U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM

23 posts, read 68,561 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm 27/male still stuck at my parents house after 2 months that was only supposed to be 2 weeks.... I lived in Austin for a little while (1 year) while working for Dell Computers. Great place, but want to experience life elsewhere. Currently living in Arkansas back at my parents house. I'm now thinking of moving down to Destin, FL and finding employment when I get there, as applying to places online has been a failure....

So my question is, has anyone moved to Destin, FL or thought about it? Think it would be a wise decision or would I get bored. I do love the beach, but would it get old? Should I just go to Chicago or LA or somewhere there would be more job opportunities. I'm over the whole party seen. I would appreciate any opinons. THANKS in advance ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 03:06 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusneroni View Post
Hi,

I'm 27/male still stuck at my parents house after 2 months that was only supposed to be 2 weeks.... I lived in Austin for a little while (1 year) while working for Dell Computers. Great place, but want to experience life elsewhere. Currently living in Arkansas back at my parents house. I'm now thinking of moving down to Destin, FL and finding employment when I get there, as applying to places online has been a failure....

So my question is, has anyone moved to Destin, FL or thought about it? Think it would be a wise decision or would I get bored. I do love the beach, but would it get old? Should I just go to Chicago or LA or somewhere there would be more job opportunities. I'm over the whole party seen. I would appreciate any opinons. THANKS in advance ;-)

What is your experience with computers?

Education?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 PM

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Communication with an emphasis in Interpersonal Communication. As far as computers, I know Microsoft Office 98-2007, very good typing skills, Internet (of course), and a little dreamweaver (web design). I was a sales rep for Dell. ;-)

Last edited by augustusneroni; 05-01-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,230,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusneroni View Post
I have a Bachelor's Degree in Communication with an emphasis in Interpersonal Communication. As far as computers, I know Microsoft Office 98-2007, very good typing skills, Internet (of course), and a little dreamweaver (web design). I was a sales rep for Dell. ;-)
Sounds like marketing and sales is your strong area. Have you contacted the resorts and provide a resume?. Also might want to contact the Okaloosa Conference Center maybe they can help. Other options will be to contact the local manpower offices and post your resume, they might have more intel on this field...

Old 05-20-2008, 10:58 AM

258 posts, read 1,409,347 times
I used to live and went to school in Pensacola, an hour or so away from Destin. Don't get me wrong Destin is a really nice place in the summer. Theres tons and tons of families that go there to vacation. But its a very small place and I don't think you could find employment there unless you wanted to work at a restaurant or resort. I loved Pensacola, its a medium to small sized town, very laid back. But I couldn't stay there because of lack of jobs. If you're are set on the coast, I'm telling you San Diego or parts of LA (Manhattan, Venice, Santa Monica). If you want some more info on Florida let me know

Old 05-25-2008, 03:13 PM

yes, california???, I agree. i went down there to check it out, and while it was beautiful, i couldn't find any "real" jobs. i'm looking into dallas, chicago, or denver now... (i know, total opposites)

Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 PM

258 posts, read 1,409,347 times
I' leaving in the next 2 weeks to go to either Pensacola or Phoenix with a brief stay in Dallas. One of my best friends lives in Pensacola so I can stay with him. I just hope I can find work if I move back there. If I go to Phoenix it will only be a brief stay until I get something set up in San Diego. I know you said you were into outdoors, obviously being from Arkansas. You aren't going to find anything like that in Dallas or Chicago.

You ever float the Buffalo River? I have been wanting to do it for some time but don't know if I'll get a chance this summer.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 21,061 times
honestly man I grew up here, and by bad luck ended up back here for almost 2 years now. Im 23 and I think you will get bored. The beach wears off after awhile..

destin gets pretty dead in the winter..

If you like to smoke pot, play video games, and fish Destin would be heaven for you.

Don't get me wrong its a great place to raise a family, you can live on the beach pretty cheap, summers can be fun too when the tourists come to town, crime very low.

the bars / clubs are mediocre at best.

yes its tough to find jobs here as well.

Its small town lifestyle, and if you like it quiet youll love it here

Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 AM

130 posts, read 550,605 times
the only employers I can think of right off the top of my head that would match your skillset on the commercial side would be Mediacom: Mediacom (s.e. regional headquarters is in Gulf Breeze, about 45 mins from Destin), AppRiver: http://www.appriver.com/ in Gulf Breeze, fast growing privately held network security & secure hosted MS Exchange company focused on anti-spam/anti-phishing etc @ the ISP level utilizing primarily the ASP model but they do client side as well), Virticle (Web services) Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, Columbus, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Web Design, Content Management, Website Design and Development, Hosting, Marketing, Ecommerce - Virticle Desgin Group , Cox HSI (high speed internet) w. offices in FWB, GridSouth (grid hosting) GridSouth Networks - VMware Hosting Services Using the VMware ESX Infrastructure, Grid Networking, Dedicated Windows Hosting, Colocation, Windows Shared Hosting . On the hardware side, Cisco's got a satellite office in Destin. Wavenet Technologies: WaveNet Technologies - Home seems to have some good things cooking w. server virtualization (in FWB) and Hixardt Technologies: Hixardt Technologies Inc. | Pensacola Information Technology Solutions & Managed Services seems to be kicking butt as well.
Now, if you want to get above the typical pay grade of tech jobs around here $28-38k, THEN you'll have to step it up, get sponsored for a security clearance, and work defense.
$40k and up. Helpdesk, .html copy 'n paster, etc. etc. Defense pays VERY well here. It's the sweet spot of "low cost of living + large metro area level salary" = "twenty somethings purchasing $200k houses w. 2 cars and having babies" live.. At the network administrator, engineer or systems administrator level in defense, $60-$80k (including the benes) is not unheard of. ;-) Considering the median income for the genpop is in the twenties, life is good @ that level. All major defense contractors are represented here, General Dynamics, L3 Communications, BAE Systems, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Smartronics, Tybrin, etc. etc. Someone w. sales skills would be useful to those companies. Hopefully you've got more than just a year w. Dell to impress them with though!
Good luck brother!
sb

Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 AM

286 posts, read 1,108,262 times
Have you thought about Jacksonville, FL? We have the beaches and the growing economy! It's a great place to live, and the cost of living is pretty low, too.

If you're looking for a big city, have you thought about Washington, DC? The opp. to make $$ is endless there. It's a great place...

I lived in Ft.Walton / Destin for over 20 years and wouldn't recommend moving there. It's a beautiful place, but unless you're in the military or are a defense contractor, it's not the best place to grow personally or professionally. It's nice for a vacation, but unfortunately, that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida