Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM

143 posts, read 649,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
"Right to work" keeps salaries very low in Florida.
It also helps attract new business and produce more jobs. Unions were neccessary at one time, but with all the regulations in place these days, I'm not sure they are all that neccessary. They often do more harm then good. They are big contributing factor in the decline of the US auto industry. They would have sunk the Airlines by now if the Airlines weren't protected from foreign competition. And personally I would not want to be forced to join a union just to work somewhere. How is that fair? (retoricle question)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,503 times
Florida takes care of the people with money and thats it! There is no job security here at all ... unless you are in the medical field. The way people are exploited is sad. Some people are working way under the pay range and its making it impossible for them to pay rent and feed families. The economy is literally making it impossible to be a middle class person you are either poor and a slave to the rich or homeless. The sad thing is Florida is also so so beautiful and when you are forced to leave its hard not to miss the pretty beach and the diversity. I am a single girl and unless you are married or have family here you will get pushed out. Also not knowing Spanish is a terrible here. I can't tell you how relieved I was when I finally learned the roads, because if you get lost in Miami you will not be able to ask for directions!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,503 times
also I have found that professionalism is not popular either. Sexual harassment is a problem here and because so many companies are family owned your only way of avoiding it is to leave.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:28 PM

269 posts, read 1,006,878 times
One of the reasons companies move to Florida to do business is so they don't have to deal with unions destroying their business. That, and they can pay less because people in Union States like New York and Pennsylvania pay a good portion of their salary in taxes. (Florida has no income taxes)

Now that homes are a lot higher, businesses need to pay more, so we probably won't see as many in the near future.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
As far as I understand (don't hold me to this) a right to work state is a state in which you do not have to be in a union (union shop) to work certain jobs. People confuse right to work with "at will" employment in which an employer can fire you at any time for any reason. At will employment also means you can quit at any time for any reason. "At will" employment can occur in non right to work state as well. I hope this helps. Florida is a very pro-employer state.
What do you mean that FL. is a very pro-employer state? Does that give the employer the right to fire at anytime and what other states are pro-employer? Does the employee have any rights in theses states? If they do-let me know ,please.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,900,849 times
Another thing they can do is pay you minimum wage for whatever they owe you. So, if you were making $15/hr, they can pay you $6.79/hr for the reamining checks they owe you. I was on salary and the boss wanted me to do more hours without paying more. (not to mention, I was already full-time and didn't want more hours) I told him no, got my check and those additional hours he wanted me to do were deducted from my check. (16 hours) couldn't get the money back either.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM

986 posts, read 3,535,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Wager View Post
What do you mean that FL. is a very pro-employer state? Does that give the employer the right to fire at anytime and what other states are pro-employer? Does the employee have any rights in theses states? If they do-let me know ,please.
Im afraid that is true, in Florida an employer can terminate your employment at anytime for no reason whatsoever.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Another thing they can do is pay you minimum wage for whatever they owe you. So, if you were making $15/hr, they can pay you $6.79/hr for the reamining checks they owe you. I was on salary and the boss wanted me to do more hours without paying more. (not to mention, I was already full-time and didn't want more hours) I told him no, got my check and those additional hours he wanted me to do were deducted from my check. (16 hours) couldn't get the money back either.
I have never heard of anyone doing that. Did you quit?

I know they have to pay you for hours worked. Maybe I am interpreting your post incorrectly.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM

986 posts, read 3,535,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have never heard of anyone doing that. Did you quit?

I know they have to pay you for hours worked. Maybe I am interpreting your post incorrectly.
I was going to ask about that aswell, because as far as im aware if you have a contract of employment they cant do that. They would have to pay you the full amount.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
Well, I don't know if I would call it a contract exactly, but if your hours are 40 and your hourly pay is $15 which is what you both agreed upon, then they have to pay you that amount. They can not arbitrarily change your pay without notifying you. They especially can not dock your pay because you didn't work extra hours. That is against federal law, right to work has nothing to do with it.

Believe me, there are employers in FL who do not know the law or figure you don't and won't ask. My DH worked for a company who pulled something similar and I was able to prove they broke the federal law. The feds came in and fined them big time after checking their records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida