U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 AM

49 posts, read 389,479 times

Advertisements

I would love some input on this from anyone familiar with both. I am especially interested in anyone who has purchased one after looking at both or who has moved from one to the other.

Please provide detail as I would like to visit within the next month or two.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 PM

126 posts, read 310,386 times
I been to Stone Creek and it was really nice going to be something like 4,000 home The pool area is really nice Summer Glen I never been to hope this helps

Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,217 times
Default Been to Both........!!

John........

My wife and I have been to both places......Twice......! We are gonna move to Ocala early next year.....! It was hard ...still is.......to decide. We like the Jacaranda model at Summer Glen....! The neighborhood is smaller there........and I don't think they have as much to offer as Stone Creek.

We like the larget models at Stone Creek.......plus the much greater amenities there. The pricing may be coming down now at Stone Creek....( in the way of lower lot pricing). They have a huge Rec Center....plus loads of stuff to do.

I'd say..........if you are looking for more to do..........pick Stone Creek. We are probably gonna get the largest model in Top of the World.....in the new section Candler Hills. We have friends who live there........and they seem to have as much to offer. I personally like Stone Creek.....but am have some difficulty bring my wife over to that opinion.

We've made two trips already......and plan another in a couple of months.....! We've got some time to finally decide. Good Luck...Hope this helps.

Jay

Old 05-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Thanks Jay,

I haven't visited any of them yet. I am waiting to sell my current home.

Actually I started looking at Ocala based on ads in my local NY paper for On Top of the World. People warned me away from there for various reasons - especially its enormous size and ownership issues.

I then heard of SummerGlen and Stone Creek. Everybody seems to rave about Stone Creek - but the prices for the homes seem to be quite a bit higher than SummerGlen - plus Stone Creek will have 4 times as many homes (4000 to 1000).

I have beeen concentrating on getting answers on both. Stone Creek, while more expensive, also has more standard features and is closer to shopping. Ultimately, price may be the issue for me, however.

I appreciate your input - and wish you luck.

John

Old 05-11-2008, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,217 times
Default Keep Looking.......and do Research...!

John......

Summer Glen........has the best Vaue for the Money....no doubt.......! It's about an extra 15 minutes to get to the shopping area along State Road 200.......the Main commerce area.....but......hey......what's a little more time....when you're retired....!

Thre is a very nice couple from NY State...who wemet.......they let us look thru there Jacaranda model when were there. Ask to meet some folk from NY ..most people are very glad to tell you about the place....and let you look thru their homes.

Check the pricing.......OTOW is doing great things with pricing....and the newer area...Candler Hills......has different rules....! Meet with people who live there....!!! Look at more that the Models....look at the club houses........golf courses.....Spa.....all of it....! It cost a little more that Summer Glen........but has a lot to offer in Amenities....!

Just some more..! Go Online.....and get them to send you the latest sales kit for the homes......for all of these places.....

Good Luck....

Jay

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM

80 posts, read 314,428 times
Default Confused and dazed

We just got back from our grand tour de retirement communities in Florida and I have more questions than when we started.

I picked Top of the World to visit because the clubs were tailor made to my husband's interests - on the upside - we liked the town of Ocala and thought it would be a pleasant place to retire. The people in OTOTW were friendly and appeared to be actually enjoying themselves (or they put happy pills in the water). On the downside, our sales agent was creepier than a used car salesman and we feel that we were mistreated by the sales office that would not accommodate us when all we were trying to do was purchase a home.
Besides being creeped out by sales, I was creeped out by the fact that you lease, rather than own the land, except in Candler Hills. After doing research on real estate values, I felt that Candler Hills was priced out of proportion to the market value.

We should have, but did not have time to visit Stone Creek as we had to run over to Terra Vista for our next stay. Our stay was perfect and the development is exquisite - the only downside was that although it was too upscale/snobby for our tastes and we really felt like we would fit in better at OTOTW.

So - we're looking for a community with real people and friendly people but we want to own our home and the land that it is on. Leasing always makes me think of sharecroppers and The Grapes of Wrath.

I don't mind the occasional senior moment but it's the Steinbeck moment that really scares me.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Thanks to Everyone

First, thanks for all the replies.

I am waiting on a visit until I actually put my house on the market and sell it. I don't want to get my hopes up or own two homes (not enough money).

This means I likely will be buying an already built house. Of the two I mentioned (SC and SG), SG has great prices on these, SC has terrible ones. It looks like all of the SC spec homes were buit on "premium lots" - some adding $80,000 to a price.

Based on my research to date:

OTOW:
- It seems too big for my tastes. It is the largest of the three.
- It was actually the first I researched as they are the only one acvtively advertising here in NY. When I found City-Data, most folks steered me away and to SC and SG.
- I am turned off by the leasing question. Amenities are also owned by them (good? bad?)
- They seem to run the water and cable systems.

SC:
- They are priced higher than SG. Their spec homes cost more than list as they all seem to be on premium lots. (People should watch this on all communities as this can lead to "sticker shock".)
- Everyone says they have the best amenities. They also seem to have the best included features in the home. But you can't drop any of them to get a lower price..
- I was surprised to see a refrigerator is not included.
- They hid a recent price increase by dropping GE Profile as included.
- They are the second biggest of the three. Thus amenities will be shared by more people than SG.
- Amenities are not community owned.

SG:
- They seem to be more off the beaten track (15 min. more to shopping.)
- Some of the homes are very near I75. (But not the newer ones?)
- They have the most reasonable prices. (Especially on pre-built homes.)
- You can add features to get a home like SC. But you don't have to if they are unimportant to you. This may be viewed as more flexible.
- THey are the only one that allows (at a price) changes to structure in the home.
- Everything is community owned.
They are the smallest of the three. (Will this make it feel more like a community?)

When I am ready, I will likely visit SC first (to see how much more they offer) and then visit SG (to check out travel and difference in amenities and features). I will likely skip OTOW (too big, etc.) and TV (too expensive).
Any additional comments (on the above or anything else on the topic) are welcomed.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
We also visited Stone Creek and were impressed by the homes and admenities. We talked to a number of the residents and did hear something that was disturbing - if true. We were told by several residents, they were told (by sales) the community pool was family and children friendly, which it was the case for the frist few months it was open, but soon afterward the childrens hours were restricted to 3 1/2 hours a day split across two timeframes. The change was made against the wishes of the majority of the residents and without their upfront knowledge or vote. We did not ask a sales person about the story but will do so if Stone Creek stays on the short list. If we find the story true, the act as well as the resticted hours will be a decision maker for us.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 13,175 times
Default Pool Restrictions

My husband and I have been looking in North Carolina, South Carolina,Georgia and Florida at age qualified communities. Some of those communities do not have any restrictions on when kids can use the pool while others have certain hours at certain pools(if there's more than one pool). We feel we are paying a premium to live in a 55+ community and sometimes may not want kids running around a pool area and prefer peace and quiet. We have ruled out some communities because they do not have a policy regarding kids at the pool. We want to live in community that respects the rights of its residents to choose whether they want to be around children or not. This policy should be explained before buying though so that residents know the rules prior to buying. It is a question we always ask when touring a community!! When our grandkids visit, we will take them during the specified hours and when they're not visiting , if we WANT to "hear the laughter of children" we will schedule our pool time around those hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida