U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,662,222 times

Advertisements

IMO the gas price increase is one of the best things to happen to the country. waste and inefficiency are going to become a thing of the past. we might even start making things in our own country again. we might start driving smaller cars which don't go as fast and can stop on a dime (as opposed to the gas guzzling, dangerous suv's), we might start carpooling and actually rediscover talking to people on the way to work. we might even start to embrace a culture of quality over quantity eg 1/2 pairs of quality shoes against 25 pairs of crap. traffic might ease. we might have less urban sprawl and save some of our forests, countryside and wetlands. we might walk more and have less heart disease. we might actually rediscover the beauty of the place where we live instead of go halfway around the world to find something similar. we might think of insulating instead of putting in a bigger aircon, we might keep some of our money as opposed to giving it to nations hostile to us.

we might do all of this of our own free will and ingenuity before big goverment has a chance to ram some needless eco/green legislation down our throats!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 PM

2,517 posts, read 9,892,287 times
i am on the phone right now with Broward County transit. If I move to Port St.Lucie and have to work in Pembroke Pines, I will be taking Tri-rail from the northern most station....get off at Hollywood Blvd Station and take the bus to work.

Just got off the phone ! Yupeee. Gas problems Solved. I will be driving from PSL or the acreage (I will be living at one of these places) to the Tri-Rail station at Magnolia (furthest north station). I will take the train southbound and get off Hollywood Blvd. From there I hop onto a bus and take 2 bus connections to get me to work. This will save me 600 dollars a month. Well worth the hassle

Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 PM

443 posts, read 1,457,389 times
Default Republican vs democrat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The question should be-how will the citizens handle higher gas prices. Will they finally start to carpool? Will they finally stop wasting gas in the big suburban assault vehicles? Will they finally stop making unnecessary trips, and start combining trips? Will they walk more?

Let's face it, it's not up to the cities to start spending more money, which they don't have. It's up to the people to make the difference, not expect the city govenment to solve their problem.

Lily, you sound like the republican, I am with you..take some darn responsibility for the things you do
1) when below 82 drive with windows down
2) combine trips
3) dont drive anywhere you dont have to
4) car pool
5) walk more
yada yada yada.. why does the government always have to step in?

Old 05-17-2008, 11:09 AM

170 posts, read 693,340 times
i doubt gas will hit $5. the reason for the spike at the moment is people investing in gas anyone in economics will tell you this is a bubble and not built on fundamentals just investors trying to profit like they did with real estate before, and i cant wait for this bubble to burst too

Old 05-17-2008, 04:33 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,662,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich renter View Post
i doubt gas will hit $5. the reason for the spike at the moment is people investing in gas anyone in economics will tell you this is a bubble and not built on fundamentals just investors trying to profit like they did with real estate before, and i cant wait for this bubble to burst too
SUPPLY
Tracking Saudi Oil From Space - WSJ.com

World oil production: focus on non-OPEC supplies: a summary of the recent National Academy of Science workshop on supply and demand | World Oil | Find Articles at BNET.com

DEMAND
Tata Nano - world's cheapest new car is unveiled in India - Times Online

Travel and tourism | A new itinerary | Economist.com

no fundamentals?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Ten

163 posts, read 297,625 times
Of course the solution isn't more government. The reason gas costs what it is is bad government. Stop seeing the government as a service provider. It's not. It's a rights-protector, not a nanny.

The solution is gas and oil development. Decades of misled environmentalism ruined the domestic industry and now foreign dependencyis holding the US hostage to hostile marketeers.

The amazing irony is that the political left in the US caused the very thing they accuse the right of: They made necessary "wars for oil", which are the height of economic folly even though the US imports a smaller percentage of oil from the mideast than it does from the western hemisphere.

Develop domestic sources -- we're sitting on vast reserves ruled off-limits by envirowhackos. Not that manmade global warming has been exposed as myth, what are we waiting for? Other than the 20 years it takes to build new infrastructure that we control, that is.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 AM

6,954 posts, read 12,439,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post
Lily, you sound like the republican, I am with you..take some darn responsibility for the things you do
1) when below 82 drive with windows down
2) combine trips
3) dont drive anywhere you dont have to
4) car pool
5) walk more
yada yada yada.. why does the government always have to step in?
Because there was not one item on your list for people in big metro areas, where transit should and has to be part of life.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Of course the solution isn't more government. The reason gas costs what it is is bad government. Stop seeing the government as a service provider. It's not. It's a rights-protector, not a nanny.

The solution is gas and oil development. Decades of misled environmentalism ruined the domestic industry and now foreign dependencyis holding the US hostage to hostile marketeers.

The amazing irony is that the political left in the US caused the very thing they accuse the right of: They made necessary "wars for oil", which are the height of economic folly even though the US imports a smaller percentage of oil from the mideast than it does from the western hemisphere.

Develop domestic sources -- we're sitting on vast reserves ruled off-limits by envirowhackos. Not that manmade global warming has been exposed as myth, what are we waiting for? Other than the 20 years it takes to build new infrastructure that we control, that is.
The point to my post was and I guess I should have just wrote it out. Was Florida doing anything in its populated areas to get people out of their cars. Giving them some other options besides the car. Which if anyone has lived or visited in that state is total car dependence even in big cities like Tampa. However I feel like I am insulting many people in Florida if I mention the word transit.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 05-18-2008 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Ten

163 posts, read 297,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Was Florida doing anything in its populated areas to get people out of their cars ... However I feel like I am insulting many people in Florida if I mention the word transit.
By what fiscally-sound collectivized means would Florida "get people out of their cars"? Big, tax-and-spend transit programs are frequently a worse cure than the problem.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Thank you for your inputs. This is the wrong state to ask this question. No wonder you have the problems you have there. Good Luck. THREAD CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida