U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM

20 posts, read 69,778 times
Question Snowbirds with Kids/Pets HOW do you manage??

Are there any snowbirds that have school age children? Do you spend the school year down in Florida and then the summers at your other home? How does this work out for you and the children? Do they mind going back and forth? Does anyone homeschool instead?

Also those that do have two homes (one being in Florida) is it hard to maintain both residences? I mean in the sense of the high taxes in Florida. Can you get homestead if you live there only 9 months out of the year? Or do they require a full 12 months in order to consider the Florida home your primary residence?

We are just trying to get a reality check on if buying a second home and spending 9 months there per year is realistic. I so want to escape the cold winters of Michigan, but I'm nervous about the education down there. If I felt I could homeschool I would, but I'm not sure I'm cut out to do that with one in Jr. High and one in elementary. Heaven knows my math skills alone leave a lot to be desired.

Now the question on pets. We have several dogs. Are there any counties/neighborhoods in Florida that have ordinances that only allow a maximum number of dogs you can have? We are show breeders of small dogs. Our dogs of course would make the move with us and come back to Mi for summers. Since we have several (5-6) we would drive since it wouldn't be possible to fly with that many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 01:05 PM

6,312 posts, read 12,193,848 times
I can't speak for other counties. But here in Miami-Dade County its a 4 dog max per single family home.

As far as living here during the school year and up north in the winter. Would I suggest it, no. But to each is own. If you want to purchase a place in Florida and use it as a vacation place for now, and when the kids leave the nest, you could then use it like real snowbirds (Late Dec - April).

You can get Homestead excemption on a Florida home if you are a legal resident of Florida for one year. Which means you will need to change over all your docs, like voters registration, drivers license, etc. to claim your homestead exemption here in Florida. This however will probably affect your taxes in Michigan, you probably will not be able to claim Homestead Excemption there (if they have it there????) in Michigan then.

As far as high taxes, that isn't the worst part, many parts of florida have high Homeowners Insurance. After the 2005 Hurricane Season, many people have been dropped from their insurance companies even if they never filed a claim, or they have watched the HOI double if not tripple in the last few years. For example we pay $5,600 (which has come down from the $6,000 we paid last year) for small 3/2 1800 sq. ft. home 8 miles inland. So don't forget about that...

Old 04-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Is it safe to assume that the farther inland you live the better the chances of getting insurance and would the prices be lower for an inland home? Or is it high regardless?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,284,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kela View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Is it safe to assume that the farther inland you live the better the chances of getting insurance and would the prices be lower for an inland home? Or is it high regardless?
no it's high wherever you go in the state but of course higher on the coastlines. I live inland and my premium jumped $1000 in one year. That was after our insurance cancelled us for being at risk after 7 years and not having any claims.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM

9,798 posts, read 10,227,781 times
We also live inland and our insurance doubled the year after the hurricanes despite having NO claims from any of the storms.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:25 PM

When insurance companies drop you, are you able to go with another insurance company or do people just go without insurance? Doesn't the state require that you have homeowners there?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:30 PM

206 posts, read 666,534 times
In Brevard County the dog limit is 4. But I think you can apply for a kennel type license to have more especially since you are breeding show dogs. Personally... I have 5 dogs. Two of them are miniature dachsunds and less than 7 lbs. We have one dog licensed at another address in the county.

Doesn't matter anyway, as we are moving to KY. If you are interested in living in Palm Bay, let me know

Old 04-30-2008, 05:00 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,284,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kela View Post
When insurance companies drop you, are you able to go with another insurance company or do people just go without insurance? Doesn't the state require that you have homeowners there?
your required to have insurance if you have a mortgage but more and more people who don't have a mortgage are choosing to go without insurance. It's not a requirement unless you have a mortgage on it. If you get dropped and your bank finds out you were dropped (which they will as the insurances are required to inform them) the bank will send you a notice that you need to get proof of new insurance coverage or they will insure the house for you at their ridiculous costs. This is where some people are having problems because a lot of insurance companies are not taking on new policies so you have slim pickings of who will insure you.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:26 PM

382 posts, read 646,465 times
do not doubt your ability to homeschool. there are so many co-ops and opportunities to assist you that didn't exist years ago. i've often though of how homeschooling would be an ideal way to split between a summer and winter home.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Thank you for all the input and info.

VAMomathome,

I'm overwhelmed at the moment of the idea of homeschooling. Mainly because I don't know where to begin. I will likely start this coming year (I hope) with my soon to be 7th grader. But just need to find some resources for curriculum to get started with. I'll have to spend time to do some research.

I too though think that homeschooling would be an ideal situation that would allow us to go back and forth between two homes. Not to mention the other benefits I'm hearing about homeschooling since a number of schools in some areas really aren't the greatest. We actually have really good schools here but not so sure about some areas in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida