U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:58 PM

166 posts, read 141,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Our FL property tax bill is not much more than it was in NC and we have a more expensive home. It really depends on exactly where one buys. We are in a very popular, upscale area.....but the tax rates are low. Go figure. Plus we save over $10,000/yr with no state income tax. Our pay is much higher in FL, as well. We came out WAY ahead in many ways and especially financially moving from NC to FL. Of course it will be different for everyone.
yes but where in Florida are you referring to? also what industry are you in? also according to your tax savings you make about $150k per year, not bad.

Also that's an interesting perspective, you're right that property tax increase could end up way lower than the income taxes saved, especially for high income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
It should be noted that NPG lives in a beautiful area of FL. Not everyone is that lucky. Living inland in Florida sucks so much. And at least for me, I'm going to NC with a good paying job in hand. I'll take 2-3 months of summer over 6-8.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:37 PM

166 posts, read 141,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It should be noted that NPG lives in a beautiful area of FL. Not everyone is that lucky. Living inland in Florida sucks so much. And at least for me, I'm going to NC with a good paying job in hand. I'll take 2-3 months of summer over 6-8.
6-8 months of summer sounds great to me!!

but good to know about inland florida, I had not desire to live inland anyways.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,911,115 times
You cannot compare an entire state to another entire state. Even in a small state like Massachusetts (where I grew up) Boston has a very different cost of living than a small town in the western part of the state. Actually, there are many threads comparing one city in Florida to another city in Florida.

RE: Taxes and Insurance

There are many different taxes. Property tax is usually by county. The property taxes where I'm currently staying in Western NC are very low. However, in Wake County (i.e., Raleigh) they're higher. However, if you live in Gainesville (Alachua County) you'll be paying much higher property tax than in Destin (Okaloosa County) for a comparable house. Florida in general has very high property tax and homeowners insurance, especially along the coast.

Auto Insurance is also very high in Florida, but it's a lot higher if you live in a city like Miami, which is about 56% higher than the state average. However, if you just moved from a city like Detroit, you'll be happy with any city in FL. MI has the highest rates in the USA and North Carolina has the lowest auto insurance rates in the country, according to CNBC and other ratings.

[URL="http://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/24/how-much-does-car-insurance-cost-in-your-state.html"]SOURCE[/URL]

RE: Traffic

Again, it really depends on where you live in any state. I'm currently living in a rural area and there's hardly any traffic at all. If I lived in a busy city, the traffic would be much more congested. Florida also has areas with traffic congestion and rural areas without much traffic depending on the population density.

One other thing to consider is sales tax. How much do you consume? If you spend a lot on cars, electronics, clothes and other items that are taxable, the sales tax will make a difference. For example, Alabama has some of the lowest property taxes in the country, but it taxes almost everything you buy, including food. I traveled in some areas where the sales tax was over 8%!

Anyway, I didn't realize until I wrote this comment that the OP began this thread in 2006. A lot has happened since 2006!

RE: Weather
I like the cooler weather in the mountains, especially this time of year. That will always be a personal choice.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:09 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,911,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
6-8 months of summer sounds great to me!!

but good to know about inland florida, I had not desire to live inland anyways.
I've spoken to several people in the past couple of months who told me they couldn't breathe it was so hot in Florida, but it really depends on where you live.

Keep in mind, it's not just the warm and sunny weather you need to cope with, but the high humidity and dew points. I've checked the weather regularly, since sometimes I miss Florida, and many evenings after midnight it's still over 80 degrees with the dew point hovering around 80. Yuck.

Again, if that's what you really like, then nobody else can say you'll be uncomfortable. After all, almost everything is air-conditioned.

Still, the other day I posted that the "real feel" in Tampa Bay was 114 F, according to Accuweather, and that sounds very hot and sticky to me. However, I read that the Pompeii worm can tolerate water temperatures as high as 176 degrees F. So every one of God's critters has a different tolerance.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 PM

8,706 posts, read 8,820,570 times
Quote:
Thx

No, I would not want to live inland either. If I was to live inland, there better be mountains when I look out my back window.....LOL!

Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,048,253 times
Well living inland Fla does not suck. What sucks is the crime and bad drivers of Orlando. That has nothing to do with inland.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:13 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,264,189 times
Quote:
Tons of FL natives have left for NC! 4 seasons is a huge deal.
and..... less crime, less idiots, less road rage, less traffic, nicer people... i could go on and on...

Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
and..... less crime, less idiots, less road rage, less traffic, nicer people... i could go on and on...
Less than a week now!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 PM

70 posts, read 60,930 times
I Have been in Florida for 35 years and it is pathetic. I am in Jax know which at least has a fall season.
The heat and humidity starts in April and doesn't let up till minimum October-November-December.
That means mold, roaches,mosquitoes, fire ants,bad tempers,torrential rain and lightning. The government is corrupt run by developers, which pillage the land and defraud the homeowners.
Highways are undersized which causes continuous traffic problem.
The landscape is a soul killer. Jobs are low paying. Alot of deranged people here seeking paradise.
No sense of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or