U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

Me and my husband are thinking of relocating to Palm Coast from Virginia within the next few months, but I need some information. we want to know how the job market is there. I am a paralegal and he has a CDL and also some warehouse skills. The homes seem reasonable and affordable as far as renting is concerned, from what I have seen online. How are the schools, we have a 13 year old and a ten year old, I am mainly concerned about the job market, I want to be able to move there and find a job ASAP, so that we can get established. I look forward to getting input from anybody that has the time. Thank you.

LWPorter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,982,805 times
Palm Coast is a great place to raise kids. My highschooler has been here since he started school and I cannot say enough good about the schools and activities available to the kids. You do need to know that you will need to drive them to activities- Palm Coast is very spread out and not walkable.

Jobs.....for a paralegal job you might need to drive to Daytona or St. Augustine (about 30 miles maybe less depending where in Palm Coast you live)

For CDL, there are some local companies- US Foodservice is about 10 minutes away and pays their drivers well.

If the incomes are essential from the start, I do recommend locking in at least one of your jobs before you move. The pay scale isn't great here as a rule and you need to have a clear picture of what you're in for.

There are some great deals on homes right now.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:09 PM

147 posts, read 501,788 times
payscales are low and unemployment is hig. Don't come without a job. Rents are cheap because there are so many on the market. When the market turns rent won't seem so reasonable.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 PM

200 posts, read 616,497 times
Also do a search PALM COAST on this forum and you will see multiple postings re: Palm Coast that may be of interest. I have lived here since 1990 and still like it a lot. Great people - the wages are low, that is for sure, but it seems that way every where in FL right now. But the winters are fabulous! And with no state income tax you can actually save a bit more (at least we did)

But do a search in the FLORIDA SECTION - post PALM COAST in the search and you will see LOTS OF INFO that may be able to help you out.

Good luck and WELCOME!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM

89 posts, read 338,716 times
My family and I just moved to Palm Coast last month, so far we love it, especially compared to Ohio! It is so true about it being spread out, you have to drive to go anywhere. Where I live, there is nothing in walking distance, the closest gas station is 5 miles. But it is beautiful here. I have a 9 year old and a 13 year old that attends the public schools and so far so good. The teachers are nice and both schools are rated "A". My husband is a Directv installer and he made alot more money back in Ohio. The wages are so much lower here. He has looked around for other work, but there is not much out there and what he does find only pays around $8-$10 an hour. Thats not enough to take care of a family of four. We rent right now, and we only pay $800. Other homes we had looked at were asking $1000-$1200. Be prepared to pay deposits for electric and water ($190 each), they will refund it after 23 months. Good Luck!!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 AM

Hey dawnie - welcome!
So glad to hear you are enjoying it here. We do, too.

I really think the people are extremely friendly. I am a teacher and I have met such nice folks and administrators here. Being from the midwest, too, that seems to be one of the biggest differences and pluses (besides the great winters and gorgeous skies).

You're just starting to get into the "bad season" here but at least the sun is out and that seems to help one's spirits (that is what I found). Bad season being "living in shorts, flip flops and still sweating!"
Get the kids a small portable pool (very reasonable at the stores) or get them to the local pools to play in for the summer, if you don't own a pool. That will help them adjust and have fun.

The snowbirds will be leaving soon (usually by June) and the traffic gets a little better but I think many will be staying here longer, or leaving just for a few weeks versus months, since the price of gas is so unbelievable!

Wait till the Super Target opens up. That will add excitement - more shopping and less driving. Woohoo! Even though you must drive 5 miles to the nearest gas station - realize you don't have to put up with black ice, blowing snow, etc to get there. And 5 miles? Wow - that is actually nothing. I see on the project map that PUBLIX is planning another new center north of town (corner of US1 and Matanzas) so in case you are in that area, hang on. If you are south, well you will have the Town Center for items. Rumors are Best Buy on the corner of 100 and Belle Terre. ....and so on.

So once again, let me welcome you - no I am not part of the WELCOME WAGON but I do know what it is like to move into an area, not knowing "should we or should we not"....but we have no regrets. Love FLORIDA - I think 2/3 of my furnishings are tropical now - from Bealls, Dockside or Pier One!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM

89 posts, read 338,716 times
I also think the people are friendly. I was warned before moving here about the elderly, that they were mean and irritiable. I don't think so. I don't think the traffic is too bad now the way it is. I was worried about that before I moved here. I thought I was going to be stuck in traffic all the time. I haven't had any problems so far.

I can't wait until the Super Target opens. I've been driving down to Walmart and thats quite a distance for me. I live in the "K" section off of Belle Terre close to US 1. I could go to stores in Bunnell, but I like it in Palm Coast better. Although I have been finding myself at the Chicken Pantry alot, such good food!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 PM

Chicken Pantry? I hear it is good - never been there. Thanks for the good tip!

Been hearing that SuperTarget MAY OPEN IN JUNE..not JULY!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,840 times
hi - I am dying to move to PC - from Maine - trying desperatley to get a teaching job_ where do you teach?? any advice?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 AM

Jobs are going to be VERY HARD, whether it is teaching or not. Many stores are laying off (Lowes and HDEPOT, etc) - they are laying off teachers THIS MONTH!! But go here to check for positions if any:
Flagler County Public Schools .....and the exact link for EMPLOYMENT is: Flagler County Public Schools (http://www.flagler.k12.fl.us/departments/hr/389 - broken link)

I know of some teachers who are now out of jobs. The economy is really poor here - so perhaps look at St Johns county (north) or Volusia (south) but I heard this past week that Volusia County is actually CLOSING SCHOOLS!!! If you can, you may want to teach privately (if your subject is as such) Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida