Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
North Florida with the exception of the IMMEDIATE Gainesville city area is 100% teabagger/republican/highly religious. So avoid if if you don't like that mindset.
This is simply not true. Sure it is very red here, there are plenty of conservative people, and McCain carried Jacksonville.
But Obama carried Florida, and anyone who focuses strictly on tea party stuff misses the bigger picture: Things are changing here. I am liberal/moderate, have friends living here who are the same, and I am not going to be leaving anytime soon.
However, we do have the occasional stereotypes rear their heads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
There are plenty of regular Joes up in the Panhandle, but it still has some of the South's worst stereotypes.
Yes. See below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc322 View Post
Gainesville, Florida is the most liberal city in Florida, period. They have the University of Florida there filled with liberal profs. The minister that wanted to burn the KORAN, wasn't necessarily wrong in wanting to do so. The Muslims in other countries don't have problems in killing Christians and Jews. They also don't have problems in burning the American flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,986 times
From the panhandle of Florida so to me G-ville is central Florida. A quick way to know if you are in the south is order ice tea if isn't real sweet the you ain't in the south!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Oh yeah ... meant to say ... don't come to the Panhandle ....
It's horrible .... the beaches are clean and emerald green .....
The sand is white .... the coastal dune lakes are rare ....
It's way to relaxed ... the food is bad ... especially the fresh local fish ...
There are way too many golf courses ....
And too many recreational water activities like boating, fishing, surfing or even just lounging on a float in the water all day ....
The people are just too friendly ...
It's just bad ....

Haha, i was going to say, Don't let the secret out about how great it is up here, Or else everyone will come and we will have to share!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 AM

96 posts, read 133,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It's basically North America vs. South America.
Exactly that's an excellent way of looking at it

Old 12-22-2013, 01:39 AM

North Florida: Southern culture
South Florida: Caribbean culture

Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
I prefer South Florida. More exotic, warmer, better beaches, more liberal, more exciting. North/Central FL is fine for visiting though.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I prefer South Florida. More exotic, warmer, better beaches, more liberal, more exciting. North/Central FL is fine for visiting though.
Yeah me too South Florida is way better, but North Florida is way too country like Georgia and Alabama

Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post
Yeah me too South Florida is way better, but North Florida is way too country like Georgia and Alabama
I'm biting my tongue here, but...

What about S FL is better? You like the rude/egotistical/self-centeredness of S FL? That's attractive and enticing to be around to you?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:46 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
I think people are not too crazy about the rednecks who mostly reside in North Florida plus the weather cooler making South Florida more desirable.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Just some info- If you are working for the State of Fl- they have a one year probation period before you get medical insurance. Since you have children, that may be important to you.

Since you are aware of S. Florida, and the expense; better to check up north Sunrico and others from N. Florida have alot of good info regarding that area. Stay away from rapidly developing retired/gated communities. If you are looking for work, the construction boom (unless you are a developer) is an anomaly. Good luck!.

sunny.
^This. Many places seem affordable, then here come the developers, pricing you out of your new place.

I was considering buying in a place that I would now be priced out of. it's been annexed into the city, so the taxes will be higher than when it was county. And a huge development is rumored to be in the works.
Some people think that is good as there will be more money towards infrastructure improvements. Then your taxes will likely go up as well.

The Publix in Central Florida have a better selection of beer than the ones in South Florida. lol. I'm being silly. I don't see how the northern parts of Florida are "behind" any more. Things are changing.

Of course that's not all. The Publix in South Florida are older and smaller than the new stores up there. I'm a vegan and I was surprised to see stuff in the grocery stores up there that I can't get here unless I make the haul to Whole Foods or wherever.

In my experience, Central and North Florida aren't the ignorant hellholes many make them out to be.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 12-22-2013 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida