U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 16,333 times

Advertisements

Compelled,

Where is West Pines? Are you refering to "West" Pembroke Pines?

Nrikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,734,421 times
Yes, west of I-75. I also give this warning to every single person I recommend it to- that area is only about 20% white, 20-30% black, 30-40% Hispanic and 10-15% Asian so if you want to be around people that look like yourself (regardless of where you are from) don't move there for that. That doesn't mean it's a bad area, but get used to being around a lot of blacks, people from various Spanish speaking countries and a lot of Asians as well as regular ol' white people living amongst each other and getting along too. It looks like a typical homogeneous suburban area and socioeconomically it is, but demographically it is not. The odd thing about Pembroke Pines is that the parts that aren't as nice have more white residents lol.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-28-2008 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,843,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrikki View Post
Hi y'all,

I am currently evaluating a job offer that involves working in Miami. I have some flexibility in where to live since I will do about 75% traveling. I am married with two children in school. One in HS. The most important thing for us is a good private school for them. I would not mind comuting one hour to work as long as they are OK. Where to move to?

Thanks

nrikki
Just some free advice, come here for a week and stay in a hotel 1 hour away from the location of the job in Miami and simulate driving to and from work at the actual time you would be doing it, figure in all family activities in the morning and dropping the kids off at school and etc. I have a few coworkers who just moved here from elsewhere who talk about commuting and don't realize the mistake they are making and what gas will cost them per week. 1 hour isn't too bad, but going into Miami from the north can be interesting to say the least.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 AM

Exactly THX. I could never handle that kind of commute every single day. The distance is part of it (and the time can peak up to an hour and a half), but the overall stress is the worst of it. I'm trying to steer them south if at all possible. If they work in Doral or Sweetwater the traffic wouldn't be so bad.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM

THX and compelled ,

I thank you for your responses. The truth is that my limitation would be salary. I would be making 175k plus bonuses. With the cost of housing in that area I see it difficult. It looks like the further north I go the cheaper it gets.

nrikki

Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM

175k isn't much of a limitation ! Try looking into Palmetto Bay and PARTS of east Kendall instead of Coral Gables. You should NO challenge finding a nice house for 500k there. Yes Gables would be harder. It's not that I don't prefer the areas further north (actually in some ways I prefer the areas further south especially if you are going to do private schools) but it's just such an asinine commute even if you aren't doing it every day. I mean, people do it every day but...

Hmm, you could cut a little time and some money if you look into, say, the Emerald Hills and Hollywood Lakes sections of Hollywood, but chiefly those sections. Less bland than Weston or west Pines as well.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 AM

Great. I was actually looking at Hollywood earlier. Where is everyone moving nowadays? Where are the newer areas and development?

Thanks Complelled you have been a godsend

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM

Everybody is moving to North Carolina nowadays (really, the area is trending on population loss) but...

Well the only newer areas in Hollywood are off of Griffin Rd, there are some Palm Beach County style developments there that area that are only 10 or so years old. Emerald/Hollywood Hills is post World War II and Hollywood Lakes is historic! Most of Hollywood was built in the 50s and 60s and large sections of it are pretty worn looking, however the areas I mentioned are established and settled. Basically if it's not Emerald Hills or Hollywood Hills, make sure it's east of US1. I wouldn't live in those newer developments off of Griffin Road, I would head further south closer to Stirling Road.

And if you don't want an older home, stay west of University Dr and you have a selection of decent areas with no real boundaries.

As far as areas that are still growing, Cooper City is still growing and selling. They were building townhomes there and to my amazement even in todays market half of them were sold preconstruction. I hope they plan on living there for a while! That area is known for it's stability and public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida