Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 06:44 AM

88 posts, read 118,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm a big believer in full disclosure. Cross country moves are expensive; the transaction costs for real estate purchases are high. So know what you're getting into and have that kind of info on hand.

The political threads these days are making me miss the Publix discussions- yes, you will pay more for groceries here than you would i the realm of Kroger or Safeway. Personally I feel like Publix offers a better enough product to justify the pricing but if you're one of those folks who coupon clips and expects buy your usual basket of groceries for $50/week, you're likely going to be disappointed.

This is a low tax state. But taxes aren' everything and this is also a high insurance cost state. I'm relatively inland, not in a flood zone, and rather in the boonies so it's not as bad as it would be if we were in Miami-Dade. But I'm also paying about 4x what I'd have paid for property insurance if we'd stayed in Tennessee and probably twice the auto insurance costs.

I understand where you are coming from believe me. I guess I am just one of those people who still believes if someone wants to move somewhere go for it. Life is short do it and take a chance and have fun with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 09:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsportsradio View Post
I understand where you are coming from believe me. I guess I am just one of those people who still believes if someone wants to move somewhere go for it. Life is short do it and take a chance and have fun with it
And I've been here long enough to see the state chew up and and out a lot of folks without a plan or sufficient resources to get themselves established. There are smarter and less smart ways to follow your bliss.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:09 AM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm a big believer in full disclosure. Cross country moves are expensive; the transaction costs for real estate purchases are high. So know what you're getting into and have that kind of info on hand.

The political threads these days are making me miss the Publix discussions- yes, you will pay more for groceries here than you would i the realm of Kroger or Safeway. Personally I feel like Publix offers a better enough product to justify the pricing but if you're one of those folks who coupon clips and expects buy your usual basket of groceries for $50/week, you're likely going to be disappointed.

This is a low tax state. But taxes aren' everything and this is also a high insurance cost state. I'm relatively inland, not in a flood zone, and rather in the boonies so it's not as bad as it would be if we were in Miami-Dade. But I'm also paying about 4x what I'd have paid for property insurance if we'd stayed in Tennessee and probably twice the auto insurance costs.
It's a low tax state and a low services state. What you don't see, is there - just unseen. There's a significant homeless population, and significant demographic that lives WELL below the high end of the poverty level. There are still entire clusters of people living in the Ocala forest in shacks and tents, dilapidated RVs and campers, who can't get work, or can only get minimum wage work, who are raising their kids in these clusters with no way to get to school - so they don't go. Entire generation of children being brought up with no education, or sub-par education.

And even if they could get to school, they'd be going to bad schools with underpaid teachers who are forced into glorified babysitter roles and can't actually teach their kids anything due to lack of education resource funding.

Toxic waste cleanup and prevention - non-existent. Enjoy your radioactive shrimp from the gulf stream, kids. But hey you can sip margaritas on the lanai and watch your perfectly manicured, perfectly landscaped, perfectly pesticided gated community grow green and perfect in the summer breeze. Just don't drink the water.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:11 PM

13 posts, read 12,437 times
Haven't logged on for a while since I've been busy.

On the subject of warm weather, I found out that there is a such thing as air conditioned clothing. I can wear them outdoors in the summer and they'll protect me from UV rays as well since they'll have long sleeves/pant legs. I guess it will be the summers when I'll have to "dress for the weather" instead of the winters like up here in PA.

BTW, last time I was in FL was on a high school trip to Disney 4 years ago in late March I believe; I remember the temperature being in the lower 70s in the daytime I think.

Last edited by Cyclone105; 05-09-2021 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM

Nothing is off the table still. What is driving like in the areas I've talked about?

Would you say that tourism adds significantly to traffic and commuting to/from work (wondering this about Daytona the most)?

Let's say I were to land a job in Indiatlantic. I can see on Google Maps that the commute can be over 25 or even 30 mins from certain parts of Palm Bay. What is morning/rush hour traffic like in Palm Bay?

I don't think I need to ask about Jacksonville. Is there transit of any kind (preferably train) that goes into Jax from the surrounding counties?

Old 05-18-2021, 01:38 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone105 View Post
Nothing is off the table still. What is driving like in the areas I've talked about?

Would you say that tourism adds significantly to traffic and commuting to/from work (wondering this about Daytona the most)?

Let's say I were to land a job in Indiatlantic. I can see on Google Maps that the commute can be over 25 or even 30 mins from certain parts of Palm Bay. What is morning/rush hour traffic like in Palm Bay?

I don't think I need to ask about Jacksonville. Is there transit of any kind (preferably train) that goes into Jax from the surrounding counties?
Daytona has lots of tourism, and it can get VERY annoying during Bike Week, NASCAR, Spring Break, etc.

Palm Bay to Indiatlantic is never really bad. Traffic is generally light there, regardless of season.

Jacksonville has buses for public transit. There is a [free] skyway, but it only services the downtown area. It has Tampa levels of Public transit, which is not a good thing at all.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:31 PM

Actually, what is morning/rush hour driving like in Jax outside of downtown (like on the East and West sides of the city)? Based on what I've heard, I believe it's I-95 where you don't wanna be during the morning and rush hour commutes in Jax.

Last edited by Cyclone105; 05-24-2021 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-24-2021, 02:01 PM

396 posts, read 417,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone105 View Post
?

We don't do "trains" here. You have to lose that northeast commuter mentality. We drive to work here.

That said, the busiest arterials in Jax are I-95, I-295 & I-10. I-95 is busiest on the southern side of the city up to downtown, 295 is busiest from Orange Park to I-95 & I-10 is busiest from Chaffee Rd. into downtown.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _burrito View Post
We don't do "trains" here. You have to lose that northeast commuter mentality. We drive to work here.

That said, the busiest arterials in Jax are I-95, I-295 & I-10. I-95 is busiest on the southern side of the city up to downtown, 295 is busiest from Orange Park to I-95 & I-10 is busiest from Chaffee Rd. into downtown.
Thanks. What is morning/rush hour like outside of downtown and not on the interstates?

Old 05-27-2021, 09:59 AM

35 posts, read 38,979 times
busy, crowded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida