U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,975,871 times

Advertisements

I've been doing research on areas of Fla. for over a year now. I read a lot of the want ads in the online papers. In the smaller towns like Inverness, Silver Spring Shores, Dunnellon, etc. there are very few service jobs ever posted. A lot of the newspapers transfer a job seeker to another site like Career Builders. So, I've been looking at places like St. Petersburg, Tallahassee, etc~larger areas. There is still only a handful of service jobs listed in those newspapers. Is there another site that a lot of the Fla. cities post their jobs on?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:35 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,693,965 times
Career Builder is the largest in South Florida. You are better to search the larger papers in whatever city you are interested in; each area is VERY different.

sunny.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Hi Sunny and thank you for the reply. I am searching in the bigger cities want ads every few days. A lot of the sites take you to career builder, but there really aren't that many service jobs listed. There are often a lot of pages of jobs, but they're repitious and even if you check the box for full time employment, they list a lot of part time jobs, too. Do a lot of places just hang signs in their window or what do they do? I'm talking about grocery stores, cafes, convenience stores, motels, etc. So many people here have said there are a lot of service jobs in Fla., but I just can't seem to find a lot of them.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:18 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,173,674 times
I'm thinking that they don't even bother to advertise them. Why pay the extra money for jobs that don't pay much?

It's not like they are recruiting lawyers, now is it?

Do know that there are plenty of service jobs almost everywhere, but in Florida they are abundant. If you want that kind of job you will be able to get it.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:23 PM

Hiknapster, thank you, I think. So is your suggestion that I would just need to go into places when I'm down there and apply for a job?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:33 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,693,965 times
Jammie- if you are looking for a job in a cafe or even smaller call center, they may not advertise. If you are interested in grocery stores, Publix.com. Publix is one of the biggest down there. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Yeah, Jammie. You will not have to worry, is what I am trying to say!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:42 PM

598 posts, read 2,030,649 times
Jammie - alot of places I've worked in those service industries never put ads in the paper because there are so many people around looking for work. They get apps in all the time and if they really want a bigger pool to choose from they just put up a sign. There's always a pool of eager workers looking to change their current positions. The owner of one place (a hotel) would just drive through the poor parts of town and ask people on the street if they wanted to work. He always found someone. If they did good, he kept them on. Other places hired by employee referrals first. Newspaper ads are expensive and not really necessary for alot of those service jobs.

The job I presently have came to me through WorkNetPinellas.org. Check out this link. It has a large database of current jobs along with the payrate.

https://osmis.state.fl.us/Osmis/Login?action=FindAJob&currentpageid=menu&userid=se lf&password=self&requestLanguage=English (broken link)

Oh and here's another one:

http://www.employflorida.com/saintro...sion=jobsearch

Last edited by summergal; 12-27-2006 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 PM

598 posts, read 2,030,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Publix is one of the biggest down there.
Publix is awesome to work for as is Walmart. Both have great advancement opps. Publix is very well known as a great employer that treats their people well.

Also there is a HUGE call center here in Clearwater that pays pretty well, complete training and even has part time work from home positions, if you're into that kinda thing.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:02 PM

Well, I don't want to be antagonistic, but Publix and WalMart are terrible to work for; I've worked for both. Both do not pay well and have terrible benefits. Both cut hours on a whim and did not notify their workers ahead of time. Both have had serious issues regarding promoting women.

While we are on the subject, working in any service job in Florida will not put a roof over your head.

If you do service work, I think your best bet would be waitressing, but stay away from areas that are heavily populated by retireees. They do not tip well.

Call centers pay better but do not have benefits, either. Not to speak of. They are third party contractors, as far as I know.

Once again, working in a service job in Florida will not support the cost of living.

Perhaps if your partner is a lawyer, service jobs are an option.

I think this is something we need to bring up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or