Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:33 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I think the FL to NC and TN fad that happened a few years ago has dissipated.

Why anyone would want to go to NC is beyond me.

Because its awesome. But keep thinking that. And tell everyone in South FL it sux too

And the trend has not dissipated. I can tell you that for sure.

Where in FL do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,653 times
We live in south Florida. Broward to be specific and my kids attend what are considered some of the top schools in the are. We are relocating to chapel hill this summer for a job and I am actually concerned that for a pay cut, the cost of living will be the same and from what I read, am wondering if my kids will be on par with education. Both are in gifted programs down here, one elementary and one high school. Does anyone have any first hand experience moving their kids from broward to chapel hill? Oh and the property taxes seem to be the exact same.. With same living area for a house.. 1700-2000 sq ft down here runs about 350 and same sq ft up there runs same with out a garage... What is the fascination with building so many houses without garages up there?

Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne0203 View Post
We live in south Florida. Broward to be specific and my kids attend what are considered some of the top schools in the are. We are relocating to chapel hill this summer for a job and I am actually concerned that for a pay cut, the cost of living will be the same and from what I read, am wondering if my kids will be on par with education. Both are in gifted programs down here, one elementary and one high school. Does anyone have any first hand experience moving their kids from broward to chapel hill? Oh and the property taxes seem to be the exact same.. With same living area for a house.. 1700-2000 sq ft down here runs about 350 and same sq ft up there runs same with out a garage... What is the fascination with building so many houses without garages up there?
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools are #1 in the state so would seem you made a trade up in that department. North Carolina doesn't have weather extremes like places further south (or north) so perhaps garages aren't as big a deal for most...??

Old 06-11-2016, 06:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools are #1 in the state so would seem you made a trade up in that department. North Carolina doesn't have weather extremes like places further south (or north) so perhaps garages aren't as big a deal for most...??
They park their cars on the lawn.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshyne0203 View Post
Ask on the chapel hill area forum. You will see tons of Floridians that have moved there and will give you this perspective. I wouldn't worry.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They park their cars on the lawn.
In chapel hill? Not quite. I thought that was a south fla thing...pave the yard so there's no grass and then just park by the front door...

Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:

You know how many people outside of Florida bash Florida and say things like "Who would wanna move there?" or "Figures, they're from Florida." Don't think you're on some elevated plain above NC or something

Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
In chapel hill? Not quite. I thought that was a south fla thing...pave the yard so there's no grass and then just park by the front door...
A Southern thing, except they do not pave it over, they just let the weeds grow.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:05 PM

105 posts, read 107,645 times
The roaches seem to love it.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:

I mean both places have their clear advantages. Assuming we're talking about major MSAs for each state then in comparison to FL, NC is still Mayberry, calm, and less to do. Diversity is also better in FL and so are the beaches. Heck no major cities in NC are anywhere near the coast or mountains. But therein lies NC's greatest strength, the beauty and boringness of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida