U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,876,898 times

Advertisements

Not that I am Charlie's biggest fan or anything, but I don't think it was him that voted for the tax cuts that are crippling the State and local governments.

As for Rubio...you have no idea. It's even worse than you think.

My point is again, that this has nothing to do with a) North Florida or the people that live here and B) nothing to do with Tallahassee.

Which leads me back to my original point. If people in South Florida don't like the way their own legislature, elected statewide, is doing things, then how does that get blamed on the people living in North Florida?

It's mindless prejudice aka "those rednecks in Tallahassee." Never mind that Tallahassee isn't redneck, and has a per capita college graduate rate of twice the national average and more than twice the Florida average...

IOW, it's not us. The blame lies in the crappy people sent TO Tallahassee from South Florida, and the rampant local government corruption down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM

150 posts, read 413,250 times
I think Florida should stay just the way it is. No need to turn South Florida into a separate state, IMO. Seems like a ridiculous idea.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM

Just really...the idea that the relatively sparsely populated north, that has its OWN fresh water and is mostly rural somehow eats up more resources than overpopulated, urban South Florida is ridiculous on its face.

I am not sure how anyone could believe this.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,761,181 times
The tax payers voted for this tax cut. The people spoke. The real problem is that government overspent, well the people spoke and said you must cut back. And that is what is happening. If they wouldn't of over spent we wouldn't be here.

I think the issues isn't the people of North Florida I agree, what it is, is these smaller North Florida towns don't bring in enough revenue to sustain themselves overall. And so the larger counties like Miami-Dade have to subsidize these smaller counties. It really isn't fair. The money that comes from Miami-Dade should stay in Miami-Dade not be sent up to Leon county for instance. Money needs to stay here to fund our things. And those North Florida Counties need to raise their own property taxes to support they county. (We all know that your taxes up there are really low, you guys pay far less in insurance on your homes and on your cars than we do here in South Florida) North Florida needs to pull their weight. So the blame does lay with the legislature who needs to rework the money flow. I remember when the news reported money collected on toll roads in Miami were being used to widen Tharp St. I just found that so wrong, the toll money collected in Miami should be used for the roads in Miami not Tally. Sorry.

As far as the redneck thing, very true, Tallahassee it self isn't redneckie but outside Tallahassee it kinda does start to be....Don't feel bad because of Florida is "Southern" Once you leave Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Not that I am Charlie's biggest fan or anything, but I don't think it was him that voted for the tax cuts that are crippling the State and local governments.

My point is again, that this has nothing to do with a) North Florida or the people that live here and B) nothing to do with Tallahassee.

Which leads me back to my original point. If people in South Florida don't like the way their own legislature, elected statewide, is doing things, then how does that get blamed on the people living in North Florida?

It's mindless prejudice aka "those rednecks in Tallahassee." Never mind that Tallahassee isn't redneck, and has a per capita college graduate rate of twice the national average and more than twice the Florida average...

IOW, it's not us. The blame lies in the crappy people sent TO Tallahassee from South Florida, and the rampant local government corruption down there.

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-31-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The tax payers voted for this tax cut. The people spoke. The real problem is that government overspent, well the people spoke and said you must cut back.
True enough, but I saw with my own eyes what effect the cuts had on the politics of the Legislature. Compromise became impossible and all sorts of nonsense went on instead of decent lawmaking.

Funny how the same people who voted for the cut are going to be the same ones that complain when it takes 45 minutes to get an ambulance to their house. And the foreclosures crossing my desk continue to climb, week by week...

Quote:
I think the issues isn't the people of North Florida I agree, what it is, these smaller North Florida towns don't bring in enough revenue to sustain themselves overall. And so the larger counties like Miami-Dade have to subsidize these smaller counties. It really isn't fair. The money that comes from Miami-Dade should stay in Miami-Dade not be sent up to Leon county. It needs to stay here. And those North Florida Counties need to raise their own property taxes to support they county. (We all know that your taxes up there are really low, you guys pay far less in insurance on your homes and on your cars than we do here in South Florida) North Florida needs to pull their weight. So the blame does lay with the legislature who needs to rework the money flow.
I can only speak with authority to the issue of housing money. On that front, what you say is absolutely not true. Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach gobble up far more than their per capita share. In fact, it was a major conflict in the lobbying this year as the Orlando people are getting fed up with Miami-Dade's avarice, corruption and mismanagement...and STILL getting the money to squander.

And that's how this North Floridian sees it. We require less up here, and are more efficient in the way we use our resources because we don't have the local government corruption problems that are rampant in South Florida.

If South Florida "seceded" tomorrow, North Florida would survive. Where is is South Florida going to get its water? And it ain't gonna be free...

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Funny how the same people who voted for the cut are going to be the same ones that complain when it takes 45 minutes to get an ambulance to their house.
Our Firehouses are not getting cut surprisingly, thank goodness.

Quote:
Where is is South Florida going to get its water? And it ain't gonna be free...
It will come from the lake. Palm Beach County owns (owns is the wrong word, but you know what I mean) part of the lake.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:

It will come from the lake. Palm Beach County owns (owns is the wrong word, but you know what I mean) part of the lake.

Yeah....what's left of it.

Anyway, it is good the firehouses aren't getting cut...but too bad that the firemen can't afford to live in the same county they work in.

How does a paramedic pay the rent in Monroe County?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,783,477 times
Quote:

First...Charlie was the biggest proponent of the tax cuts. If it wasn't for his inane propaganda that the tax cut would be the best thing EVER for FL, it likely would not have passed.

Second..when I say "I hate Tallahassee"...I'm not talking about the people who are from/live there, I am talking about the government...in the same way when people talk about Washington, they aren't exactly talking about the people who live there, but are in government.

But I would also like to point out that there is corruption in all parts of the state. Escambia County, for example, hasn't exactly been the bastion of a benevolent government.

Florida being split into 3 or 4 states would be excellent as it would give everyone a chance to find the corruption and root it out (probably easiest for "WF" and the Keys, harder for "EF" and "SF") that is harder to do in a state as large and diverse as FL. It would also break up Citizens...which, don't get me started on that.

Quote:

Ha...you might want to talk to "EF" about that...They would own most of the lake and I doubt they'd be too happy about "SF" draining their lake.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Where is is South Florida going to get its water? And it ain't gonna be free...
I learned something today. Miami-Dade Counties water doesn't come from the lake technically. It comes from the Biscayne aquifer, the lake is a back up basically.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
First...Charlie was the biggest proponent of the tax cuts. If it wasn't for his inane propaganda that the tax cut would be the best thing EVER for FL, it likely would not have passed.
True enough - I just think it went a bit too deep. Not so sound anti-democratic, but sometimes the majority has its collective head up its butt.

Quote:
Second..when I say "I hate Tallahassee"...I'm not talking about the people who are from/live there, I am talking about the government...in the same way when people talk about Washington, they aren't exactly talking about the people who live there, but are in government.
I am glad to hear it, but I get the idea that some around here don't think this way.

Quote:
But I would also like to point out that there is corruption in all parts of the state. Escambia County, for example, hasn't exactly been the bastion of a benevolent government.
That is true, but Escambia is not really typical of how things work in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or