U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,585 posts, read 1,911,930 times
Reputation: 1143

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
RTW does no such thing. it simply doesn't allow mandatory union membership as a condition of becoming employed.
That's what I said. RTW doesn't allow an employer to do something. It is not free markets. Duh, glad you agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Whispering pines, cutler bay FL.
1,912 posts, read 2,193,014 times
Reputation: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Unions, unions, unions. A farce that makes workers think that they can get a job, get paid well, reap a lot of benefits and while doing so be a slacker.
Sorry but hubby is a Duke graduate with high marks worked in the best Labs in the country and because he started his first air lab here in south Fl he stayed here. His pension is here but my Husband has devleloped a lot for south Florida as a county worker on his own time with out any added benefit other then his pension and state recognition. My DH hates private enterprize and has worked for the gov. Guess what because of him in MIAMI and IN Broward we have better air quality, better parks and better beaches.

My hubby works for a third of what he is worth and private firms want to strip him away from Miami, and he won't because he worked for private enterprise in Cali and knew how that worked out.

Thank God that some folks just want stability and will work for smaller salaries just to do research. Thank God folk of Miami have a high calibre Chemist on their team, one that manages a lot of problems for Miami working. Often 12 to 15 hours days.

Guess what he is a Union member that pays his dues. God does anyone remember when dad made the living and mom could stay home?

GEEZ H X, when was it bad that Dad could afford us? I do not mind that women like my self can be COO, owner, I was! But hellto think that now both parents have to have two jobs is wrong. Unions worked for.
A Reason, lower middle class to make it to middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,715,989 times
Reputation: 10163
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
RTW does no such thing. it simply doesn't allow mandatory union membership as a condition of becoming employed.
You simply argue by assertion, as though repeating the same illogical position over and over will somehow convince.

Like many who favor these laws you refuse to address the issue of how forcing a union to represent people who refuse to pay for it's services is consistent with either free market principles or political freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 AM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,814,879 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You simply argue by assertion, as though repeating the same illogical position over and over will somehow convince.

Like many who favor these laws you refuse to address the issue of how forcing a union to represent people who refuse to pay for it's services is consistent with either free market principles or political freedom.
The union can do what it damn well pleases. It is ridiculous to require union membership as a prerequisite to work for a specific employer.

In a free market, the union would be able to stand on its own, without government interference to mandate it's support in order to get a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,715,989 times
Reputation: 10163
Polly want a cracker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Reputation: 6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Will join a UNION anytime !! I have experienced the protection.
What "protection" did you need/want that a non union employee had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Reputation: 6009
Kudos to your dedicated husband.

What happened to the middle class? Why did/do companies send their work overseas?

Unions choked out employers who could not keep up with the ridiculous demands.

Union membership continues to decline year after year.

Unions say employees need a voice in the work place. What employees need to do is their job and stop worrying how the employer operates his business. If someone is on a job where they feel they are underpaid, not respected, or other problems they need to find a better job.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Sorry but hubby is a Duke graduate with high marks worked in the best Labs in the country and because he started his first air lab here in south Fl he stayed here. His pension is here but my Husband has devleloped a lot for south Florida as a county worker on his own time with out any added benefit other then his pension and state recognition. My DH hates private enterprize and has worked for the gov. Guess what because of him in MIAMI and IN Broward we have better air quality, better parks and better beaches.

My hubby works for a third of what he is worth and private firms want to strip him away from Miami, and he won't because he worked for private enterprise in Cali and knew how that worked out.

Thank God that some folks just want stability and will work for smaller salaries just to do research. Thank God folk of Miami have a high calibre Chemist on their team, one that manages a lot of problems for Miami working. Often 12 to 15 hours days.

Guess what he is a Union member that pays his dues. God does anyone remember when dad made the living and mom could stay home?

GEEZ H X, when was it bad that Dad could afford us? I do not mind that women like my self can be COO, owner, I was! But hellto think that now both parents have to have two jobs is wrong. Unions worked for.
A Reason, lower middle class to make it to middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,715,989 times
Reputation: 10163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What employees need to do is their job and stop worrying how the employer operates his business. If someone is on a job where they feel they are underpaid, not respected, or other problems they need to find a better job.
You explain what's in YOUR interest, not what's in the interest of workers. Your contempt for workers shines through, brilliantly. And you're unable to make an argument combining conservative economic theory with actual conservative economic practice.

I was in a union for 35 years. I made good living at wages considerably higher than those of non union workers doing the same work. I paid off my house, drove new cars and sent my kids through the University of Illinois; paid every nickel out of pocket--tuition, books, housing, food--everything. Then I retired at 55 with a nice pension.

Now that might not have been in your interest but if you can show how it wasn't in mine I'll call you Aristotle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,715,989 times
Reputation: 10163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If someone is on a job where they feel they are underpaid, not respected, or other problems they need to find a better job.
Then as a conservative who champions employers, do you feel the same about workers who don't like the conditions of employment? They need to find a better job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 AM
 
10,575 posts, read 10,814,879 times
Reputation: 5224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You explain what's in YOUR interest, not what's in the interest of workers. Your contempt for workers shines through, brilliantly. And you're unable to make an argument combining conservative economic theory with actual conservative economic practice.

I was in a union for 35 years. I made good living at wages considerably higher than those of non union workers doing the same work. I paid off my house, drove new cars and sent my kids through the University of Illinois; paid every nickel out of pocket--tuition, books, housing, food--everything. Then I retired at 55 with a nice pension.

Now that might not have been in your interest but if you can show how it wasn't in mine I'll call you Aristotle.
Unions were good a century ago for basic worker safety and protection. Now we have something called OSHA.

Modern unions have bankrupted cities in CA and Detroit, and companies like GM. Fact. GM should have gone through a real bankruptcy after making foolish decisions like letting an 18-year old retire at 48 after 30 years with $$$$$ for life. Unions exist only to enrich themselves, period. They could care less about the workers, unless those workers are paying union dues. A parasite will suck its victim dry, while a symbiot learns to co-exist. Unions should have been the latter, but unfortunately they have been the former in many cases.

Then of course, there are gems like these:

Now what! Neshaminy union defends criminal teacher - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

To Protest Hiring of Nonunion Help, Union Hires Nonunion Pickets - WSJ

Parents stunned that union is seeking a $10K severance for teacher who molested their son - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

Campbell Brown: Teachers Unions Go to Bat for Sexual Predators - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top