at Publix. All the local folks go to WinnDixie or PigglyWigley for their food needs, not a lot of clash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or