Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 01:22 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,301,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Here in St Johns County we've only had 1 new case reported in each of the last few days. I know there are probably way more new cases with unreported illnesses but still.......we're beyond flattening of the curve, we are now on downside and almost at zero new cases. No reason to celebrate yet but we're hopeful this is a good sign for our area. Duval is a different story.....
All of Florida had 607 new reported cases and Dade County 261 yesterday, those are the lowest numbers since late March when we were still on the upward slope of the curve. In the same vein, Italy has reported fewer than 3,000 new cases for the second day in a row, the lowest since mid-March when they were still on the upward slope of the curve.

If the trends of the last three days continue all this week and into next, we can safely say that the mitigation measures achieve what they are designed to achieve.

But, agreed, no reason to celebrate yet. Next steps will be to continue mitigation to bring new cases to below three digits, continue social distancing, develop reliable treatments, develop, mass produce and distribute both antibody and antigen testing to be able to pinpoint and contain, and, finally, develop, mass produce and distribute a CoVid-19 shot, vaccine or mitigative.

All that is a long and uncertain process, but could happen starting in one/two months and over the next 18 months, we'll see.

All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 02:35 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
If you went out int the past month, you've already been exposed.
We all just gave power to the government to allow this...wow. Nothing really shut down.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Volusia County (Ormond Beach) 226 cases

Sumpter County (The Villages) 113 cases

As of April 14, 2020
You are right Volusia has a lot of cases- we had bike week!

Old 04-15-2020, 04:08 PM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
If you went out int the past month, you've already been exposed.
We all just gave power to the government to allow this...wow. Nothing really shut down.
I agree, as fast as this spread around the world...and as contagious as it is

I think almost all of us have been exposed already

Old 04-15-2020, 10:16 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I look at this website.

Overall, at the moment it seems that most hospitals have around 35% excess capacity.

Dade County, with some 460 total hospitalizations since around March 23rd according to official data, is now coming close to capacity according to that website, with 85% total beds filled and 63% adult ICU beds filled, as the number of people entering hospital per day has increased by 60 and 66 in the past two days.

Hope this helps.

That 460 number includes people who have left hospital, either recovered or dead, so I'm not sure the exact quantity of total hospital beds in Dade or other counties, but that data must be somewhere on the internet.

Anyone have a reference to info on that particular data?

In Italy, on lock down for around five weeks now, the number of new cases, by the official data, has plateaued and decreased over the past two weeks, but the downward trajectory so far has been slow and bumpy. Not as good as one would hope.

I expect the lock downs in the US to last at least another six weeks, and even longer than that unless in the meantime massive testing, both antigen and antibody, is well underway; only at that point could some kind of phased lift-off begin.

But these could all be vain hopes, who knows?
Many people who end up in the hospital with coronavirus end up staying 20+ days. It's not unusual for people to be on the ventilator over 14 days. That's why the number counted as "recovered" is so low. This knocks people out for a month or more.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:01 AM

205 posts, read 241,277 times
Is it safer to stay away from South Florida? My wife's mother lives in condo on Galt Ocean Mile in Fort Lauderdale. She feels fine but the family thinks she should stay with extended family up north in Volusia County. News reports say Broward has substantial amounts of infections but it's also a highly populated area. What is the consensus?

Old 04-16-2020, 04:30 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
Is it safer to stay away from South Florida? My wife's mother lives in condo on Galt Ocean Mile in Fort Lauderdale. She feels fine but the family thinks she should stay with extended family up north in Volusia County. News reports say Broward has substantial amounts of infections but it's also a highly populated area. What is the consensus?
You can get bit by the bug anywhere. But less peeps does help.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:31 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Many people who end up in the hospital with coronavirus end up staying 20+ days. It's not unusual for people to be on the ventilator over 14 days. That's why the number counted as "recovered" is so low. This knocks people out for a month or more.
Just getting the bill would make me wanna die. Must cost 1 mil for a 20 day stay.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:21 AM

413 posts, read 209,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just getting the bill would make me wanna die. Must cost 1 mil for a 20 day stay.
Yikes! Really?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:48 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
That would depend upon her ability to attain groceries and meds w/o having to go to stores or not.

If she can get everything delivered, & avoid the elevators completely, and stays out of the common areas, I'd leave here there.

Otherwise, I'd move her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida