U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM

7,794 posts, read 16,414,483 times

Advertisements

That is correct Gator although where our children attended in Union county as well as the Middle and HS right over the border in South charlotte are also some of the best schools in Charlotte....as well as Chapel Hill/Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,279,854 times
[quote=ComSense;25270391]I think NC has some flaws too, higher taxes, high crime in areas (every state does), some folks - especially in the smaller towns - that are less friendly to outsiders, etc.. but again i think you can find that in many states as well.[quote]

I live in Cary, NC and can assure you it is a VERY safe place to live/raise a family. Many people who live here are transplants. We also have some of the best schools in the state.

If anything, this area is trying to keep up with growth from all of the transplants.

OP: If you are looking for quality of life, I'd look at either Cary or Chapel Hill. Best of luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 AM

18,260 posts, read 24,605,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's not much different in NC. The best districts are around high income/educated cities. The Chapel Hill school district is probably one of the best in the country. You can get yourself in the right zone in Raleigh though to attend a great school just like CH.
I agree, though it seems NC has more high income and/or educated cities than FL...in my observations from living in both states anyway.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 AM

5,507 posts, read 8,437,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, though it seems NC has more high income and/or educated cities than FL...in my observations from living in both states anyway.
Agree. Overall no large city in Florida has the education/income levels that Raleigh does. Probably Charlotte as well.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 AM

8,965 posts, read 4,628,652 times
[quote=escapenc;25356651][quote=ComSense;25270391]I think NC has some flaws too, higher taxes, high crime in areas (every state does), some folks - especially in the smaller towns - that are less friendly to outsiders, etc.. but again i think you can find that in many states as well.
Quote:

I live in Cary, NC and can assure you it is a VERY safe place to live/raise a family. Many people who live here are transplants. We also have some of the best schools in the state.

If anything, this area is trying to keep up with growth from all of the transplants.

OP: If you are looking for quality of life, I'd look at either Cary or Chapel Hill. Best of luck.

Agreed.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I think it's probably due to NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, UNC and those grads staying in the area.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 AM

7,794 posts, read 16,414,483 times
and what is funny about that is, some towns in South Florida anyway are ALOT more wealthier than some in NC from my experience....And A lot of the kids from my son's HS are attending NC Colleges as well as Florida Colleges so I guess it depends where they plan to put down roots....I agree with you Kyle from my personal experience in both states as well...I also think that alot of the kids going to college in NC do not go back to Florida for their careers depending on what they choose to do for a living/family etc....1 of my sons best friends attend UNC Charlotte and another one is going to Chapel Hill.....

Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Agree. Overall no large city in Florida has the education/income levels that Raleigh does. Probably Charlotte as well.
Miami comes closest and even smaller NC cities such as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham and Asheville exceed Miami's percent of residents with a college degree.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
and what is funny about that is, some towns in South Florida anyway are ALOT more wealthier than some in NC from my experience....And A lot of the kids from my son's HS are attending NC Colleges as well as Florida Colleges so I guess it depends where they plan to put down roots....I agree with you Kyle from my personal experience in both states as well...I also think that alot of the kids going to college in NC do not go back to Florida for their careers depending on what they choose to do for a living/family etc....1 of my sons best friends attend UNC Charlotte and another one is going to Chapel Hill.....
Very true, given the well-documented brain drain in cities like Orlando which is losing more college students than it graduates, who are being replaced by high school educated residents moving in for the mostly available lower paying service industry jobs.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Miami comes closest and even smaller NC cities such as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Durham and Asheville exceed Miami's percent of residents with a college degree.

I'm not suprised about Miami. I'd think Tampa and/or even Jax would be a higher percentage than Miami, but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida