Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 09:35 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

I'm from MO so I still watch the MO forum from time to time and another poster just posted they're seeing California plates in their area as well and just had another one move next to them in Southern Missouri.

Hopefully it's not the liberal kind. At least the observations I'm seeing down here when I see California plates they're typically not luxury cars, just regular cars. That tells me it's the working class moving here because they can't afford to live in California.

I can see why Southern Missouri. The climate is similar to central and eastern TN, cold winter weather doesn't stay for long periods and you have really nice lakes and have several days in the winter you can get away with a t shirt in the afternoon. Also cost of living is very cheap in Missouri. You can sell your house in California and get a huge one in Missouri. I hear however houses by the lakes like Table Rock have really gone up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy3 View Post
People will continue to leave California's craziness. Good for Missouri.

Florida will be attractive for its climate, opportunity and for not being governed to death.
California is still attractive if you're educated, in the tech field, cosmetic surgery, famous , rich, etc. Can't deny it the earning potential is certainly higher in California, and Miami and Orlando can't compare to Los Angeles or Hollywood. Los Angeles area for the wealthy and famous still is far better than LA.

I could never live in modern California, too liberal. Even Florida is too liberal for my taste in a lot of ways, especially gun laws.

But LA still has more to offer than FL and I won't deny it. Second largest city in the US and the center of entertainment.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:23 AM

89 posts, read 153,404 times
the atmosphere here in central FL (a lot of Lake and Orange county) is very liberal or "NPC" like. Only once you start getting into Sumter county (Wildwood, Bushnell, etc) do things seem more conservative. Or more like FL in my opinion. Or the way FL should be/used to be. But of course that is just my opinion..

Old 10-23-2021, 09:04 AM

17,139 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
the atmosphere here in central FL (a lot of Lake and Orange county) is very liberal or "NPC" like. Only once you start getting into Sumter county (Wildwood, Bushnell, etc) do things seem more conservative. Or more like FL in my opinion. Or the way FL should be/used to be. But of course that is just my opinion..
Aside from Clermont, where in Lake County do you see much liberal influence? I lived in Mount Dora for years, and still regularly go to Eustis and Grand Island, and by all measures I have seen and experienced, it is quite conservative. I believe the votes are normally 2/3 republican too.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:35 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
California is still attractive if you're educated, in the tech field, cosmetic surgery, famous , rich, etc. Can't deny it the earning potential is certainly higher in California, and Miami and Orlando can't compare to Los Angeles or Hollywood. Los Angeles area for the wealthy and famous still is far better than LA.

I could never live in modern California, too liberal. Even Florida is too liberal for my taste in a lot of ways, especially gun laws.

But LA still has more to offer than FL and I won't deny it. Second largest city in the US and the center of entertainment.
It's just one person's opinion, but a popular personal finance expert said that he thinks people enjoy California when they are young. But then when they hit a certain age (starting a family or turning 40???), they hit a brick wall and it doesn't appeal to them anymore. He surmised that a lot of it had to do with single family home affordability. I wonder how much credence there is to that.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:08 AM

145 posts, read 163,061 times
I noticed that some rural counties in Florida have shrunk in population according to the U.S. Census. Out of these counties, I have a feeling that Gadsden and Jefferson Counties might grow by the 2030 Census since they are right next door to Tallahassee. Gulf County will probably grow because of clean-up from Hurricane Michael and the proximity to Panama City.

As of now, the shrinking counties are the most affordable parts of Florida right now, and they will probably stay that way for many years.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:33 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRail View Post
I noticed that some rural counties in Florida have shrunk in population according to the U.S. Census. Out of these counties, I have a feeling that Gadsden and Jefferson Counties might grow by the 2030 Census since they are right next door to Tallahassee. Gulf County will probably grow because of clean-up from Hurricane Michael and the proximity to Panama City.

As of now, the shrinking counties are the most affordable parts of Florida right now, and they will probably stay that way for many years.
Most people want to be w/in 30 minute drive to the beach in Florida. Those are the areas filling up fast. The centerof the state is lagging, but some day, it will fill up too. 1 hour to the beach is better than most Americans have.

Old 10-23-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRail View Post

Rural Counties any MANY states have been shrinking the last 20 years. There isn't a lot of jobs in rural counties like places like Tampa and Jacksonville.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:10 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most people want to be w/in 30 minute drive to the beach in Florida. Those are the areas filling up fast. The centerof the state is lagging, but some day, it will fill up too. 1 hour to the beach is better than most Americans have.
Not necessarily true. Lakeland-Winter Haven is the #2 fastest growing (midsize metro) in the US

https://lacrossetribune.com/lifestyl...4c50dbb.html#4

I live here and I can attest to the fact it is growing like crazy. I do not necessarily consider that a good thing, mind you, but it is what it is.

Old 10-23-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Not necessarily true. Lakeland-Winter Haven is the #2 fastest growing (midsize metro) in the US

https://lacrossetribune.com/lifestyl...4c50dbb.html#4

I live here and I can attest to the fact it is growing like crazy. I do not necessarily consider that a good thing, mind you, but it is what it is.
I posted about it before but it seems when Publix started to Massively expand in the 1990s is when Lakeland area started to take off. Not only HQ but the supporting industries around it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida