Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:15 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times

Advertisements

This is too damn cold!!.....my body freezes up...I can't move and don't even want to move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Funny thing is, the folks we talked to in Jacksonville, before we moved back to Colorado, don't even know where Colorado, or surrounding States are. And, if people from Colorado move to a warmer climate, most don't go to Florida. They go to Arizona. When we have told folks here (northern Colorado), that we just spent 10 1/2 years in northeastern Florida, the first thing they say is "why?". IOW, no love for Florida, or the southern states, here.

Yes, there is definitely a "winter" here, but that "winter" doesn't bother any of the Seniors that live here. And, they have told us that.

Another thing, housing for Seniors here is just like Florida...…..expensive. We've checked.

Florida has it's pluses and minuses, just like here in Colorado or any of the surrounding states.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:12 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
This is too damn cold!!.....my body freezes up...I can't move and don't even want to move
It's raining Iguana's!

Old 01-22-2020, 01:20 PM

What was really sort of funny, and shocking at the same time, our apartment in Jacksonville had a wood-burning fireplace. Who on earth would think of anywhere in Florida having a fireplace? Florida isn't suppose to get THAT cold, but it sure did.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:13 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What was really sort of funny, and shocking at the same time, our apartment in Jacksonville had a wood-burning fireplace. Who on earth would think of anywhere in Florida having a fireplace? Florida isn't suppose to get THAT cold, but it sure did.
My old house in Mount Dora had one as well... I used it once, and not necessarily for heat.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 PM

815 posts, read 980,149 times
We have a fireplace and use it quite often here in north Florida.

A month or two of chilly weather is tolerable and a welcome change, even though I much prefer warm temperatures. We had a frost last night, but many years it doesn't get below 33 degrees here as our overnight lows. It warmed up to a very pleasant sunny 65 degrees today

Old 01-24-2020, 06:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,357 times
We live beachside about 800 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. When a tropical storm goes by and the winds get too high, they may close a bridge. I have not heard of forcing folks from their home. The only time we had a mandatory evacuation, a county sheriff car drove around with a loudspeaker telling folks to leave. They can't force people to leave their homes, but they will tell the bars to shut down.

Tearing down and rebuilding requires you build to current code. In my zip code 32176, that means building for a wind speed of 130+ mph.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:25 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
We live beachside about 800 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. When a tropical storm goes by and the winds get too high, they may close a bridge. I have not heard of forcing folks from their home. The only time we had a mandatory evacuation, a county sheriff car drove around with a loudspeaker telling folks to leave. They can't force people to leave their homes, but they will tell the bars to shut down.

Tearing down and rebuilding requires you build to current code. In my zip code 32176, that means building for a wind speed of 130+ mph.
When they say "mandatory evacuation" that also means if you have an emergency, they may not come to help you...even if you call 911, all bets are off. If you are in fragile health, or unarmed, I'd bail.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
We have a fireplace and use it quite often here in north Florida.

A month or two of chilly weather is tolerable and a welcome change, even though I much prefer warm temperatures. We had a frost last night, but many years it doesn't get below 33 degrees here as our overnight lows. It warmed up to a very pleasant sunny 65 degrees today
Funny thing is, most everyone in the North or West think all of Florida is nice and warm all year long. Well, stores in northern Florida don't sell winter coats for nothing. When we lived there (Jacksonville), we seen folks wearing winter-type coats, gloves and even snow boots. Who would think any of that would be worn in any part of Florida?? Here in northern Colorado, yes, definitely, but not in Florida. We were really, really surprised at temps in Jacksonville, let alone seeing a thin layer of ice and seeing your breath!

We ended up winterizing our 20' power boat as well, just like we do here (where we have to).

Old 07-01-2020, 01:17 PM

105 posts, read 127,073 times
Thank you all for the responses. Obviously, this pandemic has affected our plans. Although, we have frequently looked online. For now, we have been focusing around the Daytona area. And also a bit south towards Melbourne. We were rented a home in Ormond Beach for early next year. Not sure though if we will keep it bc of the present situation. I really want to stay in a latitude that will allow me to grow tropical fruit trees like citruses and fruit trees not affected by a cold snap. I'm still hoping to pursue this plan of moving and get out of Michigan winters. Lived here over 40 years and this weather is starting to really bother us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida