Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times

Advertisements

One of the things I noticed is that places start going down the crapper economically when it becomes a big retirement hub. There has been a report that I need to reread that says one of the main reasons why the New Mexican economy is so bad is because of all the Moderator cut: edit: "retirees". I noticed the report also hinted at Florida as the reason why its economy does bad is because of all the Moderator cut: "retirees" who only care about healthcare and senior discounts.

Seriously, I have seen what happens to places when the city gets filled with retirees. I'm not saying old folks are bad; it is just that they stop caring about everyone else in their advanced age.

Is this one of the main reasons (not the only reason) why Florida's economy is so bad Moderator cut: edit: "retirees"?

Last edited by riveree; 05-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: let's not cross the line and start name-calling

Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Retirees????? There aren't many left, they can't afford it here anymore... It's the greedy real estate developers in 2004/2005 that ruined it pretty much. Buying up everything, then reselling it at top dollar, then CRASH!!! Now it's worth half or less than people paid, and they are losing thier butts in it. Not retirees...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Retirees are not a problem. They don't commit many crimes and don't really use too many services. They don't go on welfare and public assistance. They don't send kids to the school system, but still pay their share of taxes. They usually have disposable income.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
LOL - Retirees ARE the economy here! Problem is we are losing them now due to rising costs and (in many areas) too many illegals.

And by the way, OP, your original post is pretty condescending. You may one day BE one of those "Moderator cut: edit"retirees" you so eloquently write about.

Last edited by riveree; 05-12-2008 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: edited due to edited post above

Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 AM

80 posts, read 348,935 times
As a senior, I find your post to be offensive Moderator cut: edit

If new stores, dealerships and businesses open when they migrate - creating new jobs and new sales tax revenue for the State - how can they be harming Florida's economy? Plus most retirees are living off pensions and retirement plans, not welfare.

Clearly retirees contribute more than they take. And furthermore, your disrespect for older citizens will most likely come back to haunt you someday.

Last edited by riveree; 05-12-2008 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: please report a post if you feel it should be addressed

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
One of the things I noticed is that places start going down the crapper economically when it becomes a big retirement hub....Moderator cut: edit: the post quoted has been edited above
WOW....you are so off base Moderator cut: edit. You aren't a native Floridian are you? I don't think so. Its so funny how people come from all over to live in Florida and when they get there they try to change it to like the place they came from.

Retiree's and tourist have made Florida a great place and they always will. Florida's economy has always been a up and down with different trends over the past 40 years or so. Like many other places in the country growth is starting to take it's toll on Florida, but it's not the retiree's fault.

I wouldn't say it's anyones fault per-say, first there was a demand for land in the recent few years. At the same time alot of the Citrus areas became more profitable to sell and build house's on due to weather , disease and other factors that made growing citrus and other agricultural products difficult to grow and profit from.

Now I use to live on the Treasure Coast in Indian River County (Vero Beach) and the boom there from the mid 90's up till a few years ago was out of this world for Realtors. The need for more schools and roads and other service's from local government was overwhelming. Now "RETIREE'S" aren't having kids are they? No....its families moving in what were mostly "RETIREE'S" areas.

If theres anyone to blame its the local governments not slowing down growth and not building up the utilities and roads to keep up with the growth of population. Then property taxes shot through the roof and is hurting mostly the "RETIREE'S".

Now that the whole country has tanked in the real estate market your going to blame retiree's??

Another thing you say "you know what happens when a city get filled up with retiree's"...what happens? Tell us and give an example of a city and what bad has happened.

And last but not least, someone is blaming Mexico's economy on the increasing amount of retiree's going there instead of Florida or Arizona?? First of all Mexico's economy or lack there of has it's own problems that has nothing to do with retiree's. In fact the new retiree's are adding to the economy down there if anything.

Also it's extremely easy to blame the "illegals" for all our current woe's. They have been here for YEARS. Don't get me wrong , I don't like the immigration problem we have and it's in need of serious repair. I know first hand since I currently live in the San Diego area very close to the border. It's actually kind of strange that I think I actually saw more illegals when I live in other places in the country than I ever have here near the border. I'm guessing because it's so expensive to live here?

Anyway "What" .....I suggest maybe you move back to where you came from.

For me...as soon as our jobs stop moving us around , my family is heading straight back to FLORIDA...it is Home.....oh and by the "WE LOVE OUR SENIORS" in Indian River County !!!!!

Last edited by riveree; 05-12-2008 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: please report a post if you feel it is against Terms of Service

Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
No problem, the coming hyperinflationary economy will wipe out a good deal of retiree's disposable income. They will be going to places like Arkansas and Panama and leaving Florida's real estate economy to flounder.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresjolie3 View Post
As a senior, I find your post to be offensive Moderator cut: edit .

If new stores, dealerships and businesses open when they migrate - creating new jobs and new sales tax revenue for the State - how can they be harming Florida's economy? Plus most retirees are living off pensions and retirement plans, not welfare.

Clearly retirees contribute more than they take. And furthermore, your disrespect for older citizens will most likely come back to haunt you someday.
I couldn't agree more!

Last edited by riveree; 05-12-2008 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: quote previously edited

Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresjolie3 View Post
As a senior, I find your post to be offensive Moderator cut: edit .

You should report offensive posts if they bother you.

Last edited by riveree; 05-12-2008 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: previously edited quote...and yes, reporting a post is a good idea if it seems against the TOS

Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,115 times
The developers are ruining Florida. They STILL keep on building even though the economy is tanking. The size of some of the hotels/time shares around central Florida is disgusting. Where are they going to get all the water to run these places from??? They already are petitioning northern Florida for their water!!! We are having wildfires as we speak. Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: