Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 08:24 PM

216 posts, read 271,819 times

Advertisements

Need help with breaking this tie. Looking to relocate outside of Orlando for a number of reasons. Definitely want to be on the Atlantic side, no interest in the gulf.

I have narrowed the choices to St. Augustine and Stuart. Pros to both are fairly affordable houses within 15-20 minutes to the ocean. Budget is 400-500k, don't need anything enormous but a minimum of 1,800-2k sq ft. St Augustine gets the nod on schools but Stuart also appears to have some good public schools sprinkled in. Stuart is closer to family as I have a bit of family located in Aventura. Also, it's close to Jupiter/West Palm area which has good amount of fun restaurants/bars.

St. Augustine overall seems to deliver the most value and excellent schools but idk my concern is potentially getting a bit bored there. I have never been a huge fan of Jacksonville from previous visits.

Any suggestions to one or the other?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 06:37 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
In terms of boredom, what do you perceive that Jacksonville does not possess that you would find living in Stuart?

Old 08-16-2021, 07:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
I'd be more concerned about differences in winter weather between those two areas. Convenient offshore activities, if that's a consideration, no comparison between the two.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:21 PM

145 posts, read 163,290 times
For Stuart, you will also be close to Port St. Lucie for shopping and medical care. Distances to Orlando are similar for both Stuart and St. Augustine.

Stuart will have the upper hand for weather and offshore fishing due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream to shore. Martin County schools rank a little lower than St. Johns County, but the difference is not significant.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of boredom, what do you perceive that Jacksonville does not possess that you would find living in Stuart?
Yeah I guess Jacksonville should have most everything nearby as palm beach county would to Stuart.

Forgot to factor in st augustine would actually get a bit of a winter.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:41 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,743,943 times
Stuart is probably as close to West Palm as St. Augustine is to Jacksonville. This might be why they hold some similarities in schools, suburban housing/amenities, entertainment options, etc. as medium-sized "satellite cities" where people live close enough to a large city to take advantage of large-city events, but don't have to endure large-city crime and traffic nightmares.

I've lived in Stuart for ~10 yrs, and I don't recall it ever having dipped below freezing, though we've come close. If you like wearing coats and sweaters, you won't get many opportunities here. St. Aug probably has Stuart beaten when it comes to restaurants, mostly due to the higher tourist traffic in St. Aug---I don't think Stuart could be classified a "tourist mecca," even though there is a small, tourist-y downtown area.

When I've visited St. John's County, it has the feeling of being on the cusp of a large building boom. Many areas had large swathes of land clear-cut and marked off for tract housing, shopping centers, etc. to be built. Martin County has historically been much more reluctant to "over-build", even being accused sometimes in the past of being "anti-development". There are still projects underway---Costco is soon to arrive after nearly a decade of begging for approval--but the local government is more reluctant (suspicious?) of large-scale development.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Stuart is probably as close to West Palm as St. Augustine is to Jacksonville. This might be why they hold some similarities in schools, suburban housing/amenities, entertainment options, etc. as medium-sized "satellite cities" where people live close enough to a large city to take advantage of large-city events, but don't have to endure large-city crime and traffic nightmares.

I've lived in Stuart for ~10 yrs, and I don't recall it ever having dipped below freezing, though we've come close. If you like wearing coats and sweaters, you won't get many opportunities here. St. Aug probably has Stuart beaten when it comes to restaurants, mostly due to the higher tourist traffic in St. Aug---I don't think Stuart could be classified a "tourist mecca," even though there is a small, tourist-y downtown area.

When I've visited St. John's County, it has the feeling of being on the cusp of a large building boom. Many areas had large swathes of land clear-cut and marked off for tract housing, shopping centers, etc. to be built. Martin County has historically been much more reluctant to "over-build", even being accused sometimes in the past of being "anti-development". There are still projects underway---Costco is soon to arrive after nearly a decade of begging for approval--but the local government is more reluctant (suspicious?) of large-scale development.
Thanks for the input. There is a lot of building that has and still currently happening in and around St. Augustine. Our favorite time to go to the beach is actually in the fall/spring months so would get more days by the water in Stuart. I work remotely so no concerns on work commutes. Hopefully Costco gets approved seems like a pain to have to drive to West Palm anytime you want to go there. Seems like they could justify it being there between PSL and Stuart residents.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:00 PM

85 posts, read 57,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Some of the best sportfishing in the world. A much lower crime rate. More affordable housing.

Jax is a complete and utter garbage dump.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 38,611 times
We're on the other coast in Bradenton/Sarasota area, about 15 years here. Eek, hope it doesn't get crazy over developed there. Here is so so so bad. The development is INSANE. Happened so quick and is really overwhelming. Trying to find that quaint-ish feeling FL town and hoping Stuart might be it. Sounds like I need to come for a visit, I haven't been in 7 years I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida