U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,218,405 times

Advertisements

NC will most likely be cheaper than FL. If you get involved in a good church that has small groups or care groups, you should not have to worry about 'clannishness' (not sure that's a word, but you know what I mean).

NC does have state income tax and property tax on your vehicles. However, depending on where you move, you should find the cost of housing much cheaper for more house and much more land.

Auto insurance is debatable...my parents in SC pay more than we do in Orlando. Homeowners Ins. should be much less than what you pay in Indian County and property taxes will probably be less - although the millage rate in some areas of NC are almost as much as some areas of FL.

If you frequent road side vegetable stands, food can be much cheaper although unless you move to a large city - i.e. Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. you will not find the variety we have here in Florida. NC is a beautiful state, I hope you find a great place. By the way, Asheville has really grown and has gotten MUCH more expensive over the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM

168 posts, read 663,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVIVES View Post
I come from a town in NJ where in the 80s a car would drive by my house once every hour or so, now its a traffic jam during rush hour and they will widen the road and take all of my yard. I moved to indian county FA five months ago and Im not impressed, my husband cant find a job that pays over 10 or 15 an hour. I cant find a job that would pay daycare. We could start a business but the economy here dosent seem to suport any more small businesses. The stores are not cheaper, in fact some grocery stores jack up the prices on produce and bread higher than the north, someone said they do this to the seniors that they know will continue to shop there. I love the out doors but hate the beach, I like lakes and camping but here Im terrified of the alligators everywhere. I joined a church group and made friends, everyone is from the north and they tell me about how they survived the hurricanes and they came here for a more affordable life. The restuarants are the same prices as I found in the north. I found a couple of decent deals on new homes, but they are tiny lots in crowed subdivisions. I think Ashville is where I want to look, not to hot, not to cold? I was told its clickish, but thats fine for me to meet friends. I heard its diverse, its sounds like theres no racial iggnorance as some say the south has? Ok pros for FA I dont have to buy winter clothes, and my car insurance is $200 cheaper. I cant wait to see what Asheville is like or other parts of NC.

with all due respect, please check the map location of asheville. not too cold? it's in the mountains of north carolina. it's also rather trendy now from what i've been reading. head over to the north carolina forum and get opinions of asheville. housing sounds sky high; not sure of the rental rates. but its not too far from other carolina ski resorts so anything in that area will have jacked prices due to tourism. just like certain places in florida.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,938,395 times
All depends where in FL you are comparing it too, mentalitywise there are parts of NC and FL that still think it's 1863. Raleigh & Cary and anywhere around the Research Triangle have gotten pretty expensive over the past few years. I heard Asheville is nice, but it's very isolated and far from the coast if that's your thing.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,166 times
charlotte is a great city, very diversified and getting better. I moved here 8 years ago from FL and have never looked back. if you have anymore questions about charlotte i am a realtor and know the area well.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpino View Post
charlotte is a great city, very diversified and getting better. I moved here 8 years ago from FL and have never looked back. if you have anymore questions about charlotte i am a realtor and know the area well.
My parents and I live in Florida on the space coast by Kennedy Space Center. We have lived here since 2005 and we HATE it here. My dad is a realtor and is seeking work because nothing is selling. We looking to move to NC but not sure where. We know nothing about it other then what we see driving through on I95. We all were born and raised in Maryland, so mountains and lakes and 4 seasons is all things we are very used too. We want to be away from the rat race but not to far from jobs. West NC is our main interest. Thinking around Charlotte. Where would you recommend a good area would be where theres work and still have the beauty of country living. Also, un related to this, I was wondering if theres still smoking aloud in public places up there? Cause I know when we would make stops to eat and there would still be smoking and non smoking areas. Both Florida and Maryland are completely smoke free now. I think even all bars in Maryland is smoke free. I know NC is a tobacco state, thats why was asking.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM

7,794 posts, read 16,412,077 times
We lived in Both NC and FL....We love Florida and there are quite a bit of differences between both...We lived in Charlotte and the people are different than in Florida....we have nice people in florida and not so nice, same in NC although for the most part NC the people are just friendlier and Nicer....The cost of living Depending on Where in FL one lives we are in South Florida and it is quite expensive to live...Car insurance is 1/2 in NC than opposed to South Florida...when we came to florida it wasn't as expensive as it is now it seems they keep having Hikes because of Fraud and non insured accidents is what Geico tells me, dh and I both have clean driving records and no accidents....Food is a bit comparable however they have Double and Triple coupons in NC if one uses them which Florida does not....Walmart is definitely cheaper in NC than in Florida.....and Housing is Much less in NC property Taxes, Cost of home, Size of Home etc...Florida has magnificent weather in my opinion love it Love the Palm Trees Love being near the Ocean and all the outdoor Dining and things like that....Both places are great....

Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM

103 posts, read 164,554 times
My daughter lives in NC ( Asheville ) and has had some pretty harsh winters since she has been there, Since most of the homes are built up on the sides of the mountains or on hilly roads the travel can be pretty treacherous during the ice and snow. I know my grandaugher had something like 20 + snow days one year. my daughter has had to purchase a four wheel drive vehicle. We too are looking to relocate but have have ruled out NC because of the state income tax and high cost of living. We love Florida but the high property tax, homeowners and car insurance has us seriously looking at Nevada instead. Not sure about the intense heat but at least there's little humidty.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,622,544 times
i live right outside of AVL. AVL is awesome. a little expensive, but everyone wants to be here. last winter was nothing. no snow at all except for flurries. 2 winters ago was rough. but not like up north.

i am from FL and like both for different reasons. AVL is so different from anywhere in FL , its hard to compare.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM

7,794 posts, read 16,412,077 times
its not a fair comparison from Ashville to Florida...lol My aunt and uncle have home in south florida and a home in the Smokey Mountains on a very large Hill..lol of NC right near Ashville and they say its not a fair comparison....But Raleigh and Charlotte you can certainly compare...

Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 AM

8,965 posts, read 4,622,544 times
Although I like FL and many family members still live there, and again, I would move back to FL for a few reasons, BUT i think RVAtoCNC does make some valid points. Do i think FL is the most corrupt state in the union? No. Definitely not. Do I think FL is a nice state in many areas? Absolutely. But i do see more of the (what RVAtoCNC calls) "sleazy carpet bagging, thieving, ambulance-chasing New Yorkers, thugs, criminals, the chronic homeless and criminally insane" in FL than I do in NC. I think FL has some great residents, but I think FL attracts more of the "seedy" element than NC does. I think overall, NC is friendlier with higher quality people (overall).

I think NC has some flaws too, higher taxes, high crime in areas (every state does), some folks - especially in the smaller towns - that are less friendly to outsiders, etc.. but again i think you can find that in many states as well.

I like both states for different reasons. I am trying to stay unbiased because in reality, I like both states a lot, for different reasons. I would choose FL over NC- mainly due to family reasons, and financial reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida