Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Very myopic view, advances in technology, globalization have allowed goods to be made overseas at cheaper prices, that equation changed when cargo ships are able to bring a container full of stuff for 1k, there is just no way to compete unless consumers are willing to pay a premium for your US made product. Then you are back at the argument of living wages, right now companies do not pay a living wage for a variety of jobs that are not abled to be outsourced. The companies with the highest earnings will see their stock prices rise, its the duty of management to make that happen for their shareholders, management does not survive they do not get to keep their jobs unless they can figure out how to make more money than the year before, in that environment is impossible for a company to take care of its employees.

If an employer fails to take care of their employees there are only two possible scenarios:

1. There is high turn over, more money is wasted by having to constantly train new people. The product or the quality of service declines. Company looses market share, looses money and they fold up.

2. The company chugs on until it runs out of money and folds up because nobody wants to work for them.

It is against any good business procedure not to take care of your employees otherwise why bother having employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If an employer fails to take care of their employees there are only two possible scenarios:

1. There is high turn over, more money is wasted by having to constantly train new people. The product or the quality of service declines. Company looses market share, looses money and they fold up.

2. The company chugs on until it runs out of money and folds up because nobody wants to work for them.

It is against any good business procedure not to take care of your employees otherwise why bother having employees?
What happens to Wal-Mart, the meat packing industry and dozens of other field where workers are disposable and mistreated.
Capitalism, the drive for whoever can do it cheaper and faster, the drive for more and more profits, has always and will always required human sacrifice before it was mostly in third world countries but now is here and in front of you.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
What happens to Wal-Mart, the meat packing industry and dozens of other field where workers are disposable and mistreated.
Capitalism, the drive for whoever can do it cheaper and faster, the drive for more and more profits, has always and will always required human sacrifice before it was mostly in third world countries but now is here and in front of you.

Tell me how Wal Mart employees are mistreated. Do they get beatings in the back room?

Meat packing is a dirty, hard and dangerous job. Those who select to work in that trade know what they are getting into.

Anyone in this country who is not happy with the employer they have chosen to work for can walk away from it without question or repercussion.

People who are trained to perform a task are more valuable that another person who has to be trained to do the same task.

Disposable? Yeah, if you cant carry your weight on the job, adios.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Does Wal-mart employ slaves?

Hint: NO

Wal-mart is having issues with inventory management/keeping shelves stocked. Part of it is that they have tried to go to "lean" on their labor. A different take on that is Costco, which is able to pay above average wages and benefits by selectively locating in upper-income suburbs of major metro areas. Therefore, WMT has more turnover while Costco is able to retain better quality workers. Unfortunately, Wal-mart does not have the business model to pay wages like Costco does. That's like saying Starbucks and McDonald's should be able to pay the same wages.... they can't and likely never will. Starbucks will never open in the ghetto. McDonald's and Wal-mart? Well you get the point...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:58 PM

So the criteria for employee treatment are beatings in the backroom or slavery? Other than that they are good to go?

My point is in our labor market the demand for the low skill is through the roof, there is an endless supply and the retraining factor is minimal so some companies take advantage of that. You cant say if the companies misbehave then they will lose employees, they will lose their best employees sure, but the vast majority will stay, in the case of walmart the public has grown accustomed to deal with ineptitude form their employees so really the quality of their reps is irrelevant.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
US Chamber of Commerce wants more immigration, legalization.

Why? So they can pay less. Citizens are being replaced by H1-B visa holders, putting STEM workers on the street, while the administration says we need to bring in more STEM workers since there is a shortage.

Do you see the problem here?

Tis attitude affects all levels of employment, with a tremendous disconnect between the people at the top of companies/government and us working folk.

It is not a right-to-work issue. It is a work issue in and by itself.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 AM

You havent explained how WalMart mistreats their employees.

Quote:
So the criteria for employee treatment are beatings in the backroom or slavery? Other than that they are good to go?

My point is in our labor market the demand for the low skill is through the roof, there is an endless supply and the retraining factor is minimal so some companies take advantage of that. You cant say if the companies misbehave then they will lose employees, they will lose their best employees sure, but the vast majority will stay, in the case of walmart the public has grown accustomed to deal with ineptitude form their employees so really the quality of their reps is irrelevant.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You havent explained how WalMart mistreats their employees.

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Walmart doesnt ranked in the top 1000 companies to work for, but here you is some reading

Labor union leader targets Walmart worker abuse | Cornell Chronicle
Is Wal-Mart number one? Maybe when it comes to mistreating workers | USCatholic.org

Amazon is one of the most successful companies in the world read this and see how they treat their workers, see if that had any negative effect on their bottom line, it doesnt because plenty of more workers that can be trained to fetch in 15 min, and no one cares as long as i can get my widget cheaper and faster.

Worse than Wal-Mart: Amazon’s sick brutality and secret history of ruthlessly intimidating workers - Salon.com

Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Problem with "bathroom breaks"? Working "in containments - 120 degrees"
I as an employer would also have a problem with employees who would rather hang around the bathroom rather than do the work they are being paid for. How many "bathroom breaks" are these folks requesting in a day? What are contaInments? Does that mean they have to go to a room or area where it is warmer than the rest of the place to do some work? When I was 15 and working in a basement stockroom for a store it was hot as could be down there in the summer. Did I feel the company should install air conditioning?

These are the most ridiculous complaints there could be.

What does the 2nd link have to with this? Unemployed people making money for standing around holding a sign. Yeah and what is the problem with that? Are they being mistreated? I wonder if they get "bathroom breaks" too.

"The Michigan Education Association is going to arbitration to try to force the West Branch-Rose City school district to pay a former teacher who was convicted of molesting a student a $10,000 severance buyout."

Are they serious?? Do any other employees get $10k when they get canned?
I understand the $10k incentive for a teacher to walk away, but $10 paid to someone who lost their job due to a criminal act? Insane.

So where is all this mistreatment????

"For many arbitrators, their livelihood depends on pleasing the unions (whether the United Federation of Teachers in New York City, or other local unions). And the unions—believing that they are helping the cause of teachers by being weak on sexual predators—prefer suspensions and fines, and not dismissal, for teachers charged with inappropriate sexual conduct. The effects of this policy are mounting."

So you are OK with a teacher asking your daughter for oral sex? You have no problem with a teacher commenting on your daughters breasts? You have no problem with your 10 year old boy being molested by an educator? How can these "unions" even think that their members should get away with these crimes and get only a suspension or a fine? They are CRIMINALS and need to be put in JAIL.
I can tell you one thing for sure: If MY kid came home from school and told me about sexual abuse or showed me inappropriate text messages on their phones I would be at that school with a law enforcement officer having that perp arrested for the crimes committed.
They wouldnt have to worry about a suspension from work, they would be more concerned about the prison time they will be serving for that.

So where is all this mistreatment????

Quote:
I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Walmart doesnt ranked in the top 1000 companies to work for, but here you is some reading
Labor union leader targets Walmart worker abuse | Cornell Chronicle
Is Wal-Mart number one? Maybe when it comes to mistreating workers | USCatholic.org

Amazon is one of the most successful companies in the world read this and see how they treat their workers, see if that had any negative effect on their bottom line, it doesnt because plenty of more workers that can be trained to fetch in 15 min, and no one cares as long as i can get my widget cheaper and faster.

Worse than Wal-Mart: Amazon’s sick brutality and secret history of ruthlessly intimidating workers - Salon.com

Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM

No Nazis, no Communists, no Anarchists in the 1930s? You need to brush up on your American history.

Sure businessmen moved their production to cheaper labor nations. They knew that they could not sell their products at a price that would offset the labor costs of producing the product. We'd all be paying
$175.00 for a 12 speed blender.

There are 31 furniture manufacturers in Michigan. The western portion of the state has been in furniture manufacturing for over 100 years. South Carolina isnt doing too bad on furniture manufacture either.
Textiles and clothing manufacture is another story. An industry that was killed off by unions.

The "right wing" has been working a long time to weaken laws put in place haphazardly. Since the Regan days.

Unions have never done anything for me in my work life. They have caused me problems though.
The NYC Transit strike in 1981, sanitation workers strikes, air traffic controller strike, newspaper strikes.

Revolution? Against what?

The well educated decided to take that course knowing that there wasnt much out in their world that they could do without the education. Now they are in great surplus and the demand for their education isnt as high as it used to be.

As far as pleasing the businessmen, I have worked since I was 14 years old. I was always able to negotiate my wage based on the responsibility I took on in the job. The more I did the more I got paid.
I saw others who werent as ambitious become entrenched where they were while I moved up and on.
Those are the people who need unions to keep them employed.

Unions are going the way of the Dodo bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The right wing is working now to weaken and repeal those laws. Are you so naive as to believe human nature has changed, that businessmen are now nice guys, willing to do the right thing out of the goodness of their hearts?

NO American, union or not, can work cheap enough to please the businessmen who move production to cheaper labor nations. Note how industries that in the late 20th Century moved from the north to the south to escape unions have now moved to cheaper labor countries. Furniture production moved from Michigan to the Carolinas and now to China. The same with textiles.

You were fortunate, you worked when unions were strong and non union workers benefitted by their presence, when a non union employer had to compete with union wages and benefits to keep good help. Now Big Money, under the guise that money equals free speech, is spending vast amounts of money to destroy unions. If and when that happens all workers will end up rueing the day.

American conservatives were lucky in that from the 1930s on they benefitted by a politically and economically moderate working class, because the working class was prosperous. No Nazis, no Communists, no Anarchists. Now that prosperity is going down the tubes and I fear our social peace will go down the tubes with it. We already see the beginnings of social breakdown among social groups which were once content; the anger evident in this thread (including mine) is an early symptom. The most to be feared are the young educated people who can't find good paying work and assuage themselves in the hipster culture; it's the educated but frustrated who lead revolutions.

I'm reminded of the breakdown of the Roman Republic.

In any event you fail to reconcile "right to work" with free market principles. It appears you no longer care to but appeal only to your notions of self interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida