Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 12:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Florida legislature sends big infrastructure bill to help combat sea level rise to the governor's desk-

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/politi...rdable-housing

Quote:
The House voted 118-0 to approve a measure (SB 1954) that calls for spending up to $100 million a year on projects to address flooding and sea-level rise and creating a grant program for local governments.
Quote:
More controversially, the House on Thursday voted 78-38 to approve a measure (SB 2512) that would divvy up more than $400 million in documentary-stamp tax dollars that in the past have been targeted toward what is known as the Sadowski Trust Fund for affordable housing.

The bill would direct $200 million in documentary-stamp tax money to affordable housing, with $111.7 million going to sea-level rise efforts and $111.7 million going to sewage treatment projects, Senate sponsor Ben Albritton, R-Wauchula, said Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 01:08 PM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Where is there any place in Florida.....that floods annually...every year...with a foot or more of water

...and there's actually houses or neighborhoods there?

mangrove swamps flood annually....the Everglades floods annually....and they are supposed to...always have...it would be wrong if they didn't

...but no one is building shopping centers out there
According to our friend from Ohio, the heavily, densely-populated island of Sanibel almost got wiped off the map!

Old 04-12-2021, 05:02 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
According to our friend from Ohio, the heavily, densely-populated island of Sanibel almost got wiped off the map!

Not sure about Sanibel mel. But some places do get wiped off the map chap with a big cane. As for flooding and home prices we are good for a few more years before banks get scared off.All of you in this thread will be long dead when it becomes a real prob out past 70 years.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not sure about Sanibel mel. But some places do get wiped off the map chap with a big cane. As for flooding and home prices we are good for a few more years before banks get scared off.All of you in this thread will be long dead when it becomes a real prob out past 70 years.
Yes, I'm aware, and I also do believe that ONE day, some of these islands (including Sanibel) might end up under water if sea level rise continues -- however I am with you in that this is unlikely to happen in my lifetime, and hopefully I have another 70 years left here.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:03 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware, and I also do believe that ONE day, some of these islands (including Sanibel) might end up under water if sea level rise continues -- however I am with you in that this is unlikely to happen in my lifetime, and hopefully I have another 70 years left here.
We have already seen big changes in our weather since the 1970's. It will really ramp up now over the years. I sure don't wanna be here 70 years out.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:25 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Sometime, I will return to this thread to respond to the barrage of "Big Lie" hokum (e.g., from post 73, Miami
isn't "as big a flood threat as MANY other places now" ) in several recent posts.

I refuse to waste too much time playing "whack-a-prevaricator" with the handful of dedicated climate change deniers who populate this forum.

In the meantime, for Earth Day, those interested in scientific and other expert reality should check out posts 32 and 33 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...lerates-4.html

Shades of Spencer Glendon, here also is an interview with Dan Linblade, President and CEO of the Greater Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce.

<<How will things like sea-level rise and changing weather patterns affect Florida’s economy in the future?

If we do nothing, it will basically shut us down. So that’s the risk. What really got me was when I saw what the insurance estimators and actuarials were looking at for inaction and basically pricing us out of our future.

We couldn’t afford residential real estate because we couldn’t insure it. We couldn’t secure a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage because it wasn’t actuarially sound because there was no mitigation going on.>>

https://www.theinvadingsea.com/2021/...-shut-us-down/

Old 04-22-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Sometime, I will return to this thread to respond to the barrage of "Big Lie" hokum (e.g., from post 73, Miami
isn't "as big a flood threat as MANY other places now" ) in several recent posts.

I refuse to waste too much time playing "whack-a-prevaricator" with the handful of dedicated climate change deniers who populate this forum.

In the meantime, for Earth Day, those interested in scientific and other expert reality should check out posts 32 and 33 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...lerates-4.html

Shades of Spencer Glendon, here also is an interview with Dan Linblade, President and CEO of the Greater Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce.

<<How will things like sea-level rise and changing weather patterns affect Florida’s economy in the future?

If we do nothing, it will basically shut us down. So that’s the risk. What really got me was when I saw what the insurance estimators and actuarials were looking at for inaction and basically pricing us out of our future.

We couldn’t afford residential real estate because we couldn’t insure it. We couldn’t secure a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage because it wasn’t actuarially sound because there was no mitigation going on.>>

https://www.theinvadingsea.com/2021/...-shut-us-down/
*yaaawwwwn*

No one here is denying climate change. NO ONE.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
*yaaawwwwn*

No one here is denying climate change. NO ONE.

Right, you don't believe "barely" populated (your ridiculous claim) Sanibel Island, with a mere 3 feet of elevation according to Google, is vulnerable in the next few decades to accelerating sea level rise, let alone a 10- to 20-foot storm surge. Even Sanibel's mayor disagrees with you.

<<The total relative sea-level rise for South Florida by 2046 could thus be 2.7 to 3.4 feet, and within 50 years could be 5.7 to 7.2 feet. This is not an encouraging future when you look at elevation maps of South Florida or most any other coast.>>

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...620-story.html

Do you agree that Miami isn't as exposed to accelerating sea level rise, high tides, storm surges, and consequential flooding, as several other American cities?????

It's one thing to merely state climate change is happening. It's quite another thing to admit to the consequences; IMO, those who trivialize the impacts of climate change are climate change deniers.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-22-2021 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Right, you don't believe "barely" populated (your ridiculous claim) Sanibel Island, with a mere 3 feet of elevation according to Google, is vulnerable in the next few decades to accelerating sea level rise, let alone a 10- to 20-foot storm surge. Even Sanibel's mayor disagrees with you.

<<The total relative sea-level rise for South Florida by 2046 could thus be 2.7 to 3.4 feet, and within 50 years could be 5.7 to 7.2 feet. This is not an encouraging future when you look at elevation maps of South Florida or most any other coast.>>

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion...620-story.html

Do you agree that Miami isn't as exposed to accelerating sea level rise, high tides, storm surges, and consequential flooding, as several other American cities?????

It's one thing to merely state climate change is happening. It's quite another thing to admit to the consequences; IMO, those who trivialize the impacts of climate change are climate change deniers.
Sanibels mayor disagrees with me how, that it’s barely populated? I NEVER said anything about it not being vulnerable to dangerous storm surge. Point to where I said that! Notice how you never responded to my last post on that thread about how the majority of homes there are rented/short-term/etc. (And even then, 7,000 total potential inhabitants at any given time is a VERY small number for an island once expected to inhabit 90,000 people. Go on, WR... lol!!!)

You pick and chose, and when proven wrong and clueless, go silent. Revisit that thread, and respond to my post why don’t you?

Sure, Miami is exposed — is anyone denying that? Civil engineers are actively working on solutions for this — you ignored the posts addressing this too.

“Trivialize?” Really? We are addressing it, including actual engineer (myself included.) No need to go doom and gloom over everything the way you do. And we know a hell of a lot more about the situation than you do.

You’re just annoying, is all. Stay in Ohio — you have your own issues to deal with there.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 04-22-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 02:52 PM

My post 59:

Quote:
?????

Sanibel has a population of 7,500 relatively wealthy individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanibel,_Florida

https://www.zillow.com/sanibel-fl/home-values/

I wish I could find such sustained ignorance funny.

Sanibel's mayor had expected Hurricane Irma to wipe Sanibel off the map.

https://www.news-press.com/story/wea...ief/655544001/

https://www.captivasanibel.com/2019/...ewell-sanibel/

Of course the risks faced by Sanibel residents also apply to the several millions of Floridians who live on barrier islands and coastal areas with sea level elevations of less than five feet.

What do believe the consequences will be of major hurricane striking a heavily populated and developed area of Florida?

Do you dismiss the possibility that an insurance reserves crushing catastrophe, as anticipated by Glendon, wouldn't reverberate through Florida's economy with severely negative consequences?

Do you think the total destruction of Sanibel or another barrier island would serve as a massive wake-up call to all Floridians living in coastal areas?
Quote:
Sanibels mayor disagrees with me how, that it’s barely populated? Notice how you never responded to my last post on that thread about how the majority of homes there are rented/short-term/etc. (And even then, 7,000 total potential inhabitants at any given time is a VERY small number for an island once expected to inhabit 90,000 people.)
<<[Sanibel] Mayor Kevin Ruane believed Irma would wipe Sanibel from the map. >>

https://www.news-press.com/story/wea...ief/655544001/

I didn't respond to your unsubstantiated post because essentially you keep denying the Census Bureau's 7,500 population of Sanibel, despite a public school, several churches and a large recreation center. BTW, Sanibel's population disproportionately contains more elderly empty nesters, as you surely understand, which explains the rather small percentage of school children.

If anyone wants to believe your ridiculous claims about Sanibel, they aren't worth me wasting any more time explaining your obviously "Big Lie" deceits about the island. Do you really believe a population of 7,500 qualifies as "barely" populated?

Quote:
Sure, Miami is exposed — is anyone denying that?
See post 73 and previous posts about Miami. Your reading comprehension is pathetic, if you even bother to read other posts carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida