U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 AM

133 posts, read 492,125 times

Advertisements

Very interesting, firemed, about your taxes or/ho.

Can understand pianogal's concerns also. Can't move myself for sometime, so every place I am interested in will probably become much more expensive by that time.

Have to ask, though, is your house in a rural area? Near a well-sized city?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,025,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Very interesting, firemed, about your taxes or/ho.

Can understand pianogal's concerns also. Can't move myself for sometime, so every place I am interested in will probably become much more expensive by that time.

Have to ask, though, is your house in a rural area? Near a well-sized city?
I'm in Cherokee County its in between Charlotte SC/NC. and Spartenburg SC. The County Seat is Gaffney its where the big peach water tower is on I-85.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Firemed, Please don't give the secret of upstate South Carolina away. It is still affordable - but getting bigger and more unaffordable every day. I remember a few years ago when Myrtle Beach was affordable - now the prices almost compare to Florida (not South Florida, yet).

If we can't afford to live in Florida when we retire (I will be so sad) upstate SC is our next choice. Don't ruin it before we get there..OK?
Sorry Pianogal, I know what you are talking about.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:30 PM

133 posts, read 492,125 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I'm in Cherokee County its in between Charlotte SC/NC. and Spartenburg SC. The County Seat is Gaffney its where the big peach water tower is on I-85.
Thanks, firemed, for the info. Gives me an idea it is a suburb of Charlotte, NC but on the SC side. But may be further out if you are on 2 acres.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring-rox View Post
Thanks, firemed, for the info. Gives me an idea it is a suburb of Charlotte, NC but on the SC side. But may be further out if you are on 2 acres.
In that area the norm is 1/2 to 5 acre lots . If you go into the city of Gaffney the lots are smaller.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:28 PM

13,361 posts, read 38,517,187 times
Did anyone see the recent article in Rolling Stone about the hog farms in North Carolina?
The hog fecal waste is a serious environmental issue.Yuck.

I won't post a link, it has a pretty nasty picture of dead pigs on the first page, but you can find it if you google Rolling Stone hog farm.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Firemed, Please don't give the secret of upstate South Carolina away. It is still affordable - but getting bigger and more unaffordable every day. I remember a few years ago when Myrtle Beach was affordable - now the prices almost compare to Florida (not South Florida, yet).

If we can't afford to live in Florida when we retire (I will be so sad) upstate SC is our next choice. Don't ruin it before we get there..OK?

Dont worry, theres probably over 100 cities and towns that are affordable. You can in fact afford Florida if you are willing to live in a mobile home. You can buy an acre of land near Gainsville or Ocala with a mobile home for $50k.
If you are 55+ theres lots of active adult condos that sell for under $100k even in south Florida!

Anyway NC is more affordable, less crime and less hurricanes than Florida. Dont mind the cold, its usually mild and well above freezing. In fact id rather take a little cold than the endless Florida heat!

Old 01-01-2007, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 45,370 times
Hello again florigidge, and a happy 2007 to all
yes I am still going back and forth with FL & NC. From what I heard so far NC sounds better except the klan march part, the 1980's is not too long ago and yes I am Black I will take your advice and look at the big cities only and narrow my search down with Charlotte NC or cities near it and Jacksonville FL or cities near it

Old 01-01-2007, 04:05 PM

168 posts, read 663,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYchick View Post
Hello again florigidge, and a happy 2007 to all
yes I am still going back and forth with FL & NC. From what I heard so far NC sounds better except the klan march part, the 1980's is not too long ago and yes I am Black I will take your advice and look at the big cities only and narrow my search down with Charlotte NC or cities near it and Jacksonville FL or cities near it
hi, for what it's worth, after i posted my reply to you, i was nosed around in the north carolina forums and coincidentally i happened upon a recent post by someone who addressed this very issue - the klan marches down the center of town - and he said that they were around in the mid-80s but NOW they have disappeared along with their billboards. here is his post:

clodhopper

There is racism here in NC but it is nothing like it was 20 years ago. Compared to 40 years ago....I mean light years difference. No one is going to bother you. An ignorant person might make a comment...but that is their downfall. The vast overwhelming majority of NC'ers would come to your aid if someone slighted you. The biggest thing working against racial harmony here are the poorly funded school systems in many counties. Much of NC is essentially economically depressed. It is possible to experience racial division here no matter what color your skin is given the right (or rather wrong) circumstances. But it is not an everyday thing by any stretch. When I moved to NC in the mid '80's, the KKK marched down the main street of town each year. There was a KKK billboard on the highway. The march and billboard have been gone for years. The New South is for everyone, and NC proves it everyday.

so perhaps there is a ray of light. how interesting that those marches went on all over n.c. during that specific time period.

i'd still avoid the lesser known, smaller, more "quaint" cities in favor of the larger, metro cities where there might be a more diverse population. however, college towns are pretty good places to live, but jobs may not be in abundance.

Last edited by florigidge; 01-01-2007 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-01-2007, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 32,618 times
Default moved to FA from NJ and looking at NC

I come from a town in NJ where in the 80s a car would drive by my house once every hour or so, now its a traffic jam during rush hour and they will widen the road and take all of my yard. I moved to indian county FA five months ago and Im not impressed, my husband cant find a job that pays over 10 or 15 an hour. I cant find a job that would pay daycare. We could start a business but the economy here dosent seem to suport any more small businesses. The stores are not cheaper, in fact some grocery stores jack up the prices on produce and bread higher than the north, someone said they do this to the seniors that they know will continue to shop there. I love the out doors but hate the beach, I like lakes and camping but here Im terrified of the alligators everywhere. I joined a church group and made friends, everyone is from the north and they tell me about how they survived the hurricanes and they came here for a more affordable life. The restuarants are the same prices as I found in the north. I found a couple of decent deals on new homes, but they are tiny lots in crowed subdivisions. I think Ashville is where I want to look, not to hot, not to cold? I was told its clickish, but thats fine for me to meet friends. I heard its diverse, its sounds like theres no racial iggnorance as some say the south has? Ok pros for FA I dont have to buy winter clothes, and my car insurance is $200 cheaper. I cant wait to see what Asheville is like or other parts of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida