U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:52 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,212,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
CFL shares characteristics of SFL and NFL in regards to culture, climate, and feel, and therefore is the perfect middle ground.

Its becoming more South FL than North FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,529 times
I can not speak for all of north Florida but moved to panama city 3 years ago. It depends on your budget. If you can afford a home over 200,000 then you have a better chance of being in a decent area. I would stay on the beach side if possible. west end of beach or bay point if you can afford it. Thomas drive area seems sketchy to me. Looked there to buy a home
in my price range and decided against it. Moved here for a job but I would love to move toward Brandon or Sarasota.
Even Tampa. Very unhappy with the run down housing in Panama city. The pay here doesn't even make sense.
All I can say is vacationed here for 20 plus years and loved it. living here is a different story. Best of Luck.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 3,994,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
South Florida weather was a nightmare for me. I hate hot and humidity weather unless its the summer. I like the seasons. Heat and Humidity 9 months a year is horrible. The only months i liked South Florida's weather was Dec through Feb. By March it was heating up to 85 plus and humid.
It takes a while to acclimate. After 4 years I'm cold if it's under 70!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:45 AM

509 posts, read 566,209 times
I prefer Central Florida to be honest: Orlando, Haines City, Lake Wales, and Frostproof. But if I had to choose between North and South, I like South better: Miami, Key West, West Palm Beach, the beaches are the best down there. Also Southwest near Naples is nice!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,741,386 times
We visited down here for years before moving. We picked SWFL, have the Gulf breezes, beautiful beaches. CFL can get real hot and sticky in the summer. SEFL has more jobs but don't like to live there.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM

73 posts, read 119,618 times
Spanish in Miami, I agree...I lived in south FL from 1981-2004...Lived in Jupiter FL. for about 4 years and Ocala (central) for 2 years. I am now in Jacksonville for about 5. The cultures and way of life are all different. Is it better north? Maybe? The weather is awesome here! Some cool air finally in the winter, gives us a break of the summer heat! I do not miss the traffic down south,,always bumper to bumper,,,unless you learn the time to stay off the road..like rush hour 4pm-7pm. Rent is cheaper in central and north fl. It depends on what your looking for. Alot of action and things to do...go south...more layed back..go north....boring,,,then go central...lol good luck!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 19,719 times
Down in southern california the winters can be warm,most days in a week is in the 70's to low 80's,when it rains its 60's
occasionally during high pressure system in the winter months's temps can be bumped up near the 90's.its really nice here,just like the summer

Old 02-28-2015, 07:00 PM

61 posts, read 131,204 times
Default south fl vs north fl

agreed i hope one day soon to move to north of orlando too much of a built up concrete jungle down here

Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 PM

50 posts, read 24,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
North Florida and South Florida each have their own advantages.

I moved from Jupiter to Tallahassee for school, and the best part of Tallahassee is the weather (you get somewhat of a change in seasons) and the landscape (massive oaks, rolling hills, more rural... but no palm trees if you like that sort of thing).

I'm getting out of here soon however (got a place to sell if you're looking ;-P). I just don't fit in the "culture" of North Florida. Tallahassee is a small Island of progressive culture more or less in a sea of "red state" values, and I like that, but the surrounding area might as well be Georgia. On the upside, there's less of a materialistic slant on everything the way it is down in Palm Beach or Miami, but there's still kind of that small town "good old boy" network up here that I simply loathe, if you know what I mean? Plus I miss the blue water rivers and intracoastal. The beach is a bit of drive from here.

In South Florida I have never had to speak Spanish to someone, and if I did, they were tourists. I wouldn't EVER speak Spanish to someone who absolutely refused to speak English, but you will hear Spanish a lot more often down in South Florida than here. Then again, you'll have a much more cosmopolitan experience down there anyway, and meet Europeans, South Americans and others if you go out and socialize.

Home prices are higher in South Florida by about 40% or so than up here, but as usual, demand drives prices and there are simply more people that want to move to South Florida. If you want a slower pace of life (traffic is the opposite annoying up here -- everyone drives below the speed limit as if they have no place to go) and more hometownish feel, North Florida is the place (though again, I only speak from experience in Tallahassee, which at least has SOME semblence of culture and entertainment you won't find somewhere like "Sopchoppy Florida" or "Monroe Florida"!!
This is very true and alot of south FL critics don't realize this. I actually do speak some spanish, however I have never had to use it. There have been times I used it but only because I wanted to practice it, which is a nice option to have.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 PM

50 posts, read 24,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Cayman View Post
Ok, I'll give my two cents worth here. I used to live in Fla. and much of my family is from Bay Co. so I may be able to offer some perspective.

North Florida, which I'm speaking of the panhandle and around the bend down to around Ocala, is more like your typical "southern" style. The people, lifestyle, "redneck" customs, food, country music, etc. is more in line with what you'd find in Alabama, Georgia, parts of Tennessee, etc....It's a lot more rural with many, many wide open farms and open spaces. North Fla. is also generally cheaper in terms of cost of living with home prices as well as everyday things. This is what I'm used to. From Orlando on downward, it's a totally different feel.

South Florida is a hell-hole. You might as well be in New York City....or Latin America. Over crowded, over priced, over hyped, super high crime, don't speak spanish? LOL, good luck then. Many, many folks come down there thinking that it's some sort of paradise, they buy into the fantasy of sunshine, palm trees, warm weather, beaches, etc. But, the thing is, many of these folk get here and realize that they actually have to work for a living and, therefore, they find dead end jobs, have to work like a dog just to make it in the overpriced market and end up with no free time to enjoy the things they came down for in the first place.

Many a yankee has come down here just to find out that south Florida has turned into the very type of environment that they were trying to flee from up north. On the positive side of the comparison, there is MUCH more to do and see in south Florida. Much more cultural and multi-faceted. There just ain't much goings on up in our part of north Florida.

I'm being brutally honest here with my perspective. I've been to every corner and everywhere in between in this state, so I'm telling you like it is. It's just that lots of people come down here and end up disappointed that it doesn't live up to their "fantasy" that they built up in their mind. Just do yer homework before ya'll dive in. But, really, I guess it becomes what you make of it. So many folk come down this way believing that it's some kind of paradise, but really, once you get used to it, settle in, find a job, etc.......your lifestyle just becomes largely the same way it was back where you came from.
All false stereotypes (it is overcrowded however, I'll give you that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or