Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 AM

71 posts, read 102,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Different strokes for different folks and I’m glad you found your slice, but you probably weren’t looking for the most “urban” and “walkable” areas of Florida either.

Hey what’s the most urban and walkable area of NY State?! But it can’t be NYC so please don’t recommend that!
Tbh most big towns in NY are usually pretty walkable.
I've been to Buffalo, Troy, Rochester, and for the most part if you live within the city limits.
Its pretty easy to get around without a car.
Even in some suburbs like Menands (which is like 15 Mins outside of Albany). Most people have a deli or corner store not to far from their place of residence.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 11:44 AM

577 posts, read 568,943 times
That's the big trade-off with Florida. People here still equate walkable and public transit with Big City, and liveable with Rich and Suburban.

You might be able to get something out of Wilton Manors or Downtown Orlando. But you won't get public transit, and you are going to need a car one way or the other.

Unfortunately you have to choose the tropical environment or transit. You could consider Denver, which I think has a lot of what you are looking for, other than it is not as lush and does occasionally get cold and snow. You can also check out San Fransisco area, which will have that walk ability and transit, but won't be so warm, and is quite expensive.

But I am with you. I really, really wish South Florida would figure it out t some point.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:52 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
That's the big trade-off with Florida. People here still equate walkable and public transit with Big City, and liveable with Rich and Suburban.

You might be able to get something out of Wilton Manors or Downtown Orlando. But you won't get public transit, and you are going to need a car one way or the other.

Unfortunately you have to choose the tropical environment or transit. You could consider Denver, which I think has a lot of what you are looking for, other than it is not as lush and does occasionally get cold and snow. You can also check out San Fransisco area, which will have that walk ability and transit, but won't be so warm, and is quite expensive.

But I am with you. I really, really wish South Florida would figure it out t some point.
Nowadays you can KIND of get by in Downtown Orlando (and adjacent neighborhoods -- Ivanhoe, Thornton, South Eola, Eola Heights, Baldwin Park, etc.) without a car... As pretty much everything is easily accessible on foot or bike. I did it for a year in Baldwin, and know several who operate that way as well. Well, I HAD a car, for weekend trips out of town with my kids' sports functions. But that was it. If you need to go a bit farther than usual, Uber/Lyft is there. If you need more groceries than you can carry, tons of delivery options. I didn't miss the use of a car when I lived in Baldwin. Where I am now absolutely requires it.

Orlando, Miami and St-Pete are the only places I can think of where one can really live car-free. You'll have to adapt to change, as most transit stops are in odd locations, especially with Sunrail in Orlando. The Sunrail stops in Lake Mary and Sanford, for instance, don't drop you off in the heart of town. The two downtown Orlando stops, the Princeton stop, the Sodo stop, and the Winter Park stop, do, however.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:40 PM

161 posts, read 127,865 times
I'm a Floridian. Trust me. You don't want to walk. Unless you don't mind staying in a very narrow corridor. There is no way to get around Florida cities except drive.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:00 AM

577 posts, read 568,943 times
Downtown Ft Lauderdale might be getting there. There are a few local markets - certainly nightlife/restaurants are easily accessible. Unfortunately Federal is this big divider, and to a lesser extent the river. But that might be an option.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:14 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace512 View Post
I'm a Floridian. Trust me. You don't want to walk. Unless you don't mind staying in a very narrow corridor. There is no way to get around Florida cities except drive.
I am a native Floridian and I agree. It is too hot(or rainy) most of the year to walk everywhere. And as mentioned earlier, most cities will only have semi-walkable areas anyway, meaning everything like groceries and entertainment all close to each other and close to home. Here in Florida most things are spread out, and there is little public transit.

If one is young and able, can live in or near a downtown and also use a bike it is do-able. For most it is not.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:42 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Nowadays you can KIND of get by in Downtown Orlando (and adjacent neighborhoods -- Ivanhoe, Thornton, South Eola, Eola Heights, Baldwin Park, etc.) without a car... As pretty much everything is easily accessible on foot or bike. I did it for a year in Baldwin, and know several who operate that way as well. Well, I HAD a car, for weekend trips out of town with my kids' sports functions. But that was it. If you need to go a bit farther than usual, Uber/Lyft is there. If you need more groceries than you can carry, tons of delivery options. I didn't miss the use of a car when I lived in Baldwin. Where I am now absolutely requires it.

Orlando, Miami and St-Pete are the only places I can think of where one can really live car-free. You'll have to adapt to change, as most transit stops are in odd locations, especially with Sunrail in Orlando. The Sunrail stops in Lake Mary and Sanford, for instance, don't drop you off in the heart of town. The two downtown Orlando stops, the Princeton stop, the Sodo stop, and the Winter Park stop, do, however.
Jacksonville surprinsgly have a high bus rider ship to despite it being sprawled out. It has over 50 bus lines, 3 express lines, and a light rail. You have a urban core in Jax that's 30 sq miles, and a lightrail. Having a car is definitely preferred (especially in the summer) but my experience riding the bus was do-able. I was there was bus access to Oceanway/San Mateo since that's where most of my friends live there.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:19 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Jacksonville surprinsgly have a high bus rider ship to despite it being sprawled out. It has over 50 bus lines, 3 express lines, and a light rail. You have a urban core in Jax that's 30 sq miles, and a lightrail. Having a car is definitely preferred (especially in the summer) but my experience riding the bus was do-able. I was there was bus access to Oceanway/San Mateo since that's where most of my friends live there.
I can believe that. I am not as familiar with Jacksonville as I am with the rest of Florida, as most of my stays there revolve around my son's soccer games, which are typically in the outskirts (Ponte Vedra, etc.) where one absolutely needs a car.
I did stay in San Marco once, and I can see living car-free there being a possibility.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:10 PM

169 posts, read 126,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Jacksonville doesn’t have light rail. Not sure what you’re referring to. I lived there for a year and though I can’t speak for its bus ridership, the rail it does have (The Skyway, which is a people mover/monorail) is worthless, pointless, decrepit, and totally unused, is only 2.5 miles around the city and mostly inhabited by homeless.

There is a plan for tax dollars to fund an expansion of the Skyway into autonomous vehicles called U2C but it hasn’t been finalized yet.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:34 PM

40 posts, read 28,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
What an odd request from the OP to desire walkable areas and then count Miami out when it has the most built up infrastructure, public transportation options, and walkable neighborhoods and is located in the largest MSA in Florida. Then they go on to list huge population cities like Montreal, Lisbon, and DC.

Wouldn’t it dawn on you the most built up urban area in Florida would most likely fit your requirements? Or is the Miami area excluded from consideration from you due to other factors?
I didn't rule out Miami, just south beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida