U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,953 posts, read 12,436,090 times
Reputation: 8630

Advertisements

I am curious as to what if any action will be taken by Florida's major cities as the gas prices increase. There is a strong possiblity that by this time next year we will have gone over $5.00 or quite higher. I get the impression nothing is being done other than Ft Lauderdale has mentioned a transit project. Well at least then one location is thinking about it. With as much sprawl and long distance driving in Florida and its metro areas, I would think many would really be considering their options now. However like I said I don't get the impression many think about it , beyond the common complaints the gas is too high.

 
Old 05-13-2008, 05:50 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 7,183,957 times
Reputation: 1138
The question should be-how will the citizens handle higher gas prices. Will they finally start to carpool? Will they finally stop wasting gas in the big suburban assault vehicles? Will they finally stop making unnecessary trips, and start combining trips? Will they walk more?

Let's face it, it's not up to the cities to start spending more money, which they don't have. It's up to the people to make the difference, not expect the city govenment to solve their problem.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 AM
 
15,115 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Reputation: 18214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The question should be-how will the citizens handle higher gas prices. Will they finally start to carpool? Will they finally stop wasting gas in the big suburban assault vehicles? Will they finally stop making unnecessary trips, and start combining trips? Will they walk more?

Let's face it, it's not up to the cities to start spending more money, which they don't have. It's up to the people to make the difference, not expect the city govenment to solve their problem.
Totally agree. We live in-town in Lakeland, and I can walk to almost everything I need, and everything else I need is only a couple miles away. I have also read that our very nice bus service is increasing their ridership every day. It really is totally up to the individual not the cities to solve this problem. Even if cities WANTED to build more mass transit, it would take decades and cost a tremendous amount, which we, the citizens, would ultimately pay for.

It's good for people to learn to conserve - learn to live "smaller" and with less.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 AM
 
3,842 posts, read 9,413,910 times
Reputation: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The question should be-how will the citizens handle higher gas prices. Will they finally start to carpool? Will they finally stop wasting gas in the big suburban assault vehicles? Will they finally stop making unnecessary trips, and start combining trips? Will they walk more?

Let's face it, it's not up to the cities to start spending more money, which they don't have. It's up to the people to make the difference, not expect the city govenment to solve their problem.
Excellent post that can be applied to most major areas & way too many people.

I actually prefer taking public transportation. I get to sit back, read, & not deal with traffic.

It can be difficult for those who WANT to take public transpo but there is none in the area they live. That is the unfortunate part, especially as gas prices start to knock the wind out of those who survive on minumum wage.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,953 posts, read 12,436,090 times
Reputation: 8630
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Totally agree. We live in-town in Lakeland, and I can walk to almost everything I need, and everything else I need is only a couple miles away. I have also read that our very nice bus service is increasing their ridership every day. It really is totally up to the individual not the cities to solve this problem. Even if cities WANTED to build more mass transit, it would take decades and cost a tremendous amount, which we, the citizens, would ultimately pay for.

It's good for people to learn to conserve - learn to live "smaller" and with less.
You live in one of the very few places in florida where one can walk or take a bus anywhere. So since everyone in Florida can't live in Lakeland and most places have nothing for transit or are even remotely walkable even much bigger areas. I just wondered what people will do, because it seems like its a combination effort, cities and the general population. Even if some of these communites have little bus service, they could increase it so people that can't afford the gas had at least another option. You made a good choice moving to Lakeland, but Im thinking many are having to do alot of driving daily to go to work in Tampa and Orlando areas. I don't see how they will afford the commutes and will have no other choices. I completely agree it is very good for people to learn to conserve. Im just not so sure how it is done in Florida, because so much of it is so car dependent and alot of miles driving back and forth.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,953 posts, read 12,436,090 times
Reputation: 8630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Excellent post that can be applied to most major areas & way too many people.

I actually prefer taking public transportation. I get to sit back, read, & not deal with traffic.

It can be difficult for those who WANT to take public transpo but there is none in the area they live. That is the unfortunate part, especially as gas prices start to knock the wind out of those who survive on minumum wage.
Yes that was the point to my thread, the difficulty if nothing exists beyond the car. The state or cities don't need to build expensive transit projects, rail etc. but an extensive bus system in cities would help as the cost of gas skyrockets.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,493,483 times
Reputation: 134
We live in Port Saint Lucie and do not have a real transit system. Over 80 sq miles in Saint Lucie County. So it's Drive, Drive and Drive to get most places. We are not using my husbands pick-up truck much and are driving my smaller V6. I paid 4.00 a gallon today. (got sick to my stomach from that one) But that car gets better gas mileage. We buy more food at one time so less shopping trips. My son sold his SUV for a smaller vehicle they were lugging three kids around, between work and school over 300 dollars a week in gas. It's tough out there.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,953 posts, read 12,436,090 times
Reputation: 8630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyb0077 View Post
We live in Port Saint Lucie and do not have a real transit system. Over 80 sq miles in Saint Lucie County. So it's Drive, Drive and Drive to get most places. We are not using my husbands pick-up truck much and are driving my smaller V6. I paid 4.00 a gallon today. (got sick to my stomach from that one) But that car gets better gas mileage. We buy more food at one time so less shopping trips. My son sold his SUV for a smaller vehicle they were lugging three kids around, between work and school over 300 dollars a week in gas. It's tough out there.
Good for you, Im glad you are finding some ways to deal with all of this.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
 
Location: downtown Sarasota
4,723 posts, read 12,392,682 times
Reputation: 2029
Sarasota and Manatee counties actually have a fantastic mass transit system. I am now taking advantage of riding the bus to work...$1.50/roundtrip vs. $4.00/in my 4runner. That's a savings of $50.00/month just to get to work. Everyone needs to learn a bus schedule that can...I say ban gasing up as much as you can.

Being downtown, in Sarasota, I can walk everywhere I need to go, no real need to use the auto.
 
Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach, FL & Napa, CA
2,093 posts, read 4,844,296 times
Reputation: 987
Tri-Rail and Palm Tran is the only solution and for the average person it's not a good solution, especially if you live out west.

Gas prices are already up over $4/gallon on Belvedere near PBIA and that's for Regular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top