U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 08:06 PM

517 posts, read 892,880 times

Advertisements

We have accepted a job transfer to Panama City.

We will be leaving Sioux City Iowa on Saturday May 30 to make a 1 week scouting trip. Unfortunately we will have to leave Panama City Friday morning early in order to be in Des Moines Iowa Saturday morning.

A little about me.

I am nearing end of career. This is a good paying job
and has a company vehicle and no commute. I work from home. As such I will need off street parking for three vehicles. I also have a canoe and a boat trailer. So parking will be an issue.

Also, we grew up in South East Texas and have vacationed to Panama City. So, we kinda know what it looks like and what the problems are. The decision to give up awesome summers and brutal winter was not as easy as some might think, but we simply could not get a good feeling about Sioux City. (Had a job opened in Sioux Falls we would not have moved, it was that close)

We have cash from a house that was sold so a down payment and paying notes is not a problem. We are looking at houses between 180 and 300 k. We are open to Condo’s, Townhouses, Single Family homes, lots, new homes, old homes, homes in need of rehab. We are open to living on Panama City Beach, or up in Lynn Haven.

We may be ready to buy, or we may rent a year. We would like 1200 to 2000 square foot, we feel like a small high rise condo would be a little cramped, but mowing grass in August would be most unpleasant.

Our children are adults and live in the midwest.

So, the question is: What is the best way to spend our time next week?

We need to get housing by mid July.

Cheers
Qazulight
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 08:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 717,034 times
I would be researching communities in the general vicinity online before you leave--even if outside of Panama City.

I've spent time in Seaside, which is very expensive to live in but there may be some communities off the Interstate 10 that meet your budget.

A little time online may save you a lot of time when you hit the ground.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:56 PM

9,151 posts, read 17,793,231 times
This is not the Panama City you used to know. Rebuilding continues to be very slow as the area recovers from Hurricane Michael. Lynn Haven took some really bad damage. Be very careful with the inspection if you're looking at fixers- there could easily be storm damage or water/mold issues that aren't obvious.

Fortunately Michael was a small storm and the Panama City Beach side took only minor damage. I'd look in areas there that could work with your car/boat needs. (Some HOA neighborhoods won't). You're not likely to find anything decent in eastern Walton County for less than $400K right now .

Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,943,015 times
As noted if you haven't been there since the storm, it looks different. Only buy a house that has been completed redone, or didn't have major damage. Parking your vehicles/trailers might be your biggest problem. Some HOA's might allow it. But in your price range most of those won't be in HOA's. Which might not be a good thing. Things seemed to go bad pretty quickly with them. Also don't get excited by pictures on the web, if you see a yard with trees, it might be an old picture.

I'm most familiar with Lynn Haven and the homes that might fit your bill and still be in a decent part of town might be in the North part in the area I always called "the state streets". Alabama, Missouri, etc. Lots of them have RV parking and even RV sheds in the back. There are also some decent places that have been remodeled in College Point. Those have big yards and no HOA. I was looking at my old house the other day, and saw one for sale for about 180K then looked at pictures..totally destroyed, it is a complete tear down. Basically selling the land. That would run you upwards of $500k + to rebuild.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:35 PM

1,848 posts, read 953,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
We have accepted a job transfer to Panama City.

We will be leaving Sioux City Iowa on Saturday May 30 to make a 1 week scouting trip. Unfortunately we will have to leave Panama City Friday morning early in order to be in Des Moines Iowa Saturday morning.

A little about me.

I am nearing end of career. This is a good paying job
and has a company vehicle and no commute. I work from home. As such I will need off street parking for three vehicles. I also have a canoe and a boat trailer. So parking will be an issue.

Also, we grew up in South East Texas and have vacationed to Panama City. So, we kinda know what it looks like and what the problems are. The decision to give up awesome summers and brutal winter was not as easy as some might think, but we simply could not get a good feeling about Sioux City. (Had a job opened in Sioux Falls we would not have moved, it was that close)

We have cash from a house that was sold so a down payment and paying notes is not a problem. We are looking at houses between 180 and 300 k. We are open to Condo’s, Townhouses, Single Family homes, lots, new homes, old homes, homes in need of rehab. We are open to living on Panama City Beach, or up in Lynn Haven.

We may be ready to buy, or we may rent a year. We would like 1200 to 2000 square foot, we feel like a small high rise condo would be a little cramped, but mowing grass in August would be most unpleasant.

Our children are adults and live in the midwest.

So, the question is: What is the best way to spend our time next week?

We need to get housing by mid July.

Cheers
Qazulight
I lived in Callaway part-time for a few years. I was glad I left in 2017. In 2018 the big one hit which changed the landscape. Many roofs were torn off, and the area was just crushed. Local Floridians know the area inland is generally safer even if just by a few miles. Perhaps a place on the northern side near Lynn Haven? There is a route 20 that stretches west from Tallahassee to the Gulf. It connects to 231 which goes SE/NE into Alabama and Georgia. I drove that route many times. There are clusters of homes along Vicksburg, Southport, etc. There are also smaller communities scattered along that 231 north towards Youngstown. The area closer to the ocean seems high risk to me. I always thought Callaway seemed really exposed - kind of flat and easily flooded. It was hit very hard.

I know many people in the area who love it though. I can't imagine them being happy any place else - they are deeply rooted with generations of families. A lot of them went to FSU or a nearby SEC school such as Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, etc. Needless to say, southern football and NASCAR are very popular. As for outdoor activities, the fishing, boating, beach lifestyle, are in vogue. The area also has many veterans. Most of the Floridians there are conservative or semi-conservative. The voting pattern in Florida was such that in a tightly contested race, the votes from the Southern and Central FL regions would come in first and put the liberal Democrat far ahead. But the general FL Panhandle is about an hour behind with CST (it switches on a bridge on route 20 before you get to 231 from Tallahassee). Then the panhandle votes late at night would give the win to the conservative Republican. That pattern happened many times - lol.

I can see why people nearing the end of a career would want to move there to retire. It's very common. For me, I am better off in the southwest and am glad I returned to AZ.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:49 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,943,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I lived in Callaway part-time for a few years. I was glad I left in 2017. In 2018 the big one hit which changed the landscape. Many roofs were torn off, and the area was just crushed. Local Floridians know the area inland is generally safer even if just by a few miles. Perhaps a place on the northern side near Lynn Haven? There is a route 20 that stretches west from Tallahassee to the Gulf. It connects to 231 which goes SE/NE into Alabama and Georgia. I drove that route many times. There are clusters of homes along Vicksburg, Southport, etc. There are also smaller communities scattered along that 231 north towards Youngstown. The area closer to the ocean seems high risk to me. I always thought Callaway seemed really exposed - kind of flat and easily flooded. It was hit very hard.
Normally the coastline would be the big issue. This time Michael took that exact path up north, took trees down all the way past I-10. It was narrow, fast and super destructive for miles.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:29 PM

517 posts, read 892,880 times
Thanks for all the replies.

We spent a long week at Lake Towne Wharf. That place is not in good condition and has obvious issues inside the HOA.

We looked everywhere from South Port to Callaway on the Panama City side of the bay. We looked from Inlet Beach to Shores of St. Andrews bay. We liked a house in South Port, but it was in a Special Flood zone, 7 feet above sea level. We liked one in the Cove, but insurance would have run 5 or 6 thousand a year.

We liked a condo near Inlet beach and it made the short list, but we ended up in Hibiscus Bay. It wasn’t everything we wanted but it didn’t have most of what we didn’t want. We got it sub 300k but we will have 300k in it by the time we update it. (Built 2005 and has been a rental unit)

We like that we are on the 5th floor of a newer concrete building and we have a view and I can buy a boat dock relatively inexpensively. (There are some, just a hole in the water really, that can be had for 10k. The HOA fees are reasonable and the facilities are in very good condition.

Everybody has different priorities. Now if Panama City just had a Makerspace.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 07-09-2020, 07:51 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,941,996 times
Quote:

We spent a long week at Lake Towne Wharf. That place is not in good condition and has obvious issues inside the HOA.

Cheers
Qazulight
Lake Town Wharf is probably the least disirable complex on Panama City Beach. When almost completed the developer went bankrupt leaving the banks holding the bag. After several owners the complex was finally finished but due to the huge size, the fact it was located across the street from the beach with no dedicated beach access, units sold very slow. The majority owner still holds title to hundreds of units controlling the HOA. After going through a couple of different management companies they decided to rent long term through Section Eight.
To put it mildly, the place is a mess and due to its size and location, not sure if it ever will become a desirable property.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,941,996 times
Quote:

Lake Town Wharf yesterday:

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/pan...ooting-in-pcb/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida