U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 12:13 PM

8,419 posts, read 6,733,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
30 years ago they did......this didn't happen yesterday....it's been the problem..the same problem.. for a long time

I guess to make all the snowflakes happy.....it should be called an area that is vastly majority black....that's a ghetto
I thought you were going to steer clear of your blatant racism on this topic but, alas, you couldn't help yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 12:39 PM

14,953 posts, read 5,545,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I thought you were going to steer clear of your blatant racism on this topic but, alas, you couldn't help yourself.

I guess when you have nothing else.....accuse someone of racism..and run.....what have I said that's racist?

It's a black neighborhood...that's a ghetto

..what would you call it?.....a lavender ghetto?....mauve?

If it was a white ghetto....you'd have no problem calling it that at all

It is what it is.....

Old 09-12-2020, 07:54 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,823,577 times
Regardless if the surrounding area is a "ghetto" or not, that is not the reason why downtown Jacksonville looks the way it does.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:34 AM

9,587 posts, read 6,812,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
30 years ago they did......this didn't happen yesterday....it's been the problem..the same problem.. for a long time

I guess to make all the snowflakes happy.....it should be called an area that is vastly majority black....that's a ghetto
Could you possibly be more divisive? You already claimed to not know the place, but now you are labeling any predominantly black neighborhood as ghetto. That is beyond ridiculous, and about as racist as you can be.

Although I don't live in Jaksonville, I do live in a place with gorgeous predominantly black neighborhoods that you could probably never afford. Educate yourself a little before spewing such ignorance.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:07 AM

14,953 posts, read 5,545,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Could you possibly be more divisive? You already claimed to not know the place, but now you are labeling any predominantly black neighborhood as ghetto. That is beyond ridiculous, and about as racist as you can be.

Although I don't live in Jaksonville, I do live in a place with gorgeous predominantly black neighborhoods that you could probably never afford. Educate yourself a little before spewing such ignorance.
...and you don't live in a ghetto either, right?....would you be happier if people called it an upscale Jewish neighborhood

Don't call the problem what it is....sweep it under the rug.....and then **** and moan because no one ever fixes it

crime statistics says it's the most dangerous area in all of Jacksonville.... Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

...and that it's predominately a black area
https://bestneighborhood.org/race-in-jacksonville-fl/

Quote:
For one: the increase in Jacksonville’s homicides is entirely driven by male victims. The number of female victims actually decreased from 2018. In 2019, 132 men died from homicides in Jacksonville, compared to 99 in 2018.

While Jacksonville’s overall homicide rate is higher than elsewhere in Florida, the homicide rate among black men is even higher. One in 6,151 Jaxsons were killed in 2019 compared to one in 1,386 black men.

Out of the 158 homicide victims last year, 100 of them, or 63 percent, were black men. Black men make up just 14 percent of Jacksonville’s population.

In 32209, 95.5 percent of residents are African-American, and for decades, the Zip code has also had the most homicide victims in Jacksonville. In 2019 alone, there were 27 homicides in 32209, accounting for 17 percent of all homicides, despite making up just 4 percent of Jacksonville residents.
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...4-95be93dddb91

Last edited by Yac; 09-16-2020 at 01:50 AM..

Old 09-13-2020, 09:06 AM

4,354 posts, read 5,359,734 times
I am aware of the social problems Jacksonville has but so many other cities have the same and have revitalized their urban core successfully. Let’s not blame all ours on that.

Lots of great posts here that all agree on three things.

1. The need to bring business and employees downtown.
2. If you can’t bring business downtown, fill the waterfront with condos whose owners will need to shop and eat downtown.
3. With all our current modern entertainment venues use seed money to start an entertainment zone for before and after events (post Covid). This will help tremendously for events but we will still have the problem of how these businesses survive when none of the venues have events. Which takes us back to the need of populating the urban core.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:22 AM

72 posts, read 35,377 times
How are the "suburbs" of Jax? I read good things about St. Johns County and Jacksonville Beach. Do they have the same problems with crime and homeless?

Old 09-13-2020, 10:23 AM

72 posts, read 35,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exceptions don't invalidate a rule.
There's nothing racist about recognizing predominently black areas tend to be "ghetto" (low income and/or high crime). Unless you think statistics and facts are racist...

Old 09-13-2020, 10:26 AM

15,334 posts, read 12,664,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_marlowe View Post
How are the "suburbs" of Jax? I read good things about St. Johns County and Jacksonville Beach. Do they have the same problems with crime and homeless?
The suburbs are typically beautiful. Some rough patches here and there, but for the most part, I've been impressed.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:07 AM

4,354 posts, read 5,359,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_marlowe View Post
As mentioned the beaches, Saint Johns County and Nassau County are exploding with developments. I know here in Nassau County over 50% commute to Jacksonville for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida