Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 08:31 AM

13,610 posts, read 7,900,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalescentMoon View Post
...hot AZ summers...
While Florida doesn't hit triple digit temperatures as often as Arizona does, Florida heat can be even more uncomfortable and oppressive than Arizona heat due to the humidity factor. The moisture does make everything lush and green though - which I personally prefer over barren rocks and dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 02:27 PM

27,153 posts, read 43,824,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
To avoid hurricanes don't live in Florida. However. if you do .. Middle Central/North Florida is the least likely to have category 3 > hurricanes. The Kissimmee Basin from Okeechobee north and north of the I-75 corridor above Wildwood to the Georgia border.
Or around the area of SE Georgia north of Jacksonville around St Mary's/Brunswick on up to Savannah which is very rarely impacted by hurricanes. Unlike coastal SC and NC which have become as frequented as much of FL.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,778,131 times
Quote:
Change of scenery, hot AZ summers, ten years here, I'm tired of it. I know a couple of people that live in Fl, one in Orlando another in Ave Maria, and both like FL. I just hear stories about the high cost of insurance because of storms. Also big bugs, alligators, etc. That's why I'm looking for some real world info on living in Florida.
I have family who live in FL.

Hurricanes where the house is, is in Volusia County, are a non issue as the last hurricane was about 16 years ago and some roofs were damaged.

Driving and parking on the beach is nice and the ocean air mitigates humidity. I have been on it and I do not like humidity.

No one has seen an alligator in the area, even when looking for one, and they do not go after humans except a small child if near a pond and alone. Bugs are minimal, So Fl is worse.

Insurance is no big deal unless you live in a flood zone, which my family member does not.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:31 PM

648 posts, read 430,843 times
Quote:
Change of scenery, hot AZ summers, ten years here, I'm tired of it. I know a couple of people that live in Fl, one in Orlando another in Ave Maria, and both like FL. I just hear stories about the high cost of insurance because of storms. Also big bugs, alligators, etc. That's why I'm looking for some real world info on living in Florida.
Going from mostly dry heat to mostly wet heat. Definitely need refrigeration in FL.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:56 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,137,846 times
It's humid and wet in Florida. People extoll the great winter weather? Today it's 63 degrees (nice, cool) with 87% humidity (wet, clammy).

Generally no basements, and storage in garage is difficult due to the humidity. Well, you can imagine what cardboard storage boxes look like in the heat and humidity.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:13 AM

14,928 posts, read 9,778,293 times
Florida is like a pair of shoes... you should try it on before you buy. With that said, I'm originally from New Mexico and have been in Florida for 40+ years. Here's a few observations

Summers are tough on OLDER transplants, especially if you carry extra weight
You have to be tolerant of torrential rain, standing water and bugs
Florida is best for active people
Expect hurricanes every year and be prepared
Florida is three states in one and is EXTREMELY diverse
Must learn to love the water

I truly love Florida.

**PS ... carboard boxes draw bugs

Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,090,109 times
Hurricanes hit everywhere in the state and all over the east coast.

How old are you? Are you moving with family? Single? Hobbies? Health? What is your income?

Most importantly do you have a job?

People that move to Florida from locations that pay skilled and unskilled labor decently can't make ends meet here.

A couple of years ago a couple that moved here from Pennsylvania were complaining that the husband made $40 an hour laying carpet in PA couldn't find anything in Sarasota that paid more than $8.50 an hour. The wife was a CNA and couldn't find anything that paid more than minimum wage.

Move here with a job or at least have marketable skills.

Anything in healthcare or tourism.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:25 PM

17,074 posts, read 15,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hurricanes hit everywhere in the state and all over the east coast.

How old are you? Are you moving with family? Single? Hobbies? Health? What is your income?

Most importantly do you have a job?

People that move to Florida from locations that pay skilled and unskilled labor decently can't make ends meet here.

A couple of years ago a couple that moved here from Pennsylvania were complaining that the husband made $40 an hour laying carpet in PA couldn't find anything in Sarasota that paid more than $8.50 an hour. The wife was a CNA and couldn't find anything that paid more than minimum wage.

Move here with a job or at least have marketable skills.

Anything in healthcare or tourism.
CNA's a paid poorly everywhere though. In NYC, they make anywhere from $10-$18/hr. Looks like the average there is ~$14/hr.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salarie...w-York-City,NY

That said, I always think of CNA being an entry to the nursing world, and that ambitious CNAs should seek to continue their nursing education to one day become RNs (skip the LPN phase.) Otherwise, it's a strange career choice.

True that here it's more like $10-$12/hr, but it's still terrible pretty much anywhere.

Now the carpet layer getting offered minimum wage is baffling... As I know a few who make over $50k/year, in Central Florida.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:58 AM

78 posts, read 75,327 times
People want badly to live here in FL are living in a make believe world most times - they actually think is a vacation everyday and paradise,lol which show great ignorance! it's paradise compared to say, Greenwood MS or Terre Haute, but...the place is getting stupid over the last5-7 years for sure!
Do your research and don't just look at FL, you'll be limiting your opportunities.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:01 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,138,680 times
Ormond-by-the-sea (zip 32176) is a great area to live in. Statistically we are in an area with few hurricanes although we were hit by hurricane Matthew and lots of folks in my area (us included) had half our roofs striped of shingles. We responded by getting an aluminum roof and later impact resistant (hurricane) windows and doors. Our elevation is 13 feet and we do not need flood insurance because we are not a local low point. Wind insurance is usually part of your home owners policy. Florida is aggressive in wind resistant building codes. I believe our wind code in my area is 135mph. 30 miles inland they may only need to build for 105 mph winds.

I generally suggest looking at living very near the Atlantic Ocean so you can get cooling breezes. Our humidity can be very high and we can get almost daily thunderstorms during the summer. Without an Atlantic breeze you may feel muggy for months. But if you live in Phoenix you may be used to humid summer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida